Sponsored

HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Oh, man. That actually might be significantly better. I wish I knew what kind of plug was on the end. And I also wish I knew for certain the plug on the camera end is the same as the one on the back of my Jeep. The gladiator cameras are more expensive because they come with the camera housing, but I’m not sure if there is any difference in the camera itself. I’m gonna see if I can find a photo of the connections and compare it to mine.

Your Pi looks like it’s coming along nicely. What are you going to use for a screen, and how much do you have invested so far?
You should contact the Mopar parts sponsor here. I bet they’d be willing to send some parts over or atleast take picture for you. Its totally in their interest for you to make this work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
You should contact the Mopar parts sponsor here. I bet they’d be willing to send some parts over or atleast take picture for you. Its totally in their interest for you to make this work.
Any idea how I could identify who that is?

I removed my rear camera yesterday to get a good look at it, and it’s just a fakra connection. I’d bet anything it’s the same on the front, and that makes everything much easier because there are no proprietary connections to deal with. All you will need is a camera and an RG174 Coax cable with fakra connections on both ends. And of course the video switcher.

My question now is whether the rear camera mirrors the image before it is sent to the head unit. I know the head unit allows us to select whether or not to mirror the image, but many reverse cameras natively flip the image. If this is the case, when the user selects to view a non-mirrored image the head unit would actually be mirroring an already mirrored image to display a non-mirrored image. (I wish there was a less confusing way to write this.)

Anyway, if the OEM reverse camera does not send a mirrored image, and the OEM front camera is also not mirrored, then one of the two will be oriented incorrectly on the display. The image from the front camera would need to be reversed so the head unit will reverse it again and it will appear correct. This poses a significant problem because I don’t know where to procure LVDS cameras other than direct from FCA.

A second, less major issue is the parking guides that are displayed on the screen. I’m pretty sure these are generated by the head unit, so they will be displayed (or not displayed) for both cameras, depending on what the user has selected. This shouldn’t be an issue because they will curve in the correct direction as long as the mirroring issue is handled correctly.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Anyway, if the OEM reverse camera does not send a mirrored image, and the OEM front camera is also not mirrored, then one of the two will be oriented incorrectly on the display. The image from the front camera would need to be reversed so the head unit will reverse it again and it will appear correct. This poses a significant problem because I don’t know where to procure LVDS cameras other than direct from FCA.
Worst case scenario, you'll need to buy a reverse/mirrored adapter/camera for the front?

Alternatively mount a separate screen for permanently turned on cameras and use the head unit for other stuff. You can forget the fakra and fix your own cameras.

AllMoparParts.com

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think he means Benny from @AllMoparParts.com
Any idea how I could identify who that is?

I removed my rear camera yesterday to get a good look at it, and it’s just a fakra connection. I’d bet anything it’s the same on the front, and that makes everything much easier because there are no proprietary connections to deal with. All you will need is a camera and an RG174 Coax cable with fakra connections on both ends. And of course the video switcher.

My question now is whether the rear camera mirrors the image before it is sent to the head unit. I know the head unit allows us to select whether or not to mirror the image, but many reverse cameras natively flip the image. If this is the case, when the user selects to view a non-mirrored image the head unit would actually be mirroring an already mirrored image to display a non-mirrored image. (I wish there was a less confusing way to write this.)

A second, less major issue is the parking guides that are displayed on the screen. I’m pretty sure these are generated by the head unit, so they will be displayed (or not displayed) for both cameras, depending on what the user has selected. This shouldn’t be an issue because they will curve in the correct direction as long as the mirroring issue is handled correctly.
I think he means Benny from @AllMoparParts.com

Please clarify what we are looking for and I will look into it

- Benny

Sponsored

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Like the effort and want to share what I learned about the front facing OEM camera, all of the settings are enabled in the touch screen, reverse, backup lines etc. I would look into other auto cameras to test that are LVDS, a junk yard might be the call since you are not a venture capitalist, maybe a gladiator can be found. I bet most newer GM cars that have a backup camera will have a similar connection/camera and for your testing that would be enough. Once you get a signal to the screen and verify all the parts work the way you want - keeping the camera on without a tazer isnt something I know you can do, then look into a better camera. Also go test drive a new Gladiator, the camera is nice but for really actually wheeling a single forward camera might not be enough, which is the last point, make sure your goal is actually reachable - what are you going to use the front camera for? I am leaning towards a multi camera setup with a split screen display, found one that does 1-4 cameras and I think 3 would be the best (1 wide angle in the middle of the vehicle - top of 3, then 2 normal angle on each edge of the bumper pointed down and out - bottom 2 of 3 cameras on display), but I am setting up for rock crawling.
This is what I am looking at - another screen on the dash is the biggest drawback, but better viewing angle for using while driving
Amazon

Sponsored

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
...the camera is nice but for really actually wheeling a single forward camera might not be enough, which is the last point, make sure your goal is actually reachable - what are you going to use the front camera for?
Amazon
Honestly, the challenge itself is the only real reason I want to do it. There are a ton of people interested in this, but the only halfway decent option will set you back about $520. I think we should be able to plug in a front camera, a 360-degree camera setup, or whatever other video source we want in place of the rear camera. The real hurdle here has been nothing more than a lack of knowledge, and there is very little reliable documentation available.

What I have determined so far is the one HD video input at the rear of the head unit has a Fakra connection mated to an RG-174 coaxial cable. The signal is LVDS, which is digital. The biggest hurdle is virtually all aftermarket camera setups are CMOS, which is an analog signal. I have not been able to find any camera that will work other than OEM. I believe there is a good chance the head unit will display any LVDS signal that is properly connected. It seems SMA, SMB, BMC, and other 50 ohm connectors in the same family are appropriate to make a connection, but other connectors will not work because of the introduction of RF interference.

The next issue is to determine if we can use a switcher to select between video inputs. I have had some promising results, but since I don't have a second camera my testing has been limited. At this point, I just don't have the motivation to spend another $100 for a second OEM rear camera. Once I get my hands on a camera (anyone want to lend me one?) I can test the switchers I have and possibly know once and for all if this can be done much easier and much less expensive than any other option currently available. I've personally spent about $600 experimenting, but I believe if the most promising setup I've identified can be reliably duplicated for about $30 plus the cost of a second camera (or whatever video source you want to use)

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
I think the chinese 360 and bsv systems use an lvds switcher and it appears their switcher accepts non lvds inputs. I will see if I can source one.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I think the chinese 360 and bsv systems use an lvds switcher and it appears their switcher accepts non lvds inputs. I will see if I can source one.
The two I looked into were pure CDMA, and I was told I would need to provide my own converter.

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
The two I looked into were pure CDMA, and I was told I would need to provide my own converter.
if you look at this image on the site (you can blow it up on a PC) it has lvds input and has inputs for other types of cameras also. I think it is similar to the FOSP site I posted previously. I have a friend of mine translating that site and determining how I can acquire the equipment.

https://reversecamera.com/products/2019-jeep-wrangler-jl-7-hd-front-side-camera-input-module

Did some more searching and found this product:
https://www.fosp.cn/productinfo/190300.html

All file downloads available here: https://www.fosp.cn/fwzc

Here is the detailed schematic for the Jeep product:
https://www.fosp.cn/filedownload/205391

Last edited:

LukeR

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I like the way this is going. I was hoping to find a solution to hook up a second camera on the back of my RV and be able to switch back and forth based on if I was towing it at the time. I think this will work for that once it can be figured out.
Sponsored