DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t see the point of a front-facing camera. I get out of the vehicle, analyze the terrain, pick my line, memorize terrain association details, then I drive. Barring that, I use a spotter.

A front camera seems...lazy.
Go somewhere with extremely steep climbs and you'll see the benefit. I'm going to mount one underneath my Jeep looking forward. I can then help the pumpkin dodge rocks and it might even help with tire placement. I haven't done it yet, but I've got a Tazer JL and a camera and the wiring. I just have to decide to do it. Maybe a fall or winter project.
Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Understood, and I apologize. I was out of line. Anything to keep you safe is very good. I was being too dismissively old-school and in military mindset. I’ve literally had to go rock-crawling in a HMMWV by myself in Ft. Bliss/White Sands/Mcgregor Range. We didn’t have cameras, sometimes we didn’t have an A-driver to spot, and we had a time hack to meet. We did what was SOP in those situations and there were zero accidents or damaged vehicles. I’m not explaining this as an excuse; only explaining my mindset on this issue. I am sorry.
Thank you for your service. I lived out at McGregor Range for a couple of years back in the 80s. Retired from the Army and now I fly. Everytime I fly to LAX we fly over El Paso/White Sands and I can clearly see all of McGregor. A lot of fond memories out there. Thank you for bringing back some old memories.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Understood, and I apologize. I was out of line. Anything to keep you safe is very good. I was being too dismissively old-school and in military mindset. I’ve literally had to go rock-crawling in a HMMWV by myself in Ft. Bliss/White Sands/Mcgregor Range. We didn’t have cameras, sometimes we didn’t have an A-driver to spot, and we had a time hack to meet. We did what was SOP in those situations and there were zero accidents or damaged vehicles. I’m not explaining this as an excuse; only explaining my mindset on this issue. I am sorry.
Lol, in other words, you did some REAL wheeling! I do remember my old YJ. Did a lot of SOP driving with it, but unlike you, I did leave some paint on some trees and rocks. I wiped a front fender off on a muddy slide down a hill once with it!

Thank you both for your service! We wouldn't be able to have all this fun without guys like you keeping the wolves away!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, in other words, you did some REAL wheeling! I do remember my old YJ. Did a lot of SOP driving with it, but unlike you, I did leave some paint on some trees and rocks. I wiped a front fender off on a muddy slide down a hill once with it!

Thank you both for your service! We wouldn't be able to have all this fun without guys like you keeping the wolves away!
You’re welcome! By the way, I didn’t say that we didn’t scrape paint. We didn’t consider that to be damage. As long as the vehicle wasn’t deadlined, it wasn’t “damaged.” LOL

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your service. I lived out at McGregor Range for a couple of years back in the 80s. Retired from the Army and now I fly. Everytime I fly to LAX we fly over El Paso/White Sands and I can clearly see all of McGregor. A lot of fond memories out there. Thank you for bringing back some old memories.
Thank you for your service, sir! My brother is a retired USAF pilot; he flew into and out of Biggs a few times. Good times.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious if any one has mounted some form of backup camera as a front facing camera, I just bought a Garmin Overlander for trail navigation, it can use a wireless backup camera, was thinking of installing one up front instead
I finally did it tonight, with the front camera mounted on a cross-member underneath! Instead of the front camera/Tazer combo, which would have required running a wire inside the cab and then connecting to the head unit, I used a Garmin Overlander and wireless camera. (It has a wire, but only for power. It connects to the Overlander via wifi).

My very early impression is that this is going to work pretty well. We shall see when we get it out of the garage.

9HyBqey.jpg

The lighting is low and a bit weird inside the garage. We'll see how it looks in the daylight tomorrow, on the road. I plan to use it to spot for wheel placement and avoiding striking the differential housing. There is a little more info here... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-camera-forward-facing-under-the-jeep.49313/

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I don’t see the point of a front-facing camera. I get out of the vehicle, analyze the terrain, pick my line, memorize terrain association details, then I drive. Barring that, I use a spotter.

A front camera seems...lazy.
Try hooking a trailer in the front hitch by looking and memorizing.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Garmin Overlander and am building out my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S for a three week trip from PA>Moab>Rubicon.

I had a GoPro mounted to the front edge of the hood, pointing down, and monitored through my iPhone.

Now that have the Garmin Overlander, would like to use the BC 35.

Has anyone been able to do this, without the image being flipped?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Garmin Overlander and am building out my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S for a three week trip from PA>Moab>Rubicon.

I had a GoPro mounted to the front edge of the hood, pointing down, and monitored through my iPhone.

Now that have the Garmin Overlander, would like to use the BC 35.

Has anyone been able to do this, without the image being flipped?
Yep. The settings allow you to correct the image. Works well!

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. The settings allow you to correct the image. Works well!
Wow, that's awesome to hear! Its a very important part of my build. :D

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's awesome to hear! Its a very important part of my build. :D
Cool! I'll post a pic of my setup when/if Imgur ever solves its server problem today. Works pretty well when you are climbing a hill and can't see over the hood.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Cool! I'll post a pic of my setup when/if Imgur ever solves its server problem today. Works pretty well when you are climbing a hill and can't see over the hood.
Oh yea! I'm thinking of Hell's Gate (at Hell's Revenge, in Moab, UT) specifically.

When I went there last August, I couldn't get anyone to spot me, since I didn't have at least 35s (I was running 285s) and I didn't have lockers (and no limited slip differential). I had to watch everyone scratch that bad boy off their bucket list.

I'm going back in June, when I do my Moab>Rubicon trip. This time I have Dana44s (M210/M220) with lockers front/rear, and I have a set of 35s. So the camera mounted in front and pointing down will be an awesome tool, viewing it through my Garmin Overlander. :D

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
I'm here for a different but related solution. My JLUR is setup to be a stealth camper if needed. With windows blacked out I have no way to look outside when I'm in. Was looking for some kind of cameras that would connect to my phone via BT or wifi.

Something like a "blink" camera as they're low powered but the gen 1's I have an obnoxious blue light and don't use IR as a night light. Another negative is that, if I have a wifi hotspot for the cameras I still think I'm connecting through the cloud so I wouldn't be able to monitor cameras without cell data reception. Another option is dashcams that allow wifi running on usb battery banks, Wyze security cameras.

I would think there's something out there that suits my purpose just right. Do any of ya'll know of something that fit's my needs a little better.

And yes, the same hookup to my phone would be used as trailcams when needed. I have used a go pro for this with magnetic mount on front bumper and it works but it kills battery so fast.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm here for a different but related solution. My JLUR is setup to be a stealth camper if needed. With windows blacked out I have no way to look outside when I'm in. Was looking for some kind of cameras that would connect to my phone via BT or wifi.

Something like a "blink" camera as they're low powered but the gen 1's I have an obnoxious blue light and don't use IR as a night light. Another negative is that, if I have a wifi hotspot for the cameras I still think I'm connecting through the cloud so I wouldn't be able to monitor cameras without cell data reception. Another option is dashcams that allow wifi running on usb battery banks, Wyze security cameras.

I would think there's something out there that suits my purpose just right. Do any of ya'll know of something that fit's my needs a little better.

And yes, the same hookup to my phone would be used as trailcams when needed. I have used a go pro for this with magnetic mount on front bumper and it works but it kills battery so fast.
I think you can put up to 4 cameras on the Overlander. BC135s hardly take any power at all and the Overlander has a long battery life, so you could use them as security cameras around your rig. I don't know how good the night performance is on them, but I'll try and check it out at some point when I get home. I'm out of town for Christmas and will be home in a few days.

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
I appreciate but I looked at the prices and I don't have the budget for that. But maybe for others that expect to need it more often or already have Garmin ioverlander it makes sense. I have already planned on using ipad mini for navigation.

In case it helps others I did confirm Overlander is 4 cameras.

Thanks though. Hopefully someone else has an idea for me.
I think you can put up to 4 cameras on the Overlander. BC135s hardly take any power at all and the Overlander has a long battery life, so you could use them as security cameras around your rig. I don't know how good the night performance is on them, but I'll try and check it out at some point when I get home. I'm out of town for Christmas and will be home in a few days.
Sponsored