Sponsored

Garmin Overlander Camera--Forward Facing, Under the Jeep!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Awhile back, I picked up a Garmin Overlander for a very good price. (They are normally overpriced, IMO, for what they offer.) Anyway, the main features in which I was interested were the interface with the Garmin/Delorme Inreach, and the possibility of a foward facing camera. The 3D topo mapping is nice, but I wasn't really lacking in mapping, and for the price of this Garmin, you could get a nice tablet with all kinds of navigation software.

Anyway, I bought the Overlander and a wireless camera with the idea of mounting it forward, but underneath, to help with cresting steep hills, and for wheel placement or avoiding contact between the front differential housing and rocks or obstacles. I then found that it didn't have the ability to flip the view for facing forward. I called Garmin and spoke to the guy in charge of the Overlander product. He told me they didn't have any plans for offering that feature. I told him that people were avoiding the product because it didn't offer much over a tablet, especially for the price, but the option for multiple wireless cameras could be a game-changer for it, as no other product has his feature. I told him how the media had loved the front cam on the Gladiator, but that placed where I planned to place it, the utility would be even better. I exlplained that it would be a simple software tweak and updtate. (What I'm talking about is adjusting so that when facing forward, right is right and left is left. Originally, it was oriented for rear view, which would make it the opposite of reality in the front view.) He told me he'd look into it, but didn't sound like it would happen. Well, as I plugged the thing in today (after the last update), low and behold, they made the change!!! Thank you Garmin!!! For now, this is all I have planned, but the Overlander does have the ability to support multiple cameras, so I might add another at some point, if I see a useful purpose.

Anyway, I'll get it outdoors tomorrow. It was in a dimly lit garage with very little lighting underneath. I also may look at moving it forward, but where it is now offers a good measure of protection, too. It only hangs a few millimeters below the cross member, and not as low as the bottom of the front differential housing. I moved it to line up with the diff, so if the diff clears an obstacle, so will the camera, except possibly in a breakover situation.

Here it is...I'll try and get more pics outside tomorrow. I've also still got to clean up a bit of the excess power wiring.
9HyBqey.jpg
Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Awhile back, I picked up a Garmin Overlander for a very good price. (They are normally overpriced, IMO, for what they offer.) Anyway, the main features in which I was interested were the interface with the Garmin/Delorme Inreach, and the possibility of a foward facing camera. The 3D topo mapping is nice, but I wasn't really lacking in mapping, and for the price of this Garmin, you could get a nice tablet with all kinds of navigation software.

Anyway, I bought the Overlander and a wireless camera with the idea of mounting it forward, but underneath, to help with cresting steep hills, and for wheel placement or avoiding contact between the front differential housing and rocks or obstacles. I then found that it didn't have the ability to flip the view for facing forward. I called Garmin and spoke to the guy in charge of the Overlander product. He told me they didn't have any plans for offering that feature. I told him that people were avoiding the product because it didn't offer much over a tablet, especially for the price, but the option for multiple wireless cameras could be a game-changer for it, as no other product has his feature. I told him how the media had loved the front cam on the Gladiator, but that placed where I planned to place it, the utility would be even better. I exlplained that it would be a simple software tweak and updtate. (What I'm talking about is adjusting so that when facing forward, right is right and left is left. Originally, it was oriented for rear view, which would make it the opposite of reality in the front view.) He told me he'd look into it, but didn't sound like it would happen. Well, as I plugged the thing in today (after the last update), low and behold, they made the change!!! Thank you Garmin!!! For now, this is all I have planned, but the Overlander does have the ability to support multiple cameras, so I might add another at some point, if I see a useful purpose.

Anyway, I'll get it outdoors tomorrow. It was in a dimly lit garage with very little lighting underneath. I also may look at moving it forward, but where it is now offers a good measure of protection, too. It only hangs a few millimeters below the cross member, and not as low as the bottom of the front differential housing. I moved it to line up with the diff, so if the diff clears an obstacle, so will the camera, except possibly in a breakover situation.

Here it is...I'll try and get more pics outside tomorrow. I've also still got to clean up a bit of the excess power wiring.
9HyBqey.jpg
I would love to see more details of your installation. What camera are you using it with?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to see more details of your installation. What camera are you using it with?
It is a little Garmin wireless camera. You just run the power to it and it transmits to the Overlander via wifi. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. It worked fairly well in daylight. I wish it could be a little closer to the front, but I don't see a way. It still works, though, and you can get a much better idea of tire placement than without it. I was also able to see how deeply I was getting into a big mud puddle, which was VERY helpful. I was able to easily spot tire placement for straddling ruts, too. Overall, I'm pleased with it. I can't help but wonder if it would see underwater if the puddles were clear, Lol!

It also took some whacks from tall grass when crossing a field and held up just fine. Dusty dirt roads didn't phase the view, either.

TWP5253

First Name
Thorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 YJ and 23 JLU Diesel to be ordered Sep.
The Overlander and a wireless camera sound good. I would really like to have two cameras facing forward and a split screen monitor. I know, I want a lot!
Sponsored