Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
JK didn’t require a jailbreak, just needed to ask the dealer to add it to your VIN to make the feature available on the stock head unit.

I agree it’s handy for seeing around the edges and the spare tire, and a collapsed soft-top, but anyone who’s really wanted one could have had it added for under $200 and an hour’s effort.

Rather have it than not, especially if already installed, but to each their own.
This is True , although some packages had a fob that did this also without visiting the dealer..
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Do you live in a state that does annual safety inspections? I imagine that would result in a fail. And people will probably notice it years down the line when you resell.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
This is True , although some packages had a fob that did this also without visiting the dealer..
Yea, and they cost more money than the video only Alpine harness.

All mine cost about $30 all-in (camera+harness) because the dealer added the feature as part of the sale. Did dad’s for $40 more for the dealership’s “labour” of adding the code (some charge upwards of a full hour’s labour for 5 mins computer work), but that’s always the variable, which is why the dongles that include the unlock are much more expensive than they should be.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Do you live in a state that does annual safety inspections? I imagine that would result in a fail. And people will probably notice it years down the line when you resell.
Is it a requirement for operation or just sale? Some features are required to be offered, but not required to be equipped or operational for the vehicle to be road-worthy.

While all vehicles produced after this month require back-up cameras for production, I doubt states require them yet for operation.

However, worth checking before altering.

OP
OP
KDB

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
No annual inspections in Wisconsin, will see what happens once i actually have the Jeep in hand. I’m sure I will like the camera once it’s used the first time. After seeing the 2 door JL up close in Moab last month I can’t wait for mine to be built!

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Is it a requirement for operation or just sale? Some features are required to be offered, but not required to be equipped or operational for the vehicle to be road-worthy.

While all vehicles produced after this month require back-up cameras for production, I doubt states require them yet for operation.

However, worth checking before altering.
I'm moreso thinking proactively. Now that they're required, I imagine the states that inspect will add it to the list in the years to come.

I might end up using my backup camera when the top is up, who knows.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I've struggled a little on this myself; on one hand, I understand the "benefit" of a backup camera (a whole ton of benefit with a camera on a Ram 3500 with a camper shell on the back) but on the other - I find the location on the Jeep just sort of, stupid. I get it - tops come off of Jeeps - but when the top was off, who in the world has had an obstructed view when backing up? I'm going with "not many"

I think a reasonable location would have been embedded somewhere along the top of the hard-top (for those with) or somehow a bracket for the soft-top. When the user takes the top off or puts it down, the camera gets disabled (because you have a huge field of view anyway, and pretty much negating the driving reason for a backup cam)

For me I think I'm going to work out how to relocate it to the top of the hard-top. Can't imagine it will be overly difficult. And on those occasions where I drop the shell, well, I guess I'll just have to manage like in the '80s and implement the eyeball-mod.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Taking it off seems like a major waste
Sponsored