Sponsored

HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required?

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
There has been a fair amount of discussion concerning adding a front camera to the 8.4" head unit, but there has not been any clear answer if this is possible.

What would be ideal is to integrate an HD front camera into the rear camera input without the need of a Tazer. Z-Automotive's option works, but it is going to cost you $510 for their camera and a Tazer JL Mini. What you get lower quality (SD) video and have to deal with losing the ability to update your head unit and you lose functionality of the Sirius Guardian, from what I've read.

"It disables some of the features and communication with Sirius Guardian, if your vehicle has that. They confirmed this is a known issue. I think it's super sleazy of them not to have noted this clearly on the product pages. It prevents the vehicle info page from updating, but some of the warnings and alerts come through. But then when you clear them, it still shows the warnings and alerts." from a review on Quadratec.com

Sure there are lots of other options you get with the Tazer JL Mini, but if all you want is a front camera, or maybe to replace the OEM camera with a 360º bird's eye system, using the Tazer seems like an expensive and unreasonable trade off.

If the rear camera input in the back of the head unit was an RCA connection, we could easily use an RCA switcher to select which camera we want. Imagine a small DPST switch on the back of the steering wheel near the volume buttons, how cool! Even cooler, what about a 360º bird's eye view system to replace the OEM backup camera?

Anyway, we are stuck dealing with that Fakra connector, which seems to be the only hurdle. Finding reliable info on anything related to the connection and type of signal is quite challenging. Is there a such thing as a Fakra switcher? Can it be as simple as an RCA to Fakra adapter? Is one analog and the other digital? If so, what does that even mean? Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

A coupe weeks ago I bought a Natika 720P camera from Amazon for $40. It has a yellow RCA and a red DC power plug. The supplied RCA cable has short red wires coming out of the RCA plugs. One end connects to the reverse signal from the head unit, the other end connects to the power wire. The power wire itself has red and black wires for 12v and ground, plus the short red wire to connect to the RCA cable's red wire. Not sure if it makes complete sense to me, but whatever. Here's a picture:

IMG_1401.jpg

I planned to use an RCA switcher and a small DPST in the cabin to select between the cameras. Here's a picture of the switcher I bought ($26), which is actually a 3-way switcher, connected to the camera. I eliminated the long RCA cable for clarity:

IMG_1402.jpg

The red wire (#1) would be connected to my in-cabin switch providing a signal to turn on the camera and tell the switcher to select that input. Bundle #2 could be used for a third video input. When I purchased this I thought the OEM camera would plug into that red "default input" RCA and the yellow "output" RCA would plug into the head unit. I had no idea what a Fakra plug was at the time. I was so young and foolish a couple weeks ago.

Okay, here's the question. Can I use a Fakra to RCA adapter to connect the OEM camera to the switcher, then use a RCA to Fakra adapter to connect the switcher to the head unit? If not, why? What is the bottleneck, and what would it take to overcome it?

Something like these? The Fakra connectors aren't the right keyway (we have the red one) but that can be easily overcome.
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.22.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.23.39 PM.png

Link to the camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNRYHZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to the switcher (although the one I received looks a little different):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B155G5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

Last edited:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Great go see someone finally trying something. Last time I asked about upgrading the camera I got told off because apparently people buy Jeeps and upgrade the suspension, tires, everything else to bring them up to the levels of the legendary camera. Sorry about the rant.

Good luck and I'll be checking this thread!

Reactions: J0E

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I would like to see the results of your experiment...

But, I'm pretty sure that the rear camera is a digital signal, somewhat like SDI. This is the reason for the extra video module that the Gladiators with the trail camera have, as the camera switching has to be handled inside a dedicated video processing chip.

I am heading down the same path, and am thinking of buying the OE camera and module. the fakara connectors are easy to get and it would just take the correct lengths to wire in. The hard part is the bus connector on the module. I will need to figure out how to power the unit and then just plug it into the bus connection module behind the glove box.

Then the even harder part is to figure out the commands to get the module to switch inputs. I'm thinking if we work with the Tazer or JScan people, we should be able to come up with a software command to drive the module without needing to flash the radio software to have the screen buttons on it. This is important to me because i have a 7" radio. It still uses the same HD input as the 8", so if we can command the video module, I don't see why I can't make use of a trail cam as well.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
But, I'm pretty sure that the rear camera is a digital signal, somewhat like SDI. This is the reason for the extra video module that the Gladiators with the trail camera have, as the camera switching has to be handled inside a dedicated video processing chip.
I'm not sure there is an extra video module on the Gladiator. Where did you find that info? From what I've read there is something called a video processing unit, but it was later determined that it is part of the adaptive cruise control / emergency stop system (the video feed coming in from the camera near the rear view mirror). You may have better information than me, though.

I am heading down the same path, and am thinking of buying the OE camera and module. the fakara connectors are easy to get and it would just take the correct lengths to wire in. The hard part is the bus connector on the module. I will need to figure out how to power the unit and then just plug it into the bus connection module behind the glove box.
I'm thinking the easiest solution is to grab another rear view camera and run both through a simple switcher with Fakra connections and a SPDT switch. The head unit would never know you switched sources since they would be identical cameras.

I'm thinking if we work with the Tazer or JScan people, we should be able to come up with a software command to drive the module without needing to flash the radio software to have the screen buttons on it.
Good luck asking either of them to give up their revenue. I think a simple mechanical switch would do the trick. Something the size of a pencil eraser mounted to the back side of the steering wheel would be perfect (next to the volume buttons).

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I'm thinking the easiest solution is to grab another rear view camera and run both through a simple switcher with Fakra connections and a SPDT switch. The head unit would never know you switched sources since they would be identical cameras.
Although that would mean I would toss all the stuff I've already bought.

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'm not sure there is an extra video module on the Gladiator. Where did you find that info? From what I've read there is something called a video processing unit, but it was later determined that it is part of the adaptive cruise control / emergency stop system (the video feed coming in from the camera near the rear view mirror). You may have better information than me, though.
That's interesting. I had not seen any comments about this processor being a part of the adaptive cruise control. But, if that where the case, then even 2019 JL's with adaptive should have this module and don't. Also, this module has 1 front and 1 rear inputs, not 2 front. Tho, it also has a left and right input, but I'm assuming that this is for other vehicles that have the 360 degree view option. In fact, that's probably the original purpose of this module, to stitch together the 360 degree view on those optioned vehicles. Oh, and one final nail, I remember reading that this module mounts in the bed side of the JT, no where near the adaptive cameras.

And thinking about the software side... I agree that convincing the Tazer guys would be a hard sale given that they have a front kit for the 8 inch screens. But, the JScan guys have made progress in playing with this module. I have found that they have already included the ability to enable the front camera, video module, and even some radio settings for it in their app. They are also working on an off road page, and that would be a perfect place to add an extra command button to turn on the trail cam.

I'm still dreaming. I know...

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
This thread:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/factory-trail-camera-install.29321/page-7

has a lot of info on the JT front camera, especially the updates by "bryanklay" It seems the Gladiator does use the CVPM (Central Video Processing Module) to switch between the front and rear cameras. Both cameras connect into the CVPM (using coaxial cable (FAKRA connectors) then a single coax out to the radio. The BCM switches the CVPM between front and rear cams.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
That is a great thread. It looks like he got real close to getting it working.
I also started googling on the term CVPM and found this thread on a ram truck forum... They are instead trying to install the 360 degree system, but it looks like it's the exact same parts that we are using.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/surroundview-camera.1492/page-8

I added all of the parts into a shopping cart and the total ends up right around $600... but that is without the harness. It looks like bryanklay bought a full body harness to get the data/power connector for the video module and that in itself is around $500. I'd really hope to find a workaround to that.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
One more reply... I have been googling away and found a wiring diagram that shows the rear view camera to radio connection as well as the front and rear view cameras to the video processor.

The interesting bit, is on one diagram it references the rear camera as a LVDS camera. More googling shows that this is an automotive specific digital serial bus built specifically for high definition video in cars.
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/design/technical-documents/app-notes/4/4019.html
There is even a development board complete with the fakara connectors that breaks it out to RGB parallel data...
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/maxim-integrated/MAX9217EVKIT/MAX9217EVKIT-ND/2239081

If this devel board wasn't so expensive, parallel data isn't hard to control with cheap microcontrollers. I'd be tempted to get a few to try my hand at switching the data digitally. but I'm not spending $300 to play with this.

In any case, I'm assuming that this is accurate for our situation. The problem with this and using an old-school solution of DPDT switch between two cameras is that the data rate is so high, and the signal so small, that breaking the coax cable for wiring into the switch will likely introduce way too much noise for this system to keep working.

Okay, it's late. I'm done geeking out on this now.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Another Ah-Ha moment... I found the connector for the video processor... But, am not sure that I can just buy that connector. I've requested a "repair kit" be made available for this connector so that we can buy it separately from the main harness.

I'm realizing that I'm going off of your original topic. I'll go start a new thread.

Attachments

Sponsored

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Another Ah-Ha moment... I found the connector for the video processor... But, am not sure that I can just buy that connector. I've requested a "repair kit" be made available for this connector so that we can buy it separately from the main harness.

I'm realizing that I'm going off of your original topic. I'll go start a new thread.
Is this the power connection that plugs in to the CVPB, which is located on the rear bulkhead of the Gladiator?

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Is this the power connection that plugs in to the CVPB, which is located on the rear bulkhead of the Gladiator?
If you mean the Video Processor Module, Yes!

Also, I sent a message to Mopar Connectors via the site that I found these details at, http://connectors.dcctools.com/
and requested the status of the listed "Repair Kit" for this connector. Below is what I got back.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback,

Regarding your query on 2020 JT vehicle for the function " MODULE-CENTRAL VISION PROCESSING C1 ", there is no kit available as of now. Here " TBD 19HD-4" refers to a kit under development. So you have to order a wiring harness.

Thanks & Regards,
Bharathy D
Mopar Service & Parts Quality

Hi Bharathy.

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to know that Mopar is working on developing a kit.

In truth, the reasoning behind my request is that there are a lot of us Wrangler JL owners and Gladiator JT owners that are looking to retrofit this module into our vehicles. One or two of them have ordered the full harness to get this done, and look to have been successful at it. Unfortunately, this doubles the price of the install.

Is there a way that I can get a notification when this kit becomes available?

Thanks!
Jeep Wrangler JL HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required? {filename}

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Yes I can let you know once it's available. For your information, the kit development time is typically around 30 weeks.

Thanks & Regards,
Bharathy D

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
If you mean the Video Processor Module, Yes!

Also, I sent a message to Mopar Connectors via the site that I found these details at, http://connectors.dcctools.com/ and requested the status of the listed "Repair Kit" for this connector. Below is what I got back.
What about finding an alternative to the CVPM? Then we don't need the connector. My goal (and reason for this thread) is to find a simple low cost alternative to spending hundreds of dollars to do something that I think should be really simple with the right parts.

EDIT:
More specifically, my goal is to find a low-cost solution by not using the Tazer AND to get a high resolution image by using a switcher on the head unit's existing rear camera input.

Everything I'm seeing looks like OEM cameras are LVDS. Is there some reason why we can't use a low-cost switcher to do the work of the CVPM?

Lapis wrote:

I wonder if using an SDI switch like below would be better, you'd just need to go FAKRA to BNC (which should be super easy to find since both are RG-58 50ohm connectors)

https://www.markertek.com/product/t...DPkJswrz4Aj4BL3NIttcmrrjTEpRR-xUaAh65EALw_wcB

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...X8PwO0U585Gxn8ITQlmo3cN4Lt9k0K4gaAqsZEALw_wcB
These SDI switches are $100 and $64, respectively. I'm confident if one of them work, it could be easily modified for our purposes. The the $100 item from Markertek needs 24v, which complicates things if there isn't already a good 24v power source in the Jeep.

Let's say the $64 item from Monoprice works. First, ditch the housing. Then ditch the power connection and the power switch and tap directly into the USB-C power supply, since the switch calls for 5v (hopefully the amperage is ok?). Then use either simple physical adapters to connect the camera Fakra connectors into the BNC connections, or remove the BNC connectors and solder Fakra connections right on to the circuit board. Finally, remove the selector button, solder in wires that run to a mechanical switch to operate the unit.

Might actually work...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab