Sponsored

HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required?

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Alright, let's do this...

All I need is another OEM camera to mount on the front.
One thing that I would mention as a word of caution... is that cameras made for rear view mounting usually have their image flipped inside of the camera itself. It's important to buy a camera "programmed" for front view to get the correct orientation. It's this reason that I'd suggest buying the gladiator front camera for this test.... along with the gladiator grille so that it can mount in the correct place.

I actually have the gladiator grille inserts sitting right next to me. I'm playing with modeling a raspberry pi camera mount for this space so that I can 3d print an adapter. This is for yet another experiment... I'm thinking as a test to just use the pi camera wifi to a tablet / phone until we can figure out the factory cameras.
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Alright, let's do this...

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 1.46.40 PM.png

All I need is another OEM camera to mount on the front.
Oh, wait...

That SDI switch that you chose probably will not work. In the description it mentions ReClock technology. This tells me that it is actually processing the SDI signal to match the clocking of the inputs to allow the switching to happen seamlessly. This is great for SDI signals. This would not work at all for our purposes of being a dumb switch for a different technology. It basically would never pass the power along to the cameras as it's an active device.

From the links that you provided and my quick glancing at them, I'd suggest the monoprice switcher might be the better choice. Whatever you choose, it needs to be a passive device.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
One thing that I would mention as a word of caution... is that cameras made for rear view mounting usually have their image flipped inside of the camera itself. It's important to buy a camera "programmed" for front view to get the correct orientation. It's this reason that I'd suggest buying the gladiator front camera for this test...
You're right, I completely forgot about that. Interestingly enough, the Gladiator front camera and rear camera have the same part number...

I get the feeling this one won't allow me to control the input with a remote switch. I'm not sure why, but that's just the feeling I get. I'm going to cancel the order for the other switcher now and order the Monoprice switcher. Thanks!

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab

Sponsored

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I believe the 8.4" headunit in the jeep can reverse the camera, pretty sure i saw a setting for it. Of course that means you'd either need to leave the rear or front reversed to quickly change back and forth

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I believe the 8.4" headunit in the jeep can reverse the camera, pretty sure i saw a setting for it. Of course that means you'd either need to leave the rear or front reversed to quickly change back and forth
It's an option, but definitely not convenient.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Okay, here's an update...

I ended up buying this stuff from Amazon yesterday. It's not the most efficient setup given the Fakra to BNC connectors and a switch that I'm going to have to disassemble to modify for my purposes, this setup costs about $50 per Jeep. Pair it all up with a Gladiator's OEM from camera and mount and we are around the $215 range:

Jeep Wrangler JL HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required? Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 4.56.42 PM

Then this morning I ordered this from Germany. Cost me $100, which is twice as much but is ready to go as is (if it works). I envision this being controlled by the Aux switches some of us already have, but any 12v signal controlled by a simple SPST switch would work.

Jeep Wrangler JL HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required? Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 5.01.04 PM

Pair this with the Gladiator's OEM front camera and mount and we are in the $265 range per Jeep. This is half the cost of the Tazer solution, but I would be interested in reverse engineering the Fakra switcher and see if we could get the cost per unit down below $50. Then sourcing an alternative to the OEM camera and we could see a total price below $100, which is pretty close to the $75 target.

Next question is if the rear camera image is flipped (mirrored) in the camera or in the head unit. If the head unit does it, then we have an issue because it will produce a mirror image of any video source we connect to it. Whatever camera we use will have to send the opposite of whatever the rear camera sends, so the head unit can flip it again and it will look right. If the mirror image is created in the camera, then we are all set. There is a chance the OEM Video Processing Unit in the gladiator does this, but we won't know until I can test. I really need an OEM front camera.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t have much to add here from a technical perspective, but want to really give you guys a hat tip for this investigative work. This thread has been a great informative read, and I’m subscribed to see how you guys make out.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I don’t have much to add here from a technical perspective, but want to really give you guys a hat tip for this investigative work. This thread has been a great informative read, and I’m subscribed to see how you guys make out.
Thanks. I've already spent more than most options already available, but I think it's worth it to the community to keep working to find a great solution that everyone can reproduce with great results at a reasonable cost. If I spend $800 researching and testing different products it will be worth it if I can deliver a great solution that everyone can reproduce for under $100.

I feel like I'm getting close...

Sponsored

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Fascinating! Great work and you both obviously have a great deal of technical knowledge. Eagerly following.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Got all my parts today. Hopefully I can do some testing tomorrow. Still need another OEM camera. I don't know where to find an aftermarket one. At least not with a Fakra connection.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Although that would mean I would toss all the stuff I've already bought.
So even if you pull this off, how would you keep the "rear camera feed" active? With the Tazer, you can have it stay high indefinitely. that would be sweet with the mentioned mod.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
i have an old GoPro. cant i just live feed that on my phone or dedicate a tablet for it?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I found this, but it's expensive.
Sponsored