Sponsored

Hardwire radar detector using mirrortap?

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hi all,

I read previous posts where members were able to tap into the power from the dimming rear view mirror to power their radar detector. I tried this by using an RJ11 cable from mirror tap but even pushing the metal connectors all the way in, I couldn't get power. Curious if anyone had success, maybe the metal connectors are not long enough?

Connection was similar to what was recommended here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardwire-radar-detector-in-2020.45220/

RJ11 cable used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RJ11-Mirro...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Any feedback is helpful!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hi all,

I read previous posts where members were able to tap into the power from the dimming rear view mirror to power their radar detector. I tried this by using an RJ11 cable from mirror tap but even pushing the metal connectors all the way in, I couldn't get power. Curious if anyone had success, maybe the metal connectors are not long enough?

Connection was similar to what was recommended here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardwire-radar-detector-in-2020.45220/

RJ11 cable used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RJ11-Mirro...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Any feedback is helpful!
@Blanco802

Read through this thread. On page 2, I believe is your remedy..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hard-wire-radar-detector.11899/post-289973

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I'm assuming you don't have the aux power option (Rubicon)?
I was considering the mirror tap but in the end am happy that I ran it to the aux power so that I can turn it off and on easily when it's appropriate.

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I was considering the mirror tap but in the end am happy that I ran it to the aux power so that I can turn it off and on easily when it's appropriate.
I don't. I have the Sahara without aux. Mirror tap has worked well in my previous vehicles so I didn't think it would for the wrangler

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Just thought I would close the loop here in case it can help fellow Wrangler owners.

No matter how deep the metal probes were inserted, it did not get me power to the detector. In speaking to the folks at mirrortap, they don't make probes that are any longer.

I ended up ordering something like this from Amazon (12 Pieces Low Voltage Wire Connectors-2 Pin 2 Way Connector, 1 Pin 1 Way Connector, I Type Connector, T Type Connector, No Wire Stripping Required for Automotive Connection Fits 18-22 AWG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092RY7BM...abc_9AV4BD5D75F4BJAVR0NQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) and I tapped the wires from the mirror and from the mirrortap. This solved my problem. Now onto evaluating how to power the dashcam.

north53overland

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR (incoming), 2013 Fiat 500T
Curious how you ran the power to your Aux switches in the JLUR? I was going to do the Mirrortap until I saw this thread. I had the Mirrortap in my Audi, loved it, but always wish I had a switch to quickly turn it off. I like your idea. Any help would be great.

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Curious how you ran the power to your Aux switches in the JLUR? I was going to do the Mirrortap until I saw this thread. I had the Mirrortap in my Audi, loved it, but always wish I had a switch to quickly turn it off. I like your idea. Any help would be great.
If you have a Rubicon with the aux power switches it's pretty straight forward.
There is a bundle of wires underneath the passenger side dash/well wrapped up in black fabric tape. I connected to there and ran the cable along the window and trim without even needing to remove and trim, and the same along the top of the windshield and it's all pretty neat and clean.

There's a really helpful thread in this forum somewhere with a chart of the colors and amp rating of the power cables and which switches they relate to. Then there's another thread somewhere where someone points out that you don't really need to remove any trim. There are some photos in those threads too. Hopefully you can find them.

antfid26

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
If you have a Rubicon with the aux power switches it's pretty straight forward.
There is a bundle of wires underneath the passenger side dash/well wrapped up in black fabric tape. I connected to there and ran the cable along the window and trim without even needing to remove and trim, and the same along the top of the windshield and it's all pretty neat and clean.

There's a really helpful thread in this forum somewhere with a chart of the colors and amp rating of the power cables and which switches they relate to. Then there's another thread somewhere where someone points out that you don't really need to remove any trim. There are some photos in those threads too. Hopefully you can find them.
first post here....I was just able to hard wire my radar detector to the aux 4 switch today. I wasn't able to find the thread on how to run the wires down the dash without removing any trim, but did want to share how I was able to do it, with minimal removal, so that it could hopefully help someone out in the future:
  • running the wire above the windshield was easy enough and self explanatory
  • i popped the tweeter speaker grille off and was able to drop the wire down and grab it from the area behind lower door jamb pillar trim (small little piece that was fairly easy to pop out)
  • i then removed the kick panel trim, which was necessary to access the ground point and also made it easy to run the wire over to where the aux switch wire bundle was located
very easy install and looks nice and clean!
Sponsored