Hard wire radar detector

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
I have been running with / using Val 1's since 1994 !

I wired my current Valentine 1 to Aux 4. Switch is set-up so it turns ON with ignition..

I travel lots through a couple of States that you can get into deep chitt using a radar detector. IF, I get inkling Leos are around, I can quickly turn the Val 1 off...

Also, IF I start getting an annoying false positive, I can also turn off for a few min. lets say and easily turn back on.

I travel thousands of miles yearly on the interstates....
Any tips you could share on routing wires, etc? I'm looking at mounting my V1 on the passenger side....
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Any tips you could share on routing wires, etc? I'm looking at mounting my V1 on the passenger side....
@IQ_imbalance

Would you believe my Val 1 resides under the front passenger seat...
Yup, At this point in my life, (I'm 73 yo) I use it more as an audio reminder of sorts... to watch my speed, then using my Val 1 as a state of art Radar Detector.

Yes, it picks up X band, K band, and Ka band in the area, even tough it is under seat... but obviously no Laser detection.

I have it hooked up to passenger footwell / Aux 4, so I can turn it off and on if it gets to noisy or when near a Leo in s State like Virginia where it is illegal to have a radar detector.

I have had Val 1's since the late 80's. Back in the day, I used to talk to Mike Valentine and his Wife often when working with, buying Val 1's, etc.. Mike is a character/nice guy.... Wife is all business, a tad stuffy. Terrific radar detector.

Oh.. back to your question.. DO forum search and you will find other's that have installed radar detectors.

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
@IQ_imbalance

Would you believe my Val 1 resides under the front passenger seat...
Yup, At this point in my life, (I'm 73 yo) I use it more as a audio reminder of sorts, to watch my speed then using my Val 1,as a state of art Radar Detector.

Yes, it picks up X band, K band, and Ka band in the area, even tough it is under seat... but obviously no Laser detection.

I have it hooked up to passenger footwell / Aux 4, so I can turn it off and on if it gets to noisy or when near a Leo in s State like Virginia where it is illegal to have a radar detector.

I have had Val 1's since the late 80's. Back in the day, I used to talk to Mike Valentine and his Wife often when working with, buying Val 1's, etc.. Terrific radar detector.

Oh.. back to your question.. DO forum search and you will find other's that have installed radar detectors.
That's awesome you used to chat w/ Mike. I've been running a V1 in my other vehicle for about 15 years, and every bit of knowledge i obtained to do that hardwire has evaporated!

I started looking over the forums again and I think i have a plan of attack...if i can get my mute button wiring routed under the dashboard.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I like to use a mirror mount and tap into the power for the dimming mirror.

PXL_20211224_185131620.jpg

PXL_20220417_212234368.jpg

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
Can you show which wires you tapped into on the harness? I recently took delivery of a 4xe and plan to hardwire my Uniden R3 this weekend with a mirror tap. Hate having the lighter plug adaptor.

I realize I'm reviving an old post, but couldn't find anything newer. I can't get power to my radar detector and I've tried keeping the ground inserted in the black plug and the red in all the other spots on the top AND bottom of this wiring.

What am I doing wrong? I've used the largest prongs and been able to push them in fully. My wiring does look different than the OP's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hard wire radar detector PXL_20220417_212234368

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Reviving this post; anyone have new info for a 2023 mirror? Need to get my V1 installed. Thanks.
Sponsored