Sponsored

Halogen to LED DRL - Do I need a dealer code?

ZgsProduct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 1987 YJ
Good Morning,

I have a 2018 Rubicon that came with non-LED lighting from the factory. Over the time of ownership I have upgraded my taillights, headlights, & just recently my DRL to LEDs. Everything was plug & play, the taillights didn't need to get programmed from the dealer but the headlights did in order for the halos to work. A few days ago, I upgraded from halogen DRL to LED DRL. The first two days were fine until I noticed that when I try & use the right turn signal it give me a hyper flash. At first it was only the right side & today it happened to both. Usually they will correct themselves after I turn the Jeep off & start it back up & they will work properly with no hyper flash. Also, I do get an error on my dash saying the turn signals are out but like I said it's intermittent. The question I have is... Is this an electrical problem or do I simply need a bypass with a Tazer or a dealer code to be added in?

P.S. The actual DRL LED works fine, it's always on & doesn't give me any issues. It's just the turn signals!

If anyone else has an answer or has been through a similar situation please chime on in on your fix!

Thank you :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Halogen to LED DRL - Do I need a dealer code? 20200620_115049
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Good Morning,

I have a 2018 Rubicon that came with non-LED lighting from the factory. Over the time of ownership I have upgraded my taillights, headlights, & just recently my DRL to LEDs. Everything was plug & play, the taillights didn't need to get programmed from the dealer but the headlights did in order for the halos to work. A few days ago, I upgraded from halogen DRL to LED DRL. The first two days were fine until I noticed that when I try & use the right turn signal it give me a hyper flash. At first it was only the right side & today it happened to both. Usually they will correct themselves after I turn the Jeep off & start it back up & they will work properly with no hyper flash. Also, I do get an error on my dash saying the turn signals are out but like I said it's intermittent. The question I have is... Is this an electrical problem or do I simply need a bypass with a Tazer or a dealer code to be added in?

P.S. The actual DRL LED works fine, it's always on & doesn't give me any issues. It's just the turn signals!

If anyone else has an answer or has been through a similar situation please chime on in on your fix!

You might need to put a resistor in the circuit. I had the dealer Put in ?LED code - still had the hyper flash. Resistor took care of it

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Good Morning,

Surprised the DRLs are working properly unless whatever dealer did for halos changed something. I have a tazer mini and it’s great. Utilized for tire size, LED fogs, LED DRLs/turn signals, and disabled ESS. Is your speedo not calibrated?

OP
OP
ZgsProduct

ZgsProduct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 1987 YJ
Surprised the DRLs are working properly unless whatever dealer did for halos changed something. I have a tazer mini and it’s great. Utilized for tire size, LED fogs, LED DRLs/turn signals, and disabled ESS. Is your speedo not calibrated?
That's what I'm saying, because the gentlemen I purchased these from said I definitely will need to get it flashed because the DRLs simply won't even turn on so I was surprised that they did. My speedometer is off by about 5-7 MPH currently. I'm not too bothered by it honestly but a Tazer might be my next investment.

OP
OP
ZgsProduct

ZgsProduct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 1987 YJ
You might need to put a resistor in the circuit. I had the dealer Put in ?LED code - still had the hyper flash. Resistor took care of it
Nice, did you also upgrade from non-LED to LED DRL? If so, did you go factory DRLs or aftermarket? & what resistor did you go with, link me if you can ;)

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I'm saying, because the gentlemen I purchased these from said I definitely will need to get it flashed because the DRLs simply won't even turn on so I was surprised that they did. My speedometer is off by about 5-7 MPH currently. I'm not too bothered by it honestly but a Tazer might be my next investment.
I also believe calibration assist with transmission shift points. You may want to consider doing. The stupid ESS drove me crazy. My DRLs and turn signals act differently with headlights on then during the day. During the day DRL goes off when turn signal on. Headlights on they stay on. I think this is strange but may be normal.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
My DRLs and turn signals act differently with headlights on then during the day. During the day DRL goes off when turn signal on. Headlights on they stay on. I think this is strange but may be normal.
Completely normal. They act as running lights when the lights are on. They are at a lower light level with the lights on.
Gregj

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Completely normal. They act as running lights when the lights are on. They are at a lower light level with the lights on.
Gregj
Thanks Greg. So I just read up again and I may play around with setting “DRL Dropout” to see changes how they act. :like:

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Nice, did you also upgrade from non-LED to LED DRL? If so, did you go factory DRLs or aftermarket? & what resistor did you go with, link me if you can ;)
went from halogen to OEM DRL. - I only had issues with the fog - everything else worked with the code change

Alasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
went from halogen to OEM DRL. - I only had issues with the fog - everything else worked with the code change
What’s up man what was the code for the drl? I just dropped off my car at the dealer but they don’t know which code would make the drl led work

Sponsored

LHuffman47

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Automotive Sales Manager
My DRL's work the majority of the time. Probably 90%. When they dont work it says the bulbs are out up front, would this be a resistor, or need coded?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

What’s up man what was the code for the drl? I just dropped off my car at the dealer but they don’t know which code would make the drl led work
it’s for LE D headlights - you need to pull the wire for theDRLs to work

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3
Good Morning,

Been there..

Since your Rubi didn't come with (at least) LED tail lights there's no flash that will make the front fender LED turn signals work. There were rumors (on this forum and elsewhere) of a non-published "sales code" that would only be provided by the Region sales manager upon request of the dealer service manager..

I spent a ton of time with my dealer and with various Jeep reps in an effort to identify that code... even tracked down a service manager who (as referenced in a post) had actually secured that sales code.. he informed me the post was incorrect, when I contacted the original poster he confirmed that was the case..

Bottom line - the rumored sales code doesn't exist.. after additional researce I've concluded the root issue is the circuitry between the BCM and DRLs in non-Premium Lighting vehicles is different than in full LED vehicles..

Fortunately you can get around that by "fooling" the BCM with a Tazer (or similar)

Alasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Good Morning,

Good Morning,

I just installed my OEM drl led lights and brought it to the dealer to reprogram the BCM and they are working properly!

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU; 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie; 2019 Jeep Cherokee
I am having the same issue. As soon as computer recognizes its a LED turn signal it throws an error and turn signals don't work. Its better to just buy a Tazer and get it over with that way you don't have to go dealer if you upgrade something else.
Sponsored