Sponsored

Halogen to LED DRL - Do I need a dealer code?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I remember your posts now. It would be nice of FCA would just fess up and tell us that the wiring harnesses are different, and document in their catalog that the LED fender kits are not supported on vehicles that did not ship with LED fenders. Lastly, make the rest of us whole that bought unsupported kits unknowingly.
I remember a couple of the online sites have this note when ordering new:

PLEASE NOTE:
  • Fender flares with LED lamps should only be installed on vehicles that have factory LED lamps. LED flares are not intended to be an upgrade for vehicles with halogen lamps.
  • For vehicles with factory halogen lamps, please order fender flares with halogen lamps.
As we all know one of the programmers mentioned allows you to install.

The statement above is probably how FCA is covering themself.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I remember a couple of the online sites have this note when ordering new:

PLEASE NOTE:
  • Fender flares with LED lamps should only be installed on vehicles that have factory LED lamps. LED flares are not intended to be an upgrade for vehicles with halogen lamps.
  • For vehicles with factory halogen lamps, please order fender flares with halogen lamps.
As we all know one of the programmers mentioned allows you to install.

The statement above is probably how FCA is covering themself.
The problem is, that statement was not in the Mopar catalog at my dealer, and the dealer was not informed of this issue. The Mopar parts catalog clearly stated that the parts in the catalog were tested to work on my Jeep product. FCA also did not state this when my dealer made an inquiry as to why the LED fenders were not working!

Sponsored

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited willys
Three settings for the fender lights. Here is an earlier post of mine with screenshots
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-led-factory-upgrade-kit.31897/post-1180033

LED Turn
LED Park/Marker
LED Dedicated DRL
cool thanks! I installed jscan and looked through the demo. My Willys already has LED headlamps & fogs so I don't want to mess with those settings. With the demo it appears I need to navigate to Adaption -> DRL Day time Running Lights -> and then select the following to settings:

1. Daytime Running Lamps Present - (ACTIVE)
2. DRL Configuration- (OPTIONAL DRL)
3. DRL Dropout Enabled - (ACTIVE)
4. LED Dedicated DRL Present (ACTIVE)
5. Left Dedicated DRL Lamps Output Present (ACTIVE)
6. Right Dedicated DRL Lamps Output Present (ACTIVE)

Adaption --> LED Light Settings--> and then select the following to settings:
1. LED Front Turn Lamps Present (ACTIVE)
2. LED Front Park/Marker Lamps Present (ACTIVE)

Last edited:

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
cool thanks! I installed jscan and looked through the demo. My Willys already has LED headlamps & fogs so I don't want to mess with those settings. With the demo it appears I need to navigate to Adaption -> DRL Day time Running Lights -> and then select the following to settings:

Not sure if the Willys has the dual bulb halogen fender lights like the Sahara, but if it does, I think you only need to do:

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if the Willys has the dual bulb halogen fender lights like the Sahara, but if it does, I think you only need to do:

I installed the rubicon LED flares. Does that help?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD

These steps should get everything working, keep in mind the DRL’s will be “off” if the emergency brake is “on”, that has tripped up a few people.

JScan will show you if a setting is active.

Gregj

Sponsored

IamThad72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These steps should get everything working, keep in mind the DRL’s will be “off” if the emergency brake is “on”, that has tripped up a few people.

JScan will show you if a setting is active.

Gregj
Thanks for the input! I appreciate all the help. I will post results.. Hopefully all positive.

JLscorpio31

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JLU, 1999 Cherokee XJ
Good Morning,

I have a 2018 Rubicon that came with non-LED lighting from the factory. Over the time of ownership I have upgraded my taillights, headlights, & just recently my DRL to LEDs. Everything was plug & play, the taillights didn't need to get programmed from the dealer but the headlights did in order for the halos to work. A few days ago, I upgraded from halogen DRL to LED DRL. The first two days were fine until I noticed that when I try & use the right turn signal it give me a hyper flash. At first it was only the right side & today it happened to both. Usually they will correct themselves after I turn the Jeep off & start it back up & they will work properly with no hyper flash. Also, I do get an error on my dash saying the turn signals are out but like I said it's intermittent. The question I have is... Is this an electrical problem or do I simply need a bypass with a Tazer or a dealer code to be added in?

P.S. The actual DRL LED works fine, it's always on & doesn't give me any issues. It's just the turn signals!

If anyone else has an answer or has been through a similar situation please chime on in on your fix!

Thank you :)

20200620_115049.jpg
Good morning; I’ve had similar issues. You will need to take in to the dealer or like me, just got a tazer

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Good morning; I’ve had similar issues. You will need to take in to the dealer or like me, just got a tazer
As has been pointed out, the wiring harness between vehicles with factory turn signal LEDs is different than the one for Halogens. The dealer probably isn't aware of this, but regardless, they won't/can't do anything about it. You will need a third party device like a Tazer JL to make it work.

klawrence3

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You might need to put a resistor in the circuit. I had the dealer Put in ?LED code - still had the hyper flash. Resistor took care of it
Do you have details of the resistor install?

OP
OP
ZgsProduct

ZgsProduct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 1987 YJ
Hello everyone, here's an update!

All you need is a Tazor to program it. No resistors or anything else. The Tazor worked perfectly
Sponsored