Half doors false advertising -- IMO

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This seems like an engineering thing that should be easy to solve. It the Bronco can figure out frameless windows no reason the Jeep can't. Even if its an option instead of standard using some type of bolt on seal that can be removed; would be a much better solution right out of the box. I agree there is a need, but truthfully there probably isn't a huge market for half doors that makes it a worthwhile factory option for Jeep. Half doors without windows is useless for dealers to pre-order because they then have to worry about upkept of those wranglers until they sell; they can't store them outside without protection of the interior and I would beat almost all dealerships don't have access to indoor storage garage like a lot of luxury dealers. Many on the forum are clamoring for them, but this place is the minority of Wrangler owners; would be more profitable as a true accessory for Mopar and it would sell. Final question is if updated regulations require full doors on new production vehicles?
You must be new, half doors come with soft uppers that match the soft top.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I can tell you from previous experience,, you do not want 1/2 doors from Mopar!!!
I had them on my 2017 JKU.. it was the ABSOULTE worst!!!

I was lucky enough to find the 1/2 door, manual transmission gem a few years ago.
My water issues were unreal!!!
It started with 8 trips back to local Jeep dealer to continuously replace the door seals.
That fixed it for about a month,,, Then back again.
When it rained, it would have 3-5" of rain in the floorboard.
I could take it thru a car wash and never have a single issue, but when it was parked and rained,, it would flood!

I took it up with FCA and they agreed that it was poor build quality. They stated that it was not something they specialized in because not many 1/2 doors were sold.

They look great, remind you of the older TJ/CJ jeeps, but it was nothing but troubles..

Be glad you have full doors.. I promise, the long run- it is worth it..
I have only heard people having less water leaks with factory half doors but even if yours was an exception, saying not to get half doors for that is the same thing as saying not to get a softtop because you can't use it when it rains.

It takes us 2 months to get 3" of rain that you get in one go. Some places are much drier.

Kings5jk

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlu
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Are these just the shell or are the insides intact too? Do you have a build thread?
The whole door is a stock door just cut and re fabricated. We are looking to do an interior panel custom

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I had half doors on my 2012 jku, loved them. I only had water leaks when they had to replace a too due to a scratch on delivery.

Being able to take them off was amazing and imo looks way cooler then half doors. Zipping the window wasn't terrible, more annoying at speed due to the windows trying to fly out. But no rattle, they were nothing like older half doors.

They were also light as hell for to not having hardly anything inside then, no windows mechanics. This meant talking them off was extremely easy.

If gladly pay 2k for a set for my 2 door.

Its not like jeep doesn't know people want them, if we didn't they wouldn't be on every damn concept. And if it's a regulation thing then they can make it an after market thing for"off-road use only" like everyone else does.

What confuses me is they know we want them, they have prototypes, but they don't want to make them? Like... Why, I have money I want to give you.... Take my money

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
We made our own! Stock jlu doors chopped and re fabricated to a perfect arm rest height. We get to use all OEM mirrors and handles.
I was actually planning on doing this exact same thing (for the rear doors only). I just haven't found a cheap set of stock doors to cut up yet, and don't want to cut up full price doors.
If things go well, I'm thinking about trying to fab a rear bulkhead to essentially make it like a regular cab truck.

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
if I saved up 50,000 dollars to live out my dream and climb Mount Everest, I'd be pretty pissed getting up there to see that great view and then see a Jeep wrangler im the background. Soooooooo.......as you might say, sew!

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
You must be new, half doors come with soft uppers that match the soft top.
Yes, newer to the forum, but familiar with Wranglers. Thought the Mopar half door kit for the JK was bottoms only and you had to order the tops separately. I feel like if I would put on half doors, why would I want to even put on the windows.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Yes, newer to the forum, but familiar with Wranglers. Thought the Mopar half door kit for the JK was bottoms only and you had to order the tops separately. I feel like if I would put on half doors, why would I want to even put on the windows.
The same reason why people who have the softtop don't always keep it down.

Sponsored

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Beyond me...been bitching about 1/2 doors since I ordered my 2018. Personally it makes a Jeep look like a Jeep. On the YJ they used to be standard, only way to get full doors was with a hardtop. JK offered them on the base sport and Rubicon as n/c options.
Just release them FCA you obviously know they look great since you use them on half your concepts!

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
The wife is happy her Jeep is finally done! Half doors are finished
24B654A1-0939-42A8-AD9A-7E3627D34451.jpeg
I've also thought about doing the same thing. Since I have a TIG welder and can sometimes get aluminum welds that don't look like poop, I thought it wouldn't be too bad of a project. Can you share where you got the doors? I agree with what @Shots posted above. Finding a wrecked JL and grabbing the doors cheap would be ideal.
Sponsored