Sponsored

Grab handles?

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I know this an old post, but since it swayed my purchase I thought I would share my opinion on the bolt on Raingler and the GPCA pros. Hopefully it is useful to someone else.

I initially bought the Raingler bolt-on because I liked the look and wanted something that would work with the bikini top. I paid the extra money to get them with the color stitching. They look nice and are simple to install. I used them for a short time, but had two issues with them. One, just like some of the other grab handles, they hang down a bit too low. I ended up twisting them to make them shorter and still usable. This made them more functional for me but kind of ruined the look. The second and more important issue is that I never fully trusted them with much weight. The screws would pop when grabbing them at times.

After a couple months, I gave up on the Raingler and bought the GPCA pros. I initially did not buy the GPCA because I did not love the look and I assumed the wrap around velcro would not work with the bikini top. (I still have not tested the handles with the top). Also, if I am completely honest, for some reason their facebook advertisement turned me off. Regardless, I ended up purchasing them and like them much better. They feel secure, they do not hang too low, and you can push them out of the way.

Endeego

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Mojito!); 2015 Ducati Diavel (carbon red); Volvo XC90
Occupation
Shepherd
I modified the Mopar handles by carving out some of the rubber with a razor blade and attaching a couple of small magnets I bought off Amazon using 3M gasket adhesive.

Here's the handle held out of the way by the magnets:
20200129_225542.jpg

Here's the handle down and tilted so you can see the magnets:
20200129_225555.jpg

I coated the magnets with some black liquid electrical tape so they wouldn't mark up the painted surface. Probably could have coated the magnets with the adhesive instead.

Here's a picture of two magnets and the 3M adhesive:
20200129_225707.jpg

I scuffed up the magnets with some sandpaper to make sure there was a good bond with the adhesive.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I modified the Mopar handles by carving out some of the rubber with a razor blade and attaching a couple of small magnets I bought off Amazon using 3M gasket adhesive.

20200129_225542.jpg

20200129_225555.jpg

I coated the magnets with some black liquid electrical tape so they wouldn't mark up the painted surface. Probably could have coated the magnets with the adhesive instead.

20200129_225707.jpg

I scuffed up the magnets with some sandpaper to make sure there was a good bond with the adhesive.
Nice idea. Clean look!

Reactions: evs

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara

20200129_225542.jpg

20200129_225555.jpg

20200129_225707.jpg

Can you share a link to the magnets? With my luck the ones I would order wouldn't fit, thanks.

Sponsored

Endeego

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Mojito!); 2015 Ducati Diavel (carbon red); Volvo XC90
Occupation
Shepherd

bcm13

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Anybody know if anyone is making these style grab handles for the JL? I can only find JK and I much prefer this style. Metal handles

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Similar to the JK, in that link, existing mounting points.
There are no mount points up front in the JL like in the JK. That's why you're not finding that style. No one is making them for the JL.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

bcm13

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where would you mount them?
If they were spring hinged like in most cars they would be out of the way for getting in and out. Just seems like a missed opportunity.

IMG_9917.jpeg

bcm13

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s already a large built in handle there on the JL.
I am aware, I have a JL, I just meant metal handles using existing mounting points. I don't like the velcro style.
Sponsored