GPS UNIT

rmj339

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler 2 dr sport s
Just started riding the Trans american trail and did not have any real issues in arkansas.....however we are looking to go out further and i was looking for suggestions on a GPS unit that will download there maps and run them good....anyone have any suggestions....garmin, magellean, etc.

thanks
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Just started riding the Trans american trail and did not have any real issues in arkansas.....however we are looking to go out further and i was looking for suggestions on a GPS unit that will download there maps and run them good....anyone have any suggestions....garmin, magellean, etc.

thanks
If you have a smartphone or a tablet the easiest thing is to get a subscription for GAIA GPS and load their app on your device. You can select the map areas you need when you have internet service and download to your device, then the maps will be available when you are not getting cell service.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
Mainstream choice seems to be Garmin GPS with their map. Or try a tablet with one of many maps choices. Map choices like back country navigator or Gaia maps. Of course Google map is pretty good for all devices. Just be sure the map you choose works off line like the ones mentioned.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Just be careful with units that are tied to cellular serv ice. Out west on the TAT there are lots of spots with zero cell service...

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
a garmin zumo xt (which is meant for motorcycle) would be a great gps for the TAT. it has built in topo maps, (can down load aerial maps) you can also download tracks for the TAT to it and follow the track on the device.

Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Any serious GPS user uses one of the Garmin Montana series. Expensive but worth it. Put it in a powered mounting cradle so it runs off 12 volts and you'll never have to worry about charging up a battery.

Every smart phone has a GPS chip built in and will pick up GPS satellites. Cell signal IS NOT needed to use the GPS. Many people use an old smart phone that can be had for cheap, it doesn't even have to have a SIM card installed, the GPS portion will work just fine. But - you will have to install an app to properly utilize the GPS on the phone and then download your selection of maps for wherever you are riding.

Trill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL
Gaia GPS on my phone hooked up to the Uconnect with CarPlay, never let me down. Gaia got CarPlay approval about a year ago.

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
Gaia GPS on my phone hooked up to the Uconnect with CarPlay, never let me down. Gaia got CarPlay approval about a year ago.
2nd that. I ran the TAT last August/September (not in a Jeep) using GAIA on Iphone then connected to Sync3. Rarely ever lost map, occasionally lost SiriusXM.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door

thanks
The Garmin Zumo XT is my choice. It is designed for offroad motorcycle use, and comes with topo maps etc. Also does everything that the Garmin units designed for highway/street use do.
Sponsored