Sponsored

Getting started with bigger tires

rayzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Apologies, i've tried reading through a few threads that discuss tires and wheel sizes, but I am lost. This is my first time ever that I am looking to replace wheels with something other than what Costco recommends for my vehicle.

I have a 2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport.

I want to go with bigger tires for the look (33"). I don't do 'off-roading' although we do take our Jeep on the beach, and 4 wheel drive trails at National Parks (Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Titus Canyon).

Can I just put on a bigger tire without replacing the wheels? or do I need new wheels? Are there any recommended 'budget' ways of doing this?
Sponsored

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
You can absolutely keep your wheels and just get a larger tire. Just be aware that you could potentially need spacers (others can chime in with experience since I jumped into new wheels and tires together). Jeep are like legos which is partially why I love them. Since you're not doing much wheeling, a decent all-terrain like a KO2, Duratrac (weak weak sidewalls though so those and rocks are not friends but will be fine for how light you go), Patagonias have been a fan fav recently too.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
like stated you definetly dont need new wheels. another option is to pick up a set of Rubicon take off tires on craigslist/facebook marketplace/ or even here that will fit as well

OP
OP

rayzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I currently have stock 245/75R17. What is the biggest tire that I can reasonably put on that wheel? Can I go wider (275?) or can I only go taller (R19?)

OP
OP

rayzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
like stated you definetly dont need new wheels. another option is to pick up a set of Rubicon take off tires on craigslist/facebook marketplace/ or even here that will fit as well
Nice! I didn't even think of that, for $1000 I could have pretty much 5 new wheels and tires that look nicer than my stock. Are the Rubicon stock tires 33"?

Also I wouldn't need to change the fenders at all like I believe is done on the Rubicon?

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Thanks, I currently have stock 245/75R17. What is the biggest tire that I can reasonably put on that wheel? Can I go wider (275?) or can I only go taller (R19?)
Your stock wheels are 17" x 7" so going wider can be done but you won't be able to go too far.

For instance, Nitto Tire posts minimum/recommended/maximum wheel width's for their various tire sizes. A 265/70R17 tire in the Trail Grappler has a 7.0/8.0/9.0 wide wheel specification.

The next size up, a 285/70R17 tire, has a minimum wheel width recommendation of 7.5 inches. You can mount this tire on a 7 inch wheel but be advised that you could pop the bead on the tire. You'd be safer with a 265 section width tire.

The R17 refers to the size of the wheel and tire which must match. R19 does not designate a taller tire. It designates a larger wheel opening in the tire.

Here's a great site for looking at tire dimensions based on metric or standard sizes. You can also compare two different tire sizes at the same time.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Lastly, if you find a tire you want, always check the manufacturer's specs on the tire. Most sites will provide wheel width recommendations. Here's Nitto's spec page for the Ridge Grappler tire (which is a good one for off-road & highway)

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Oh, and don't forget to check out other tires as well. Just be mindful of the sizes and specs!

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I have a JLU Sport as well and this is the largest size you can have on before anything rubs https://amzn.to/3ppjA8o (285/75r17)

I have those exact tires on mine. So far it’s been great in dryrain and heavy snow.
Jeep Wrangler JL Getting started with bigger tires 21F85359-F6B8-4B57-BAF6-D6FB931DB197

Jeep Wrangler JL Getting started with bigger tires C288E566-46E4-4232-9F47-9698B72DFC4C

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Thanks all, happened to find a guy who just bought a 2021 Rubicon and upgraded his wheels. 10 miles, 5 tires, $1250. Can't wait to see them on my JL.
Please post before and after pictures. That would be a big help to someone who wants to do this later on.

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
This is great advice for anyone wanting to change the look and performance of their Sport or Sahara on the cheap, while sticking with OEM parts. Deals are out there, but you have to be ready to jump on them when they pop up. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure!

Jeep Wrangler JL Getting started with bigger tires F6435386-A879-40F0-A9E9-135B284C8910

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Thanks all, happened to find a guy who just bought a 2021 Rubicon and upgraded his wheels. 10 miles, 5 tires, $1250. Can't wait to see them on my JL.
Very nice. Congrats!

OP
OP

rayzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking of putting them on myself, these might still have the sensors in them? Would I need to do anything to make the sensors work if they did?

Also should I get any type of balance or alignment after?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I was thinking of putting them on myself, these might still have the sensors in them? Would I need to do anything to make the sensors work if they did?

Also should I get any type of balance or alignment after?
No need to do anything but mount them up, just be sure to torque them to 130 ft lbs, the JL has 14mm lugs so they're cranked down pretty good, the spare is much looser though, around 50 ft lbs IIRC.!

Sensors should work fine if they're included, and even a better deal if they are :)

If for some reason you notice a high speed vibration then a balance check would be needed, but doubt any issues will arise.

OP
OP

rayzor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well first time needing to jack up my jeep, found out my floor jack isn't going to reach. Now I need a new jack
Sponsored