Sponsored

Getting back into the Jeep world- need advice

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I really like the ZF automatic and glad I spent the extra 1G for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
As far as motors, I chose the 3.6 and am quite happy with it. My 2019 JLR is always loaded(5180 lbs.) and ready to off road, it’s not a daily driver. I do drive into the coastal mountain back country from 7 ft. elv. to 5,500 ft elev. and it has plenty of power. IMO the better choice for off road duty.
My rig...https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/biscuit.1163/
I have a Cummins turbo charged/ 6 spd. manual in my 11,200 lb. 3500HD Ram RV tow vehicle. The turbo doesn’t care what the elevation is, makes full power and climbs grades beautifully. The manual trans. is excellent for gearing down during down grades. Not so great doing stop and go in towns.
If your going to be loaded and towing a small trailer in the mountains. I just might recommend the 2.0 turbo/ 6 spd manual. FCA will get the flywheel issue resolved. Only thing that bothers me is how long will 2.0 last without major cost. The 3.6 has been proven with reports of 100,000+ miles and no major costs.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The Recon has the 2.0 eTorque. Here is a link about the 2.0T. Notice the only people who complain about the 2.0 are people who DO NOT own a 2.0T or have never driven one. 95%+ of actual 2.0T owners love the 2.0.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/anyone-have-2-0-turbo-regret.17142/

You can also read through both the 3.6 and 2.0 technical threads about reliability and make your own decision on what's more reliable. You will find the 2.0T has been very reliable.

OP
OP
Rastro88

Rastro88

First Name
Rastro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2020 JLR
UPDATE:

First off thank you all for the input. So here is what I did.

I'm in Oklahoma, but I bought the Jeep in Idaho from Dave Smith, they killed every dealer I checked in Oklahoma or in Phoenix. I had the Jeep shipped to Phoenix to start the build. I will be turning this into a SEMA Jeep with the help of a friend in PHX. So come November it will look completely different, then after the SEMA show it will be shipped to my home in Oklahoma.

I went with the 3.6L V6 but it was much much closer than I expected it to be. I honestly think the final straw was the true sound of the engine, and what I can do with that sound with a little aftermarket love.

This should be an interesting 5 month build!

Jeep Wrangler JL Getting back into the Jeep world- need advice Jeep 2020.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Getting back into the Jeep world- need advice Jeep 2020-garage.JPG

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Congrats on your purchase—it will be fun to see the finished product. I purchased a Recon with the etorque last month. Too early to know anything except how surprised I am by its peppy performance. I chose the 2.0 because I like to play at high altitudes. The v6 in my 2015 was a dog at altitude. I suspect the 2.0 will be far better based on my personal experience with turbos.
Sponsored