First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Someday, their will only be Electrical vehicles to buy new. Many of them will be priced out of the average income Family's paycheck. Other's like me, are just not going to give in to the green electric powered vehicles. Then there is the infrastructure to support it. Charging stations, trained technicians to work on it, parts availability (expensive batteries from China) and the list goes on. Some are guessing 10 years, I think more realistically 25 years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Haha this guy is saying it’s right now, and he does make some interesting comparisons to other products and timelines. Product disruptions are a real thing and once the momentum gets going it’s hard to stop. I bet Nokia and Motorola didn’t think that the smartphone thing would take off.

I lean to the sooner side than some here, but I’m not convinced it’s now.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
100-200 years
I live in Wisconsin and wouldn't really do well in an electric car that costs twice as much to purchase, takes an hour to refuel if I'm very lucky even though I'm not allowed to run it down to the bottom, and the classic only having half the battery life in a Wisconsin winter.
These are still a novelty at best here and in most other areas for rich people and men in dresses perhaps who want to show how "green" they are by moving the pollution away from his tailpipe and onto an aging grid that fails constantly already while still burning fossil fuels and pretending wind mills can possibly consistently generate power
Just sayin, Yes I understand some of those guys probably don't wear dresses, I just haven't met any yet.
Honestly, wouldn't you at the very least have a lawn mower engine as a backup so you wouldn't get stranded ?
You better hurry up and get that back up lawn mower engine—gas powered small engines are also being banned. I went to get a new power head for my yard combo last week—Nope— electric small tools only (and expensive)

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
W
On the other hand, the Oil companies or Saudis (what they currently are doing with Lucid) might invest in EV's for the future, cut back on oil for use in gasoline and diesel to keep the price up.
Why not? It’s being cut back in this country to get the price up!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They
i find it very interesting that Saudi Arabia is investing as heavily in EVs as they have.
They see what countries are doing. Use oil money now to invest in EV’s for when the oil money starts to reduce- smart move.

Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
They

They see what countries are doing. Use oil money now to invest in EV’s for when the oil money starts to reduce- smart move.
My thoughts exactly. Why wait, invest all that oil money into future which is fairly clear.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
Haha this guy is saying it’s right now, and he does make some interesting comparisons to other products and timelines. Product disruptions are a real thing and once the momentum gets going it’s hard to stop. I bet Nokia and Motorola didn’t think that the smartphone thing would take off.

I lean to the sooner side than some here, but I’m not convinced it’s now.
I live in an urban area. It seems like almost all my neighbors have at least one EV now. Probably the most popular topic on the local facebook page is cost / contractor recommendations for installing a charger in a garage.

Adoption patterns will see more EVs in urban areas. The tech and capability is there for the typical consumer. Cost is an issue, but I think what is happening is people are replacing ICE cars as needed. So when the 10+ year old ICE car is on it's death bed, it gets replaced by the EV.

Rural areas and the special needs people (contractors, long commutes, hauling needs) will be the laggards in terms of adoption rate. However, they will come around too over time as tech and infrastructure improves. I think people in this group will be better served by hybrids versus full EV.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in an urban area. It seems like almost all my neighbors have at least one EV now. Probably the most popular topic on the local facebook page is cost / contractor recommendations for installing a charger in a garage.

Adoption patterns will see more EVs in urban areas. The tech and capability is there for the typical consumer. Cost is an issue, but I think what is happening is people are replacing ICE cars as needed. So when the 10+ year old ICE car is on it's death bed, it gets replaced by the EV.

Rural areas and the special needs people (contractors, long commutes, hauling needs) will be the laggards in terms of adoption rate. However, they will come around too over time as tech and infrastructure improves. I think people in this group will be better served by hybrids versus full EV.
Correct theory, incorrect timeline. My 27 year old Dodge PU is still going strong, 17 year old 210K+mi. 4R that was given to my grandson is also as is the 72 year old CJ3A, albeit slowly.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
There is large market for Ice then full battery. Full battery vehicle prices are very inflated and selling higher mileage electric is similar to owning luxury car, Mercedes, - lose 70%

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I've made some short- and long-term purchase decisions based on the counsel of my neighbor, who is a Lt. in our local VFD. You should hear his thoughts regarding residential rooftop solar panels, lol.

There's also the matter of extracting an entrapped patient; i.e., knowing exactly where to cut the A-pillar on an automobile to avoid an unwanted airbag deployment.

Finally, there's the stories that accompany the dispatch of our heavy rescue to accidents on the Interstate. I won't repeat any here, though, because they're usually sad.
Rooftop solar panels are
I've made some short- and long-term purchase decisions based on the counsel of my neighbor, who is a Lt. in our local VFD. You should hear his thoughts regarding residential rooftop solar panels, lol.

There's also the matter of extracting an entrapped patient; i.e., knowing exactly where to cut the A-pillar on an automobile to avoid an unwanted airbag deployment.

Finally, there's the stories that accompany the dispatch of our heavy rescue to accidents on the Interstate. I won't repeat any here, though, because they're usually sad.
The effect of rooftop solar panels depends on how well trained the dept. is. As far as cutting A pillars, they shouldn’t be cutting a pillar that isn’t exposed on an airbag equipped vehicle. Again a training issue. The issues with EV fires is in the science of thermal runaway and BTU absorption more than tactics.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someday, their will only be Electrical vehicles to buy new. Many of them will be priced out of the average income Family's paycheck. Other's like me, are just not going to give in to the green electric powered vehicles. Then there is the infrastructure to support it. Charging stations, trained technicians to work on it, parts availability (expensive batteries from China) and the list goes on. Some are guessing 10 years, I think more realistically 25 years.
Unless a new and better tech is invented in the next 25yrs

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Lots of folks still have horses they ride. I’ll keep my ICE vehicles a couple more decades then see about a plug in.

Brian 3.2

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Rubicon
I purchased solar panels for my home in Maryland for $36,000. After all of the Federal and State rebates I ended up paying $26,000. I did the research and my break even time will be in roughly 9 years. I then started thinking why not an EV for my personal vehicle. I am a self employed HVAC contractor so my days are in a 10,000 lb Ford Transit 3.2 powerstroke cutaway van. I purchased a Mustang Mach-E for $56,000 which qualified for a $7,500 tax credit. I purchased the vehicle in June 2021. Everything was absolutely amazing. 240+ miles on an 80% charge , I have a 240 volt 40 amp home charging station at my house. With the Solar Panels I was amazed with my new EV. I drove to Detroit and Louisville with my EV and while super charging was a tad inconvenient it wasn't unbearable. Although the cost at Electrify America seemed to vary widely. Along came the winter months and my range dropped to around 150 miles on a 80% charge. That's with a new extended range battery. I started thinking about battery degradation and knew I had to dump my EV asap. Luckily in our current auto market I sold it for $55,000 with 9k miles on it. So after the tax credit that I received I profited. In my driveway now sits a Rubicon EcoDiesel. I am all for EV vehicles but in my case and climate the technology isn't there. I can't imagine how you could own an EV anywhere the temperature drops below 20°. My Rubicon doesn't care if it's 20°outside it still provides warmth in the cabin without cutting my range in half.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Astronaut
Some of the comments here are pretty good. I love the ones about infrastructure and grid……I’ve been to lots of towns without a gas station and most all of them had electricity. Don't forget the gas is underground in tanks usually. No electricity and the station can’t pump gas kinda a catch 22.
Siphon
Sponsored