Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Parts arrive Tuesday to hopefully finish.

In good news, it looks like I’m getting refunded for both rear ring and pinion jobs. The installer is still refusing to admit any fault, but front of the house saw the evidence and negotiated a refund. If the check shows up and clears, I’m willing to just blame the tech at this point.
Arriving in uniform probably didn’t hurt negotiations. I was on my way to an out of town event that starts this afternoon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Off topic. I’m going to try and find a stud to replace the one that broke free on the bearing retention plate (might be wrong name). My boss wants a shot at welding the new one on. Would JB Weld work just as well? I’m going to strengthen up all of the studs while I’m at it with whichever method is best. I’m assumi

I know nothing about welding other than dissimilar metals are complicated. I’m worried the heat will warp something, or cook the bearing. I could be worried for no reason though.

If I can sort this out I might be running this weekend again. I’ve just got to hammer in pinion races in the morning and then do the shim setup. My pinion depths match, so I’m hopeful I won’t be messing with pinion shims.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Best of luck. The local place and the one recommended by everyone including the Jeep Club, didnt warranty my gear install since I BROUGHT, NEW in box Yukon gears for them to install. I had to replace two seals in the last 5 months and now after your thread, I'm paranoid. My MTs are at around 20K miles and they hum so loud, I cant hear any squeals if any in the gears! LOL

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Best of luck. The local place and the one recommended by everyone including the Jeep Club, didnt warranty my gear install since I BROUGHT, NEW in box Yukon gears for them to install. I had to replace two seals in the last 5 months and now after your thread, I'm paranoid. My MTs are at around 20K miles and they hum so loud, I cant hear any squeals if any in the gears! LOL
I feel old now. “Back in my day American business stood by their work!”
Not the case anymore. As a cook I hated the “customer is always right” mantra when they were idiots, but I’ve had horrible luck with anything the last 5 years. I had a small landscaping company working over the weekend and they asked to be paid Saturday before the bank closes. I obliged and they vanished without finishing the work. Lawn service would not cut my lawn but still expect to be paid. That’s the new norm I’ve found.
So now I do everything myself!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
@chevymitchell , I've managed to create new problems. I overcrushed my crush sleeve and can't get it off the pinion. I have spares, but didn't expect it to get stuck. Any ideas? I tried heating it with a heat gun, but might have to go buy/borrow a torch. My other idea is rent another puller and try to grab the bulge in the sleeve to press it off.

My PTTR went from 18 in-lbs, down to 10 on the next hit (weird), then with another quick bap from the impact jumped up to 40.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@chevymitchell , I've managed to create new problems. I overcrushed my crush sleeve and can't get it off the pinion. I have spares, but didn't expect it to get stuck. Any ideas? I tried heating it with a heat gun, but might have to go buy/borrow a torch. My other idea is rent another puller and try to grab the bulge in the sleeve to press it off.

My PTTR went from 18 in-lbs, down to 10 on the next hit (weird), then with another quick bap from the impact jumped up to 40.
You just need to get it to move. Once you budge it it will come right off.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Use a chisel and a sledge. It’ll come right off. Calling the UPS STORE now to see what’s the deal with the shafts. I flew to Detroit this morning. Got some time now to check into it.

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
You just need to get it to move. Once you budge it it will come right off.
Use a chisel and a sledge. It’ll come right off. Calling the UPS STORE now to see what’s the deal with the shafts. I flew to Detroit this morning. Got some time now to check into it.
Just keep pounding around the sides of it until it loosens up? Also, if I go the chisel route where am I putting it?
Jeep Wrangler JL Gear Swap 569FF955-3AFF-4D84-8257-3B931CA34F6A

Thank you both again!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just keep pounding around the sides of it until it loosens up? Also, if I go the chisel route where am I putting it?
Jeep Wrangler JL Gear Swap 569FF955-3AFF-4D84-8257-3B931CA34F6A

Thank you both again!
Stand it up with the pinion up and have someone hold it. Hit the bulge with the chisel. It’s not pressed on they just get stuck when they compress. It shouldn’t take much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
There's something wrong with the pinion. It does not evenly apply pressure. It's hitting a hang-up spot where torque to rotate jumps by about 10 in-lbs. Bearings were inspected for any debris and oiled prior to install. I have a feeling after I get this bolted back together and sort out the axle issue I'm going to have to pay a shop. It was just too beyond me to get it right.

It also took WAY more hammering on the impact with both crush sleeves today to get to my preload spec.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
There's something wrong with the pinion. It does not evenly apply pressure. It's hitting a hang-up spot where torque to rotate jumps by about 10 in-lbs. Bearings were inspected for any debris and oiled prior to install. I have a feeling after I get this bolted back together and sort out the axle issue I'm going to have to pay a shop. It was just too beyond me to get it right.

It also took WAY more hammering on the impact with both crush sleeves today to get to my preload spec.
A lot of the time when there’s a small hang up like that, the cage is damaged on one of the bearings.

The sleeves can be tough to crush if your impact isn’t big enough. You can pre-crush them to help that. Throw it in the press and press it .010”-.015”. This will help smooth out the crushing of the sleeve.
Sponsored