• Total voters

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
that's how I would use it as well. what size tires are your duratracs? I plan on either K02s or Nitto Ridge Grapplers on our 2019 when it comes in. (I'm told 12 long weeks ) but it will give me time to,order stuff. Chief products has some new rock sliders that look good, and uneek 4x4 has a ton.
I went with the 275/65/18 Duratracs because I was able to get them in a SL rating but still had a 16/32nds tread depth while only weighing about 9 or 10 lbs more than the stock Kevlars. I wanted to try to keep the weight of the tires down as much as possible with running the V6, and also keep the ride from getting too stiff by going to a D or E range tire, but I also wanted a bit deeper of a tread....most of the SL rated tires are only 10 to maybe 14/32nds. I have about 16 k miles on them and they are wearing well and evenly, and still smooth and fairly quiet.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Like I've said for years, the ONLY place where the Wrangler outshines the other Jeeps in the lineup is when you get into heavy rock crawling. If you're doing the Rubicon trail, difficult Moab trails, or something similar in the mountains then yes you need a Wrangler. Otherwise, the other Jeeps will follow a Wrangler anywhere and do it with more comfort and luxury. Heck I used to follow packs of Wranglers on Jeep Jamboree trails in my Liberty CRD.

I voted Grand Cherokee.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Like I've said for years, the ONLY place where the Wrangler outshines the other Jeeps in the lineup is when you get into heavy rock crawling. If you're doing the Rubicon trail, difficult Moab trails, or something similar in the mountains then yes you need a Wrangler. Otherwise, the other Jeeps will follow a Wrangler anywhere and do it with more comfort and luxury. Heck I used to follow packs of Wranglers on Jeep Jamboree trails in my Liberty CRD.

I voted Grand Cherokee.
and if you take a wrong turn on a medium trail in Moab, and end up on a hard one recommended to have 35" tires or more, you can get through with a Trailhawk as long as you are not worried about body damage lol. long story, but was way impressed with how well it did, and my family did not get stranded in the desert.

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 275/65/18 Duratracs because I was able to get them in a SL rating but still had a 16/32nds tread depth while only weighing about 9 or 10 lbs more than the stock Kevlars. I wanted to try to keep the weight of the tires down as much as possible with running the V6, and also keep the ride from getting too stiff by going to a D or E range tire, but I also wanted a bit deeper of a tread....most of the SL rated tires are only 10 to maybe 14/32nds. I have about 16 k miles on them and they are wearing well and evenly, and still smooth and fairly quiet.
I had not driven the Hemi Trailhawk before we bought our 2017 with the 3.6. our one complaint was that the engine/ transmission / quadra drive combination seemed a little clunky, or not refined. My wife spent a few days driving pretty much every SUV out there from a crv, to an Audi Q7. She actually loved the hemi Trailhawk over all of them. The hemi Trailhawk actually feels like an entirely different vehicle than the 3.6, way smoother, and seems to address the few complaints we had with the 3.6.

I wanted the CRD, but after driving the Hemi I was sold as well.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I had not driven the Hemi Trailhawk before we bought our 2017 with the 3.6. our one complaint was that the engine/ transmission / quadra drive combination seemed a little clunky, or not refined. My wife spent a few days driving pretty much every SUV out there from a crv, to an Audi Q7. She actually loved the hemi Trailhawk over all of them. The hemi Trailhawk actually feels like an entirely different vehicle than the 3.6, way smoother, and seems to address the few complaints we had with the 3.6.

I wanted the CRD, but after driving the Hemi I was sold as well.
Honestly I don't find mine to be clunky or weird at all, Really I have no issue with the V6 other then I wish it had a bit more torque especially at altitude. Really I'd be perfectly happy with the V6 if the Hemi didn't exsist. I drove the CRD Overland and the V6 Overland before I ordered my Trailhawk and at the time the slightly better MPG and slightly cheaper payment won over the Hemi, and the CRD just didn't have the spirited feel I was looking for. I will most likely go with either a leftover MY18 Hemi Trailhawk or maybe a MY19 or if the MY20 redesign is nice maybe.....not sure of the timing. I'm not in a hurry so it will depend on when/what I decide then I'll pull the trigger. Barring I don't throw caution to the wind and order a JLUR hahahahaha

Sponsored

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR

I voted Grand Cherokee.
It also outshines on cool factor and convertable(ness). But thats just preference.

They are both solid vehicles.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I half-joked with my wife that I'm leasing my Wrangler, and after 3 years when I get it out of my system I'll buy or lease a GC like I should've gotten in the first place like every other suburban dad. And it's half true. I figure I'll reach the end of the lease either loving the Wrangler like a lunatic or eager to get back into a nice, quiet, comfortable car, where the GC would be perfect. Either way is fine with me.

WWHorizon

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 2005 WK
Guess I’ll throw in here. Last year I was considering a JK/JL to replace my GC. I test drive them, borrowed a friends Rubi for a month, pondered over it for months. In the end I kept my GC and bought some better skid plates/rocker armor.

There was a post above that I liked as it represented what I’ve personqll experienced over the years as well; my Grand has followed (sometimes led) many a Wrangler all over. Shear rock crawling capability? Nope- but I don’t drive in those places. I have front and rear ESLD’s that pull through most anything. My GC is 1000x more comfortable than any JK I’ve ever been in. Unless you live ON a mountain, like most people your Jeep will see 90% pavement/ 10% trail. Cool factor- personally I don’t care what someone else thinks of what I drive. Removable top and doors- my TJ SUCKED in anything below 65 degrees. If I want “wind in my hair” I’ll ride my motorcycle or drive the wife’s convertible. Just my PERSONAL opinions obviously but that’s been my experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love Jeeps, all of them. But as an everyday driver/road trip/trail-camp-explore ect. the Grand is hard to beat.

If you’re looking at GC’s, also consider that “OverLand” is a luxury option. The TrailHawk May fit you better. Oh and the massive sunroof on these things does offer a pretty good open air experience. Also consider, unless compared to a Rubicon trim, the Quadra Drive System is one of the best in the world, having driven both in prolonged nasty conditions, I’d take it over the base 4wd system that comes in a Wrangler.

Edit- forgot about the Sahara Selec-trac, it’s a very good System too.

Again, not a popular opinion, especially here, but it’s mine based on my personal experiences.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Most of the issues I've read have been transmission related. The GC uses an 850RE and I believe the JL uses a ZF. I wonder if there's a drastic difference between the two
The 2014+ WK2 V6 and JL use the same automatic transmission, it's a ZF design that is licensed to and built by FCA based off their 8HP45. The WK2 V8's get a stronger design based on the 8HP70

Janne

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue , ‘96 BMW 328i Convertible
I was considering the 5.7 GC Overland, as well. I traded my 2015 fully loaded 3.6L Durango Citadel for a 2018 JLUR. 2k miles later, I do not have one regret! Loving every minute of my new DD. During the summer I use an older BMW convertible for my DD. More than likely the BMW will continue to be my summer choice as it gets much better gas mileage. I can’t wait to drive the JLUR on my summer weekend adventures!

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
This is like your wife asking if you think she or your new hot neighbor Betty has better hair style.

You will certainly say she has, but will secretly vote for Betty.

WWHorizon

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 2005 WK
Of course you will. Because you’ve already been with Betty in high school and she’s old news by now. The wife always wins....she knows where you sleep.

WWHorizon

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 2005 WK
“The 2014+ WK2 V6 and JL use the same automatic transmission, it's a ZF design that is licensed to and built by FCA based off their 8HP45. The WK2 V8's get a stronger design based on the 8HP70”

They’ve come a long way. I’ve had to replace every transmission in every XJ and ZJ I’ve owned. Thankfully it’s an easy job.

I think the TM in V6 and Diesel models are MBenz. The Hemi’s get a Chrysler transmission. My 5.7 and xmission are still going strong at 168k (I drive a lot).

The Grand was designed for most of us and will do very well what most of us do. We all (maybe?) dream of being the KING (or Queen) Rock crawler conquer the mountain and save the day. But realty is we drive endless miles on the Interstate and carry families to BBQ’s. The GC allows you to do all of this AND take on the occasional trail when you have time. Mild mods and some additional armor will take a Grand far. I was very disappointed when Jeep got rid of the front ESLD in the later WK2...but aftermarket has a cure. However, look at the ground clearance available with the select terrain (standard I think on OverLand and TrailHawk) compared to a JK Wrangler. You might be surprised. Approach/departure angles are pretty good too. There’s a reason the GC is/was/will remain so popular. It does most of what a Wrangler will do and a whole lot a Wrangler can’t do; in the real world.
Sponsored