Sponsored

Build a JLU Sport S vs. Buy JLU Rubicon? Pros and Cons?

Is it cheaper to build a JLU Sport S or to Buy a JLU Rubicon?

• Total voters

asudchiman

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.myjeepandme.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2011 Lexus GX 460 and my wife's vehicle... but I refuse to admit that I own it. (jk - it's not that bad)
Is it cheaper to build a JLU Sport S (lockers, etc.) or buy the JLU Rubicon already done from the factory? And Why?

Thanks
Sponsored

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
I think it depends on how built you are referring to. ie swapping axles etc. Rubicon seems to give a good base for builds plus rubicon factory stuff is actually worth $ when you sell them.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Is it cheaper to build a JLU Sport S (lockers, etc.) or buy the JLU Rubicon already done from the factory? And Why?

Thanks
Go to Jeep.com build each with what you want feature wise. I negotiated an order for exactly what I wanted at the same price as I would have gotten for one on the lot. The downside is I have to wait until they start building them.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
If you do no additional Mods to the Rubicon, probably. But I haven't seen much success in that regard. The Rubicon is built for someone who has a need to traverse rocky terrain. Having said that, and I'm biased by videos, most of what I see are Lifted Rubicons on bigger than stock tires, more robust than stock skid plates, higher clearance and break over points then stock etc. If you are going to replace all that anyway, buy a cheaper body and structure and modify away.

My plan is to stick to stock and bypasses.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you do no additional Mods to the Rubicon, probably. But I haven't seen much success in that regard. The Rubicon is built for someone who has a need to traverse rocky terrain. Having said that, and I'm biased by videos, most of what I see are Lifted Rubicons on bigger than stock tires, more robust than stock skid plates, higher clearance and break over points then stock etc. If you are going to replace all that anyway, buy a cheaper body and structure and modify away.

My plan is to stick to stock and bypasses.
I hope that my Rubicon easily traverses Malls and occasional gravel roads with ease lol. My plan is to change very little as well and nothing that would modify its already ridiculously robust offroad capabilities.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I like the Rubicon route as it will require the least amount of work out of the box for an extremely capable Off Road vehicle. When I was younger I had more time and patience to remove and replace and modify. I still love to get dirty on smaller less intensive mods but with the newer vehicles I tend to rely more on the shops which puts you at the "shop rate". You have to search around for shops that make you feel comfortable and have a reasonable rate. For example I have a '92 Suzuki Sidekick and while learning, I had an issue where I would blow a fuse every time I shifted into reverse, after a month of frustration I took it to a shop my parents recommended. $120 later I found out they changed a bulb. Lesson learned and the shop is out of business. Time is money as they say and if you have more time than money then go heavy into mods but if you have a little money buy something more capable and spend your time wheeling with a huge grin

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
As others have said -- depends on the level of 'build' you want.

If you are going to do a hard core build where you replace axles and everything with stronger parts anyways, then you might as well start with a Sport. Frames, motors and transmissions are the same.

But if you are going to build a Sport just up to around the level of the Rubicon, then obviously you should just buy the Rubicon to begin with.

It's very doubtful you could build up a Sport to the level of the Rubicon for significantly less than the price difference between the two models, and that's not even considering factors beyond the cost of parts, such as warranty, higher resale, etc.

Last edited:

95Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Price of bulb: $1.00
Knowledge to know that it's a faulty bulb: $119

I had an issue where I would blow a fuse every time I shifted into reverse, after a month of frustration I took it to a shop my parents recommended. $120 later I found out they changed a bulb. Lesson learned and the shop is out of business.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If you buy the RUBICON--EVERYTHING THAT MAKES IT RUBICON HAS JEEP WARRANTY--

If you build a SPORT to the RUBICON LEVEL--you loose not only down time/inconvenience, but JEEP WARRANTY-

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

rogo

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Automation and Controls
I bought a Sport because I was already over budget. I was looking at a used 2012 with 100k on the clock. but for less than 100 more, I got into a brand new Sport. I love it. Already added Ridge Grappler 285's and some other cosmetic stuff. Winch/bumpers/etc on the way. I also bought Rubicon take off suspension to put on.

After all that...I wish I could go back and just find the extra money for the Rubicon. To me the beefier axles and gear ratio basically make it worth it (again for me).

If I were you and had to ask myself the same question knowing what I know now... I'd go with the Rubicon.

In the end, if you don't like the Rubi, it's not like you couldn't trade down to a sport.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I bought a Sport because I was already over budget. I was looking at a used 2012 with 100k on the clock. but for less than 100 more, I got into a brand new Sport. I love it. Already added Ridge Grappler 285's and some other cosmetic stuff. Winch/bumpers/etc on the way. I also bought Rubicon take off suspension to put on.

After all that...I wish I could go back and just find the extra money for the Rubicon. To me the beefier axles and gear ratio basically make it worth it (again for me).

If I were you and had to ask myself the same question knowing what I know now... I'd go with the Rubicon.

In the end, if you don't like the Rubi, it's not like you couldn't trade down to a sport.
I'm in a simliar boat...bought a sport s for $33k and took it offroad a few times and then put on rubi takeoff suspension/wheels/tires. Want to eventually go to 35" tires and regear/add lockers. Wish I wouldve paid $39k for a base rubicon 6 speed with d44 axkes, 4.10 gears and lockers covered under warranty.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Here's how I decided, after getting over initial sticker shock. I really asked myself what kind of 4-wheeling was I REALLY going to do (not just to look good). Then I look at the features (options) each came with: Sport S or Rubicon. I realized, I am going off road and over/up/down/around some good obstacles, but nothing my 03 TJ Freedom Edition couldn't handle. Anything beyond that was past my comfort level. And trust me, those areas I went aren't to be laughed at. That then sold me on the top of the line Sport S. All I need to do is go to a larger grippier tire and done.

But if you are going more extreme then certainly start with the Rubicon. Here in CO some trails have signs letting you know the level of difficulty. If not then google the trail and probably there's a thread about it somewhere and it may very well tell you the difficulty. I'm good with easy/moderate, but difficult to most difficult is for my brothers and their built Cj-7 and TJ's with me as passenger! Now that's FUN!

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest a very thorough sport s vs Sahara vs rubicon comparison to see if any little things you are giving up you may care about:

Not avail / after market on sport S:
LED headlights not avail on sport s ... after market weak currently.
8.4” screen not ava on sport s (HD radio not an option on sport s)
USB in back seat center console not avail on sport s
AC power in cargo not avail on sport s
Gap filler in cargo after market on sport s
Footwell lighting not avail on sport
Paint fenders not avail on sport
PAint hard too not avail on sport

Rubi fenders are higher
Rubi comes w sliders
Rubi suspension is better / higher
Rubi hood is cooler
Rubi wheels / tires better and you can sell for $1200+ if you want to “upgrade”

Lastly, Rubi will hold resale value better vs a pricey sport s??

I have a sport s and like it a lot, but I’d like some of above.

Adding @ChattVol comments:
You left off some of the most expensive upgrades...the base level rubicon comes stock with dana 44 axles, 4.10 gears and lockers. Adding those three features aftermarket to a sport will cost $7k+.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I wanted a 2 door, so I looked at Sport S and the Rubicon. I figured I could upgrade the Sport S to be closer to the Rubicon, but it still wouldn't be a Rubicon. And my budget would allow a Rubicon. And a Rubicon is what I've wanted. So I ordered a Rubicon, and it will be covered under warranty. Maybe I will try to save money with the next one.
Sponsored