OP
KaDeTime

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
I think, you should get a GC Trailhawk.
It's more rugged and offroad capable than the Overland, and more comfortable than a Wrangler.
I had a Trailhawk for 2 days when my GC Overland was in the shop. I was very tempted and only the perspective of a new Wrangler was holding me back.
(I'm driving a Renegade now in between which is nice cause I live in the middle of Berlin at the moment ;)
interesting, i like the overland as the trailhawk dont have cooling seats but that's something to think about
Sponsored

Gpndavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2
I bought a used 2014 GC Overland last year. It has the 3.6 and QuadraLift suspension. I have put 30K trouble free miles on it. The air suspension rides great on road, but sacrifices wheel travel for height off-road. This requires a different technique to drive than a Wrangler with its solid axle coil set-up. The GC often has tires in the air and bucks and bangs until torque gets to a wheel with traction and onward you go. Kind of goofy, but it seems to work. As far as comparing to an Overland to a Trailhawk, don't worry about it. I have outfitted my Overland with more capability than a TrailHawk. I added 17 inch Rubicon takeoff wheels and 31.5X10 inch tires. I added all the Mopar skid plates and Mopar rock rails. I will admit the Overland won my heart in a weak moment (it was summer and the cool breeze up my backside was seductive). I should have bought a Limited with the V8 and regular suspension for the power and wheel travel.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm very turn and wont something that is not in production. Comfort of the GC when going to destination then the JL experience... I wonder what is it that makes the GC so much more comfortable then the JL? is this something you can upgrade in the JLto match the GC?
Wait for the new Ford Bronco?

Between the Ecoboost motor, and it most likely not being as hardcore off road as the Wrangler will probably make it more comfortable on road. Also you would get more open air feel then the GC as its suppose to have removable panels.

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Depending on how much time you have.... I'd wait and test drive both before you make your decision.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
interesting, i like the overland as the trailhawk dont have cooling seats but that's something to think about
The Trailhawk does have cooled seats. I have a 17 with the Lux group - Pano roof, Bi Xenon lights etc.....with the safety group and rock rails.

Coming from 4 Wranglers 97 TJ Sport, 04 TJ Rubicon, 12 JKR and 15 JKUR Hard Rock.....I wasn't taking the top and doors off other then the freedom panels, and I wanted something more comfortable and smooth etc.

I went with the 17 WK2 Trailhawk, its really quite good off road. Would I take it on the Rubicon Trail, No. But I have run some pretty rough trails near Phoenix Arizona as well as Broken Arrow in Sedona, ran White Rim Trail in Canyonland NP, bunch of trails in Moab and in Ouray CO.

It has taken me anywhere I've wanted to go. Is it a Wrangler......Nope, but its not supposed to be. I was seriously considering going back to a Wrangler JLUR in the next year or so, but that doesn't make any sense for me. Do i still love Wranglers, Yup. So so much.....the JLs are so awesome, but to spend all that money on a JLUR when I don't wheel crazy stuff anymore, more overlanding and traveling. My commute is quiet and smooth, off road I can raise the suspension, when I load it up for a trip it self levels. I did put some 32 inch tires on it.

There is a lot of surprise when you come around the corner of a decent trail in a Grand Cherokee.....haha

I probably will get a new vehicle in the new year or so.....but it will most likely be another WK2 Trailhawk......but this time it will probably be Hemi or EcoDiesel.........HTH

Just realized i brought this thread back from the dead....Whoops

Last edited:

Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Have you made a decision? I'll chip in my two cents. Yesterday I took my 6 year old son scouting for deer in central Washington (after leaving work early at 3pm). We climbed about 2500 feet in the Oak Creek Wilderness. We took forest service road 216 from Oak Creek road to the top of Bethel Ridge. I consider this "Overlanding" as it is a very primitive road only maintained by those who ride it (clearing fallen trees...) While I didn't have to use lockers or 4low on this trip I had lots of good size rocks, huge ruts, and deep washouts and some 20 degree climbs (would likely scrape a stock sport wrangler or GC fairly often on this trip).

My Rubicon has a 2" mopar lift, stock 33" tires, warn front bumper and winch, and a few mopar accessories like tailgate table, grap handles, floor mats, cargo liner...
On the way is the gobi rack and rear warn bumper when available. Likely 35 or 37" tires in the future.

My overland plans include doing the backroad discovery routes of the western states, backcountry hunting trips, and backcoutnry flyfishing trips.

I also commute for work both in and out of town.

I have recently owned a Toyota Rav 4 and a GMC Canyon Crew Cab.

I am young (33), athletic, and have 3 young kids.

Priorities for me where a fun vehicle (topless) that will take me everywhere I want to go without worrying about scrapping or high centering.

If your not interested in the fun topless factor and will stick to gravel roads then the GC might be great but the fun go anywhere were my two top priorities.

Pick your priorities and go for it. For me with hard top and headliners in the hard top, the luxury of the top of the line rubicon is amazing.

IMG_0431.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Here are a few of some shots from a trip in AZ and Canyonlands NP

WK2 AZ1.jpg

WK2 AZ2.jpg

WK2 AZ3.jpg

WK2 UT1.jpg

WK2 AZ1.jpg

WK2 AZ2.jpg

WK2 AZ3.jpg

WK2 UT1.jpg
what tire carrier is that and what size are your tires? Imlove the tire carrier and want to order asap.

I sold a 2017 WK2 Trailhawk with the 3.6 in February to order a JLU Rubicon. I was one of the unlucky ones with bad frame welds, and decided to not re-order after that. We went and drive the Hemi Trailhawk, and we were sold. will soon be placing an order for a 2019 WK2 Trailhawk with the Hemi.

we took our 2017 to Moab and Colorado and had a blast. it was not a Wrangler, but it did great. now we have moved to AZ, and feel the Trailhawk will be great here. I want to go to a K02 tire, but will keep it pretty stock except for aftermarket skid plates etc. I will still end up with a Wrangler for pure trail use, but wow after driving even the JLUR and Hemi Trailhawk back to back it was an easy decision for everyday use. (my wife hated how the JLUR felt like it was wandering so bad. shemnoticed the steering within the first few miles. she did not have the same issues with a 2018 JKUR we also drove)

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
That’s impressive. I guess good driving is all you need. You seem like a skilled driver.
Thanks for the kind words, I started wheeling about 24 years ago in New Jersey with a beat up 76 Toyota FJ40, then a 87 Suzuki Samurai, then in 96 the Jeep addiction started with my TJ on to where I am now.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
A few pictures from our Moab trip in our 2017 WK2 Trailhawk.

AE2B7269-4EC2-4D60-AC30-B84AEFCD4D94.jpeg

030A943D-20DB-4FB5-B24D-ADF07A433985.jpeg

41AAF698-6C4B-4855-B05D-E0FACCDB4EF1.jpeg

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
what tire carrier is that?
It's a Wilco Off-road hitch gate. Really nice peice of gear. I don't leave it on all the time, just nice for trips plus if I needed I still have an additional spare in the stock location under the floor in the cargo area. There is also a Jerry can holder that I didn't have on there for that trip. The Grand has a 24.6 gallon tank, I rarely need to bring extra fuel.....unlike when I had my JKR....

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It's a Wilco Off-road hitch gate. Really nice peice of gear. I don't leave it on all the time, just nice for trips plus if I needed I still have an additional spare in the stock location under the floor in the cargo area. There is also a Jerry can holder that I didn't have on there for that trip. The Grand has a 24.6 gallon tank, I rarely need to bring extra fuel.....unlike when I had my JKR....
that's how I would use it as well. what size tires are your duratracs? I plan on either K02s or Nitto Ridge Grapplers on our 2019 when it comes in. (I'm told 12 long weeks ) but it will give me time to,order stuff. Chief products has some new rock sliders that look good, and uneek 4x4 has a ton.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
what tire carrier is that and what size are your tires? Imlove the tire carrier and want to order asap.

I sold a 2017 WK2 Trailhawk with the 3.6 in February to order a JLU Rubicon. I was one of the unlucky ones with bad frame welds, and decided to not re-order after that. We went and drive the Hemi Trailhawk, and we were sold. will soon be placing an order for a 2019 WK2 Trailhawk with the Hemi.

we took our 2017 to Moab and Colorado and had a blast. it was not a Wrangler, but it did great. now we have moved to AZ, and feel the Trailhawk will be great here. I want to go to a K02 tire, but will keep it pretty stock except for aftermarket skid plates etc. I will still end up with a Wrangler for pure trail use, but wow after driving even the JLUR and Hemi Trailhawk back to back it was an easy decision for everyday use. (my wife hated how the JLUR felt like it was wandering so bad. shemnoticed the steering within the first few miles. she did not have the same issues with a 2018 JKUR we also drove)
It's a Wilco Off-road hitchgate, the tires are 275/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs. My next vehicle will probably be a Trailhawk with the Hemi, or the diesel.....or maybe the Hemi haha....I miss the Wrangler a bit but the Grand just makes so much more sense in the way I use it.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I bought a used 2014 GC Overland last year. It has the 3.6 and QuadraLift suspension. I have put 30K trouble free miles on it. The air suspension rides great on road, but sacrifices wheel travel for height off-road. This requires a different technique to drive than a Wrangler with its solid axle coil set-up. The GC often has tires in the air and bucks and bangs until torque gets to a wheel with traction and onward you go. Kind of goofy, but it seems to work. As far as comparing to an Overland to a Trailhawk, don't worry about it. I have outfitted my Overland with more capability than a TrailHawk. I added 17 inch Rubicon takeoff wheels and 31.5X10 inch tires. I added all the Mopar skid plates and Mopar rock rails. I will admit the Overland won my heart in a weak moment (it was summer and the cool breeze up my backside was seductive). I should have bought a Limited with the V8 and regular suspension for the power and wheel travel.
I believe you have the Quadra Trac 2 system, the Trailhawk has the Quadra Drive 2 system with the electronic rear limited slip diff which is why yours was bucking and banging. The Quadra Trac 2 requires more wheel spin before the traction control terrain system kicks in. I can't even feel the tires slipping and the rear diff will lock up. It's definitely a different driving experience compared to the Wrangler off road....it's not uncommon to have one or two wheels in the air on rougher terrain.....I'm fairly used to it now.
Sponsored