Sponsored

Gas mileage so far

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Only have 80 miles on the clock but this is what I saw on a Rubicon 4dr. No idea what gas the dealer put in the tank.

1) In town ~15 MPG
2) On the freeway ~62 MPH, without cruise control ~17 MPG
3) On the freeway 62 MPH, with cruise control ~21 MPG

I'm comming from a Miata which is very easy to keep at a constant speed. I found it very hard to do the same in the JL. Not sure if I just need to get used to that floaty-truck feel or if being a big box makes it harder. Either way, I bet I just need some practice.
Can someone splain me why cruise control has such an effect on mpg?

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Can someone splain me why cruise control has such an effect on mpg?
For me, it keeps it at perfect constant speed as the highway goes up and down hill even if slightly. When I ride in other people's cars, I noticed how much people tend to slow and speed up on even slight turns or inclines.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So, the lower grade is good as long as you choose a reputable station?
Yep. And if you can figure out a station with a high gasoline content (less ethanol) the better. Some states itā€™s harder than others, especially if mandated at all levels. I make note of places in the US I can go to to get pure commercial gasoline with the lowest allowable ethanol levels.

Gasoline is a really weird & wonderful thing. Everyone knows diesel has more energy in it, but oddly enough gasoline is weird. Higher octane gasoline has more energy per L/Gal, but oddly 87 Octane has more energy by weight, though Aviation fuel has more energy by both volume and weight than gasoline, but AvGas has less energy by volume than diesel, but more energy by weight (which makes sense for weight concious flight), but most importantly Ethanol has much less on all counts.

Essentially you might get a slight boost in power (usually most impacting torque) from higher Octane fuel on its own, if the engine computer can take advantage of it, but usually itā€™s a minor boost, of maybe a percentage or a few, and really that wonā€™t move the MPG needle much. However, where it can be effective is in the areas where ambient temperature and altitude, etc can allow the engine computer to make use of that fuel and change mix, etc to derive more benefit than just the energy in the fuel itself. But you still need the energy in the fuel itself, and thatā€™s where things bunch up for gasoline, but get weak for ethanol.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, it keeps it at perfect constant speed as the highway goes up and down hill even if slightly. When I ride in other people's cars, I noticed how much people tend to slow and speed up on even slight turns or inclines.
Weird thing is for me Iā€™m the opposite, my pedal modulation is consistent, and I can keep a target RPM pretty well, but cruise-control tends to kick me into higher revs far too often.

Now the Wrangler (even the old 4spd) is far better than my experiences with Ford cruise control which I hated ā€˜cause it jumped at every chance to downshift and sky-rocket the RPM. However, unfortunately even the NAG1 still canā€™t figure out a long gradual hill where 3,200 RPM would be better than the de-celerating 2,500 RPM , or the setting-my-money-on-fire 4,700 RPM it seems to alternate with on long mountain roads/hwys.

I am hopefully this improves even more with the ZF8 in the JL, love it in our GC which seems to live quite sedatrely on those same stretches of tarmac... although that may also be thanks to the Hemi that rides along with it. ;)

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
87 is perfectly fine for the 3.6L.

E671C254-6B68-4F82-8958-3F8C0A5D37F1.jpeg
Hey Ape, so who do you think has the best gas, generally speaking? I've always had good luck with Sunoco. Not many of them around me but I do have one close by the house.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Weird thing is for me Iā€™m the opposite, my pedal modulation is consistent, and I can keep a target RPM pretty well, but cruise-control tends to kick me into higher revs far too often.

Now the Wrangler (even the old 4spd) is far better than my experiences with Ford cruise control which I hated ā€˜cause it jumped at every chance to downshift and sky-rocket the RPM. However, unfortunately even the NAG1 still canā€™t figure out a long gradual hill where 3,200 RPM would be better than the de-celerating 2,500 RPM , or the setting-my-money-on-fire 4,700 RPM it seems to alternate with on long mountain roads/hwys.

I am hopefully this improves even more with the ZF8 in the JL, love it in our GC which seems to live quite sedatrely on those same stretches of tarmac... although that may also be thanks to the Hemi that rides along with it. ;)
I know what you mean, as driving has been a major part of my profession for 24 years. Same goes for braking too btw. My wire is hard on the brakes. I try to tell her how to let off of the accelerator in anticipation of breaking, rather than balling up till the last minute and then going hard on the brakes! I try to help her, but it never goes well....
I love using cruise control on a long stretch, and passing the same guy who passed me 5 times. Lol

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Ape, so who do you think has the best gas, generally speaking? I've always had good luck with Sunoco. Not many of them around me but I do have one close by the house.
I like Sunoco a lot, but they arenā€™t out here in Western Canada, but it is my top choice at the cottage in N.Ontario where there is a station only 2KM further into town than the other options.

Out West I prefer Shell, but I also use Calgary Co-op and Costco for the significant savings. I also use Federated Co-op (which is different from Cal Co-op) for agri-gas from the card-lock for my toys for boyz (as it is road tax exempt).

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
The HEMI and ZF8 devour highway miles effortlessly, I love mine

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After I had posted, I thought about it for a second and remembered how many special editions there were. While you're right it is a little unrealistic, it's all about informed decisions. And yeah, we're not buying these things for gas mileage, but it's nice to know how bad it really is.
Yeah, I will always agree with more information to help make edjucated choices, but in order to do this correctly the full compliment of tests would be time consuming and repeating them 20+ times for the engine, transmission, axle, tyre options make things a bit prohibitive.

https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/fuel-efficiency.html

It lists mileage per trim package and pretty much lists the same for all. It's a little misleading/false if anything. Though there is a "2" that covers them... Actual mileage may vary.
I agree, especially when they do add some of the SEs that they likely/obviously havenā€™t tested, but obviously are significantly different than the regular configurations.

What I would like to see is a baseline for Sport and Rubi, and then a list or grid of items one can expect to add/hurt efficiency without an actual MPG number, just an indication that this option/feature is a small/medium/large impact (+/-) to fuel economy and to be aware of that without provinging a hard number which may be more misleading than setting expectations.

Haha. I'll shut up before someone throws rocks at me.
Nah, fuel economy matters... but often not as much as the beneficial aspect we may prefer that hurts fuel economy. I drive hundreds of kilometers a day when on road trips (longest this summer was 1,792 KMs / 1,113 Miles in one day) , but I wouldnā€™t trade the top down driving of all of it for 5 or even 10 more MPG if it were possible. However I did often trade ~5-10 KPH in cruising speed for about 4 MPG when stuggling against a strong headwind. So assuredly we all consider it, even if it isnā€™t our primary focus.

Anyways... people who drive in glass Wranglers shouldnā€™t throw stones... they might get picked up by your AT/MT tyres and crack the windshield of the Jeep behind you !! ;)

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I like Sunoco a lot, but they arenā€™t out here in Western Canada, but it is my top choice at the cottage in N.Ontario where there is a station only 2KM further into town than the other options.

Out West I prefer Shell, but I also use Calgary Co-op and Costco for the significant savings. I also use Federated Co-op (which is different from Cal Co-op) for agri-gas from the card-lock for my toys for boyz (as it is road tax exempt).
Thanks, you are a "Jeenius".

tbill59

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7; 2018 JLU Sport; 2011 Audi S4; 2014 Nissan Maxima
Mileage.jpg

18.5 MPG through 479 miles, mostly highway. The range is frustratingly low.

tbill59

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7; 2018 JLU Sport; 2011 Audi S4; 2014 Nissan Maxima
seems fine to me...coming from the JKU anyway.
I'm new to Jeep, need to adjust to a smaller gas tank than I'm used to....Mileage not that bad, might see some improvement as she breaks in.
Sponsored