Sponsored

Gas Cap and CEL

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Last week I had a “check gas cap” light. Pulled over and re-seated it and the light went away about two miles later.

Today I got a CEL.:mad: I was close to my O’Rileys and after checking the engine I went over and had them plug in the ‘code reader’ tool. I didn’t see what it said, but the gentleman said it was a fuel and air pressure system issue “typically a loose gas cap.” We reseated the cap, but the CEL remains on.

Has anyone else seen this? Or anything similar? It seems really odd and I’ve had both kinds of lights that seem to come and go.
Thanks!:like:
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Last week I had a “check gas cap” light. Pulled over and re-seated it and the light went away about two miles later.

Today I got a CEL.:mad: I was close to my O’Rileys and after checking the engine I went over and had them plug in the ‘code reader’ tool. I didn’t see what it said, but the gentleman said it was a fuel and air pressure system issue “typically a loose gas cap.” We reseated the cap, but the CEL remains on.

Has anyone else seen this? Or anything similar? It seems really odd and I’ve had both kinds of lights that seem to come and go.
Thanks!:like:
Similar— I was repeatedly getting “gas cap” code on my 4R, replaced cap, continued, tried winding it like I was winding a clock, no more codes. 😊

jblackst

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU; '22 JL (well, it's the wife's)
Usually takes a few 'cycles' to clear this CEL/code. Make sure it's on and tight, then just drive normally.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes the cap “threads” will become dirty and they may not allow the cap to seat the O-Ring seal well enough. I use a fuel injector cleaner in my vehicles and when I get done putting that in I usually wipe the O-Ring and the Threads with a little cleaner and a paper towel.

Seems to works well for me. Even my Wife’s 2010 Dodge Journey still has the original Gas Cap and is working fine.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Very well could be your JL needs a fuel filler cap replacement.... and sure it could be a leak in the evaporation system. Code (P0452)

A few months ago I had the same situation as you. I tried cleaning the area where the cap seals,
was more careful screwing the cap back on.... but still had intermittent fuel cap notice/code.

Anyway, after comparison of my JL's fuller filler cap to a cap on another JL, I saw my JL had a compressed, dried out gasket.

I replaced the fuel filler cap.

IF you opt to change out your fuel filler cap, for a 3.6, order/buy a 68484447AA Mopar Fuel Tank Filler Cap. That part# is the current revision offering..

IMPORTANT: IF the tether is longer on your current fuel filler cap, swap tethers with the new cap.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Mmmm... I've forgotten to re-screw my cap (i'm ashamed to say more than once) and I've never had a code come up.

I always wondered why?... does this only happen on certain models?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@geem03

No, nothing to do with specific models..

You may have seen and placed the fuel cap back on/tightened it, before the JL alerted you.... or... you may just have missed the EVIC (see pic below) warning and you took care of the loose cap and the EVIC warning went off..

Jeep Wrangler JL Gas Cap and CEL 6C570C87-F529-409F-863A-AC2EC5D9B120

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It can take several drive cycles for the vehicle to successfully or unsuccessfully complete a purge and seal test to verify the evap system operation.

The same light that comes on for a loose gas cap will come on for a bad purge valve, vent valve, broken hose, cracked canister, bad leak detection pump / ESIM.

Or a software update could help.

Did you recently replace batteries?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I drove back from the gas station, 25 miles, with the gas cap flapping in the breeze. Didn't set any codes, no warnings. What it did do was dent the sheet metal around the gas cap area though :(.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buster1

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Did you recently replace batteries?
me? Nope. I’ve just been driving and enjoying it (and checking fluids every couple weeks).

Edit: I just went out to the garage and sprayed a little silicone lube spray on a rag. Then lightly wiped up the gas cap rubber seal and around the filler port. We’ll see if that does anything.

OP
OP
Buster1

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Got it back from the dealer today. They did ‘multiple pressure checks’ and some other fuel system checks. No anomalies to be found.

Probably just a lose cap (even though I seated it like I’ve been doing on all my cars for 40 yrs:involve:).

Will keep an eye on it .

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I've never seen this. Or the little "missing cap light". I never even turn the rig off when I get diesel. I guess not long enough for the computer to trip a code.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I had a very similar issue during my first month of ownership, first the gas cap light, then the check engine light. Took it in, they ordered a new gas cap and hasn't happened again.

The down side is the tether on the new cap is a wee bit short, I'm just to lazy to lookup and order the longer one.
Sponsored