chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I was in a hurry and put $30 worth of gas in the Rubi while it was still running. Soon after the gas cap light came on
It went out, but not until I re-started the engine.
Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
how does leaving it running save time? Or were u just in a hurry and forgot to turn it off?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I was in a hurry and put $30 worth of gas in the Rubi while it was still running. Soon after the gas cap light came on
It went out, but not until I re-started the engine.
  1. That was a stupid and potentially dangerous thing to do.
  2. The CEL came on because you removed the cap while the engine was running. That's normal - on any vehicle.

OP
OP
chiggerdude

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
  1. That was a stupid and potentially dangerous thing to do.
  2. The CEL came on because you removed the cap while the engine was running. That's normal - on any vehicle.
That's how we rolled in the 80's.
It's not a common practice of mine and this post is just a heads up. It's a bit chilly here (Ohio as you know) at 4am this time of year and I was late for work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chiggerdude

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
People in the 80s also smoked at the pump.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
A few weeks ago, while on a road trip, 250 miles from my destination, my batteries(2) became depleted.

I jump started the JL and drove it the 250 miles to my destination. I had to get gas x 1 and had to leave the vehicle running. (Had no choice, I would not do this otherwise)..... was afraid it would not restart.

Anyway, no Gas Cap warning came on as a result.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
All Iā€™ve had for many many years has been diesels. I keep bulk fuel at home and fill there. My wife has predominantly driven gas vehicles. If we get fuel in her tahoe I cannot recall a single time where I have shut it off. Never had any issues or cel. Her tahoe is a 2018

Brett

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
A few weeks ago, while on a road trip, 250 miles from my destination, my batteries(2) became depleted.

I jump started the JL and drove it the 250 miles to my destination. I had to get gas x 1 and had to leave the vehicle running. (Had no choice, I would not do this otherwise)..... was afraid it would not restart.

Anyway, no Gas Cap warning came on as a result.
I'm waiting for my 2019 and reading the forums and seeing lots of battery issues.
Mind telling us why you had problems while on a trip. One more jeep thing to worry about. Thanks

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm waiting for my 2019 and reading the forums and seeing lots of battery issues.
Mind telling us why you had problems while on a trip. One more jeep thing to worry about. Thanks
@Joeymon1
Was an aftermarket offering that lets say triggered a 12v power draw that depleted the batteries. Really was not JL's fault.. Once batteries were recharged all was well and has continued to be aok.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
In Cali the JL will be car-jacked or stolen whilst running and the low-thief will speed away , knocking out the gas nozzle and gas will spray all over the place . That is the sort of danger one faces in Cali .

I speak from the experience of one who has needed to defend himself from a low-thief running towards me right after I pulled out my wallet to get my credit card just before dawn . Before had time to insert credit card nor opened gas cap . I had my big club , defended myself , started up , and drove away .

If Jeep had been running , the low-thief probably would have stolen my wallet or my Jeep .
Oh i get cali. Im in law enforcement here.

Being victimized by someone is not an inherent danger to fueling while the engine is running. That is a danger of living amongst others.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clever . You asked for a logical reason why dangerous to fuel whilst engine running , and I provided a real-life example why dangerous . Logical as in "reality" . Danger is danger .

Lol , then cleverly you change the nature of the danger , by eliminating my real-life example from acceptable danger . Good try .

Anyone in a big city full of rascal low-criminals would understand the danger . Try Newark or Bronx . Danger is danger , all the time .
Iā€™m with brian on this. There could be danger from being car jacked or wallet stolen but leaving the vehicle running isnā€™t going to blow up in movie theatric fashion. Anything is possible but in my line of work I have yet to see an issue from it

Brett

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Think of a big city full of low-criminals . Think Newark or Bronx . Danger is danger , all the time .
Thatā€™s an issue with crime. Has nothing to do with a vehicle running while putting fuel in it.

With your logic, Iā€™d rather it be running so itā€™s an easier score. Iā€™d rather have my vehicle stolen than be carjacked at gunpoint because the keys werenā€™t in it. Iā€™d rather keep my head on a swivel and not present myself as an easy target, but this still has nothing to do with fueling a vehicle while itā€™s running.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O.K. I surrender to @rustyshakelford and @JeepX3 . Don't accept my logical reason to turn off the engine while filling with gas .

If you guys are ever in Newark or Bronx , letting engine keep running might not work out for you . If you run to escape the low-criminal , your vehicle will still be there running , won't it ? Had you shut it down , the key fob would be with you and the engine would be stopped , wouldn't it ?

I defer to the signs in the gas stations to shut down engine . Also , I defer to aircraft shutting down before refueling . Someone understands .
I will never be in those places. Iā€™m trying to stay between Texas and Utah with maybe a surprise trip to Cali for the rubicon.

Brett
Sponsored