Kornpop

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy Silverado Z71
Hey y’all,
New to the forum. I’ve never owned a Wrangler( got the wife a grand Cherokee last year) but been a Wrangler fan my whole life since I’ve been a kid and saw Jurassic Park. No joke. Anyways I’m sorry if this has been asked. I’m currently having issues with my 17 Silverado crew cab and in a couple months I’m looking to trade in the Vehicle. I’m really looking into a 2020 JLU. I like the rubicon and Love the hood and the ability to put bigger tires off the bat because of the fenders. Is the JLU a good family car, Is the trim worth it if the I’ve never been off roading much but I plan to start exploring all over? Am I going to regret going from a Full Size truck to a wrangler? Would y’all just stick with a truck or go with a JLU? I understand some Cons of the JLU is its a bit louder than a truck, smaller, and I lose the towing capability but I’ve heard so much pros about the JLU. Sorry for the rant but any advice is apprecited. Thank y’all!

A little history: I’ve had a truck the last 7 years but use it as a DD. Hardly use it as a “truck”. I’ve done a couple dump runs, help some friends move. Nothing out of the ordinary that warranted a truck. I just liked sitting up higher, the safety, and the future family car aspect(just me and my wife). I’m currently about to move about 30 miles from work. And I will have to do that commute. I’m currently getting 15mpg in my truck because of the level and 33s so engine/gas isn’t a problem if that makes sense.
Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I have a Sport not a Rubi, but if you're like me and wanting a Wrangler most of their life - than get the Rubicon. It's an amazing feeling walking up to your Jeep everyday - after a year and half, it still puts a smile on my face.....It holds it value, fun to drive and it's something different. My two cents.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you don't plan on doing some serious offroading then don't waste your money on a Rubicon. There is literally no logical reason to get a Rubicon instead of a Sahara if you're mainly carting your family around and don't plan on using the Rubicon to do what it was specifically designed to do.

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I know everyone says get the Rubicon, but in all honesty, if you are crawling over rocks and have no need to disconnect the sway bars, then get a Sport or Sahara. I'd recommend the Sahara because it's the "luxury" trim. If Jeep offered it in the 2 door, I'd have it! If you really want a truck bed, then look at the Gladiator :like: Good luck. You will love it:rock:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
For someone not specially looking for a convertible or the ability to go off-road, then you aren't looking at a Wrangler from a functionality standpoint. So I would test drive it. If you love it, then buy one. If you don't, don't.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a Silverado, the first thing you are going to notice is how tight the interior is, and you will hear more noise inside. If you are good with that, Wrangler is a lot more maneuverable than a pickup truck.

Also, if you are getting rid of your Chevrolet due to quality issues, Jeeps are not a bed of roses. Wranglers are great fun, excellent off-road, and highly customizable, but they are not the epitome of quality and reliability. And your average GM dealer is a LOT better than our average Jeep dealer.

Finally, it is your money. But if you want a Rubicon only because of the hood...hmmm...

Either way, make sure you test drive them thoroughly. The steering feel is a crapshoot from one JL to the next; pay attention to the wind noise, and make sure to drive them on the freeway.

If it meets all your expectations, then go for it. Wranglers can become a lifelong addiction. Don’t ask how I know...

Good luck.

OP
OP
Kornpop

Kornpop

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy Silverado Z71
Thank y’all for the feed back. Really appreciate it

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I have had Jeeps before, and my new JLU is the best of them all. Very nice vehicle. Wind noise can be muted by silicone on the little plastic pieces by the mirrrors. But, I wish I would have bought the F150 instead. Much more vehicle pound for pound or dollar for dollar. I love my Jeep, but if I could go back, I would choose differently.

I can't take the top off of an F150, and that is a great Jeep attribute. I am in the process of talking my wife into an F150 for her...then we will have both

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I traded a 17 Expedition EL 4x4 for our Sahara. Having owned such a large vehicle, there was some loss of cargo space but the Jeep is less expensive between the amount owed and operation costs/maintenance since we traded Oct 23rd ‘19. We have the 2.0 with eTorque and avg 23 around home and 24-25 on road trips at the speed limit. It’s got some get up and go too.

We’re having fun it it. It’s smaller, maneuverable, and it’s got a character of its own that my wife and I like. Whoever gets to the keys first kind of thing going on here. Perhaps knowing that it’s a Jeep is a factor and a challenge to us in itself and another reason why we’re taking more trips and getting acquainted with off roading, overlanding, and having a good time. We traveled before but feel like there are more options on where to go if we push our comfort zone. Now we want a Rubicon takeoff suspension, some Ridge Grapplers, a winch, other recovery gear, supplies, her Nikon, and I’m packin’ up my game and I’ma head out west....or wherever we may roam and have a good time.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I was in the same boat as you, always wanting one and wondering the Rubicon was the right fit for me having never been offroad and probably never using its full capabilities, but i took the plunge and love it.

Is it a good family car? Yes. Wife and 2 kids fit just fine as well as all their crap. We packed it up to the gills for a 700+ mile (both ways) to Montreal and it was great. Wife and i were very comfortable in the front, and the kids had pillows and blankets in the back and watched movies and it was fantastic for them as well. Because the roof of the Wrangler is more square at the end you can fit a lot more stuff than in a SUV with the curved roofline that eats into your capacity to fit bigger/more stuff. It's no lux SUV so it's not going to be as quiet, but it's far from a noisy ride.

Is the trim worth it? IMO, yes. For what you need offroad wise, a Sahara is probably plenty enough for you (and I) but the aesthetics and proximity in cost made it an easy decision to get the Rubicon. When i was looking to buy i built both a Sahara and Rubicon with the exact options and the price difference wasn't big enough to make me go with the Sahara. I very much prefer and love the more rugged look of the Rubicon, with the hood, grill (really dislike the chrome inserts in the grill of the Sahara), bigger tires and rims. If i bought a Sahara and spent the money to change those things i mentioned, i'd already be at Rubicon price so why not go with it from the start.
Sponsored