ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
Hey Gang

I have stock 18" sahara wheels. I am changing out to Fuel Beast 17s with KO2's. The installer was getting ready to mount the KO2's on the new Fuels, and re-use the TPMS sensors from my stock wheels. They are telling me there is a chance that the sensor will break during mounting - the Fuel's have a valve stem opening that's at a 90 degree angle to the rim, where the stock rims are at a 45 degree angle. He said he might be able to manage to get to get the sensor mounted with the help of another tech holding something in place until they can get air in. Sorry - didn't fully understand what he was saying. He also said that even if he was able to get all 5 mounted without breaking them, when I were remove the tires from the wheels in the future, the sensor would almost certainly break off.

He said the wheels weren't designed to be used with TPMS - probably just plain rubber valve stems.

Does this sound right to anyone? I bought the wheels from Tirerack and am using one of the preferred recommended installers that has a great local reputation. I spoke with Tirerack and the CS rep talked to the install team and said there is no reason sensors could not be mounted without breaking as far as they know.

I also emailed Fuel, but have not received a reply yet and there isn't a phone number.

Photos of the OEM rim with sensor, and the new rim.

Stock wheel with sensor visible:

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Beast wheels - TPMS issue 20201211_085058

Fuels:

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Beast wheels - TPMS issue 20201211_085109

--
Scot
Sponsored

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gang

I have stock 18" sahara wheels. I am changing out to Fuel Beast 17s with KO2's. The installer was getting ready to mount the KO2's on the new Fuels, and re-use the TPMS sensors from my stock wheels. They are telling me there is a chance that the sensor will break during mounting - the Fuel's have a valve stem opening that's at a 90 degree angle to the rim, where the stock rims are at a 45 degree angle. He said he might be able to manage to get to get the sensor mounted with the help of another tech holding something in place until they can get air in. Sorry - didn't fully understand what he was saying. He also said that even if he was able to get all 5 mounted without breaking them, when I were remove the tires from the wheels in the future, the sensor would almost certainly break off.

He said the wheels weren't designed to be used with TPMS - probably just plain rubber valve stems. They aren't trying to sell me anything - he just stopped when he began working on the first tire.

Does this sound right to anyone? I bought the wheels from Tirerack and used one of the "preferred" recommended installers. I spoke with Tirerack and the CS rep talked to the install team and said there is no reason sensors could not be mounted without breaking as far as they know.

I also emailed Fuel, but have not received a reply yet and there isn't a phone number.

Photos of the OEM rim with sensor, and the new rim.

Stock wheel with sensor visible:

Fuels:

--
Scot
Hey Scot
You may want to check with @NTX Black Moab he has fuel beast 17x9s mounted on 37s but not sure if he utilized OEM TPMS or went aftermarket.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll reply here. I have the OEM TPMS installed, but they did indicate it was a tricky install. I've had the TPMS installed for a year (just had the 1y anniversary of the install) and no issues thus far.

OP
OP
ScottyD-NJ

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
I'll reply here. I have the OEM TPMS installed, but they did indicate it was a tricky install. I've had the TPMS installed for a year (just had the 1y anniversary of the install) and no issues thus far.
Thanks. I am going back to the shop shortly so I can see in person. Kinda hard for me to see his concerns exactly from a photo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottyD-NJ

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
I definitely see what he is talking about. But Fuel positions the stem opening in the drop center, further from the rim lip than other designs. I found other similar threads in Ford and GMS forums for other fuel wheels... it seems the common thread is take your time, be careful, and it should be fine. I hope so....

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@ScottyD-NJ: I’m not technical enough but have had no issues with the TPMS in my Fuel Beast rims but I did not reuse the stock ones. Bought my rims used and whatever TPMS unit the previous owner used worked great for him as well as for me. Consider maybe purchasing a new TPMS set to save yourself the hassle but the rims can definitely run a TPMS sensor.

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have done these rims before. A good tire man won't have a problem. You separate the sensor from the stem then install the sensor after the tire is installed. Then with a tire bar you move the bead over the sensor before filling.

OP
OP
ScottyD-NJ

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
OP
OP
ScottyD-NJ

ScottyD-NJ

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Mojito
I have done these rims before. A good tire man won't have a problem. You separate the sensor from the stem then install the sensor after the tire is installed. Then with a tire bar you move the bead over the sensor before filling.
aaaah I was hoping someone with first-hand mounting experience would chime in. This is perfect.... thanks Mr. Lee
Sponsored