juels98

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Good morning.

Wanted to see if anyone else experienced this. I live in MN and went up north for the weekend. It was -10F to -20F. Had the jeep parked for a day after about a 3 hour drive. Came in the next day to go somewhere and noticed the dash and the panel below the dash all covered in frost. I have a 2018 JL Sport S with a hard top. All windows were closed. Everything worked just fine, but of all the cars I've owned-- I've never seen frost on anything other than the windows.

Speaking of windows. Any tips on keeping the back seat door windows defrosted? I have a 4 door. The front doors I can get defrosted by setting the air to blow in the cabin rather than defrost-- but what do you guys do for the 2nd set of doors? Also, during the trip, the kids sitting in the back complained of being cold while I was sweating up front :)

Thanks!
Julian

IMG_20190101_143007921.jpg
Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Good morning.

Wanted to see if anyone else experienced this. I live in MN and went up north for the weekend. It was -10F to -20F. Had the jeep parked for a day after about a 3 hour drive. Came in the next day to go somewhere and noticed the dash and the panel below the dash all covered in frost. I have a 2018 JL Sport S with a hard top. All windows were closed. Everything worked just fine, but of all the cars I've owned-- I've never seen frost on anything other than the windows.

Speaking of windows. Any tips on keeping the back seat door windows defrosted? I have a 4 door. The front doors I can get defrosted by setting the air to blow in the cabin rather than defrost-- but what do you guys do for the 2nd set of doors? Also, during the trip, the kids sitting in the back complained of being cold while I was sweating up front :)

Thanks!
Julian

That is odd, but I would say at -10F all bets are off. I mean if there is moist air in the cab, it condenses on the dash and display and then the cab temp drops to -10 (w/o wind-chill of course) then I don't know what rules of science prevent that condensation from freezing.

For heating the back I just close 2 dash vents and open the rear console vents. Plenty of scalding hot air coming out to fry my children. I actually don't let them adjust their rear vents because they get so damn hot I'm worried it will burn them. I care less about them actually getting burned than I do about the crying that will ensue.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I saw that a few times when I lived in the upper midwest with my TJ.

I doubt I'll ever see it here in southern Nevada. ;)

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
In those temps, you are basically conducting torture tests for every system on the Jeep. Be glad it started and is running well. You’ll probably have to occasionally scrape side windows, and run the heat at a higher rate than normal to dry out the moisture inside that caused the frost.
You should be able to get heat to the back, but if kids are complaining, dress them warmer. Those extra clothes will come in handy if something goes wrong.

Sponsored

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
At the risk of telling you something you already know, you don't have the ventilation set on recirculating do you? (Do they even have that setting anymore?). I know on some smaller cars especially this can cause issues in the winter. I grew up in Minnesota, been there, done that.

One trick to keep the windows clear used to be to turn on the A/C in the winter (with the temp on warm) but these days if you have the defroster on, the A/C often (usually?) is too. Seriously.

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Good morning.

Thanks!
Julian

do you have the Mopar all weather mats installed? They let moisture in through the floor plug cutout since its not sealed, its a widely discussed issue.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
if your MoPar Jeep all weather floor mats are letting in moisture they were not installed properly! They seal just like the plugs that were removed if seated right. If not put the plugs back in the metal floor and use 'em like regular floor mats! It takes some work to seat them properly, If done right you can take the plug out of the all weather floor mat and hose the dirt out and your carpet will remain dry! When you snap the plug back in water WON"T come in from under either.

Above paragraph is another post, I love my JLU MoPar all weathers, better than my old JKU weather techs!

You are correct however about the moisture, if the carpet floor mats are wet while you travel with heat way up it will cause evaporation which turns into frost!

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Quite common with a temp change that much, get it all the time in my Jeep during the winter months on night shifts. Come to work when the sun is somewhat up and warmer temps and come out to a frosted Jeep because the temp dropped over night

Even during dayshift I park facing when sun, helps keep the windshield somewhat clearer when I come out

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
if your MoPar Jeep all weather floor mats are letting in moisture they were not installed properly! They seal just like the plugs that were removed if seated right. If not put the plugs back in the metal floor and use 'em like regular floor mats! It takes some work to seat them properly, If done right you can take the plug out of the all weather floor mat and hose the dirt out and your carpet will remain dry! When you snap the plug back in water WON"T come in from under either.

Above paragraph is another post, I love my JLU MoPar all weathers, better than my old JKU weather techs!

You are correct however about the moisture, if the carpet floor mats are wet while you travel with heat way up it will cause evaporation which turns into frost!

Go Jeep!!!
The original all weather mats didn’t come with the rubber gasket to seal the floor. They later added the rubber gasket and a crossbar in the hole.

OP
OP

juels98

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Thanks for all replies-- especially the reminders that people live in places where it doesn't snow :) The point about the all weather mats- I have those-- but the jeep came with them from the factory, could it still be an issue? Should I tell the dealer or they won't acknowledge that?

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Thanks for all replies-- especially the reminders that people live in places where it doesn't snow :) The point about the all weather mats- I have those-- but the jeep came with them from the factory, could it still be an issue? Should I tell the dealer or they won't acknowledge that?
That's a great question. I doubt they would action on it but they must have had a strategy change after release. Here is the video showing the difference between the two.

Sponsored