Sponsored

Front windshield defrost FAIL

orangecrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I know this has been discussed at length but what happened to me yesterday was completely unacceptable. I was driving in white out conditions in the mountains with a fist sized ball of snow under my windshield wiper because of the poor design of the vent. I had almost zero visibility, and no place to pull over and fix it. I'm very troubled that my "go anywhere, badass" Rubicon requires me to take my life in my hands if I'm driving in snow. It's only a matter of time before someone is injured due to this.

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It doesn't look like the defroster is the problem. There is wet slush on the windshield so it shows heat is getting there.

When was the last time you put in new wiper blade inserts? You may be better off with winter wiper blades that have boots around the frames so that the snow/ice won't build up.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It doesn't look like the defroster is the problem. There is wet slush on the windshield so it shows heat is getting there.

When was the last time you put in new wiper blade inserts? You may be better off with winter wiper blades that have boots around the frames so that the snow/ice won't build up.
Yep, a good set of "winter" wiper blades is just as important as snow tires.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I have ice melters on the lower part of my Cherokee Trailhawk front windshield comes standard with on/off switch, works great. However my JLU Sahara has no such thing? I will admit that once the windshield defroster starts to really warm up the windshiels I have never seen a buildup like you have?
There is a separate "button" for windshield defrost, I think it just speeds up the heater fan and directs all inside heat to the inside windshield?

Go Jeep!!!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ya know having been in Colo all my life I've only found winter wiper blades to be "meh."

They cost a lot more (but I only buy inexpensive blades, the prices at auto parts stores are RIDICULOUS) and don't really work any better for me. That said, Colo winters are not like Midwest or East Coast winters.

OP, ya mighta as well start playing with the vent block-off blocks. I've been meaning to order some myself, it's snowing here today

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I know this has been discussed at length but what happened to me yesterday was completely unacceptable. I was driving in white out conditions in the mountains with a fist sized ball of snow under my windshield wiper because of the poor design of the vent. I had almost zero visibility, and no place to pull over and fix it. I'm very troubled that my "go anywhere, badass" Rubicon requires me to take my life in my hands if I'm driving in snow. It's only a matter of time before someone is injured due to this.

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG
But you had all the time in the world to grab your phone and take a couple pictures while driving in said terrorizing snowstorm. :CWL:

I’m just busting your balls.

Yeah the defrost hasn’t been any good since the TJ. Well, actually since never. :CWL:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also on other vehicles (like Ford trucks), yank the arm and index up one spline; far too many OEM's try to tuck the wipers at the far bottom edge of the windshield, where it sits below the defrost air flow.

This likely won't do much on Wranglers, though, 'cause they don't sit that low to begin with

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
This isn’t really a windshield defroster problem. The angle of the windshield, coupled with the cold air outside and heavy, wet snow is the issue. The defrosters just aren’t designed to be able to combat the much colder temps outside, coupled with the fact that the wipers are constantly moving, you can’t expect them to stay warm enough to melt away snow buildup.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
This is one thing I wish my JL had from my Toyota Highlander.... a heated windshield. It is fantastic. Anyone that has this feature will probably agree.

This is not warm air blowing on the windshield from the inside it is actual heating element around the perimeter of the windshield that elevates to glass temperature that along with the defrost it basically removes the possibility of build up unless it is really extreme circumstances.

OP
OP
orangecrusher

orangecrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

I have brand new winter blades with boots. Full front defrost on highest heat setting.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I rented a Gladiator Rubicon last week during my work travels and in the mornings needed to use the defrost. I wish I had a thermometer with me because the defrost was very obviously blowing chilled air out of the right side and hot air out of the left side.

OP
OP
orangecrusher

orangecrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
But you had all the time in the world to grab your phone and take a couple pictures while driving in said terrorizing snowstorm. :CWL:

I’m just busting your balls.

Yeah the defrost hasn’t been any good since the TJ. Well, actually since never. :CWL:
I thought it was important to get a picture to make a point when dealing with Jeep. I intend to follow up with them. Some people have been successful in getting them to modify the vent. There's nothing funny about driving in these conditions in the mountains.

OP
OP
orangecrusher

orangecrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Ya know having been in Colo all my life I've only found winter wiper blades to be "meh."

They cost a lot more (but I only buy inexpensive blades, the prices at auto parts stores are RIDICULOUS) and don't really work any better for me. That said, Colo winters are not like Midwest or East Coast winters.

OP, ya mighta as well start playing with the vent block-off blocks. I've been meaning to order some myself, it's snowing here today
This isn’t really a windshield defroster problem. The angle of the windshield, coupled with the cold air outside and heavy, wet snow is the issue. The defrosters just aren’t designed to be able to combat the much colder temps outside, coupled with the fact that the wipers are constantly moving, you can’t expect them to stay warm enough to melt away snow buildup.
If you look at the second picture you can see the middle of the windshield is clear where all the air is blowing. If you're going to have a vent all the way across, it should at least have air going through the most important part, the driver side, not the middle.
Sponsored