Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone...new JL owner here. Anyone know if OK to run with hard top off but keep the freedom panels on? Getting yes and no searching the web and most of that is old info.

Thanks.
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have never owned a hard top. Looking at videos I see where it should be possible. I would have your rear hard top removed and put the freedom panels in place. Once they are lock them down with the latches and that screw piece that goes between them through the sport bar. Push on them and see if there is any give to them where they may pop off from strong winds. If they are attached and solid I don't see where this would be an issue.

Give it a try.

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
On my JK it was fine and ran it all the time. On my JL I tried it out but one latch on each side won't attach to anything and it didn't seem super secure (IMO) since it's not screwed down to anything anymore.

OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm...I guess theft isn’t really a concern or at least not for me. I would most likely only do this with the doors on but hard top off. If I went doors and top off I would roll with a bikini top or something like it I think.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I have never owned a hard top. Looking at videos I see where it should be possible. I would have your rear hard top removed and put the freedom panels in place. Once they are lock them down with the latches and that screw piece that goes between them through the sport bar. Push on them and see if there is any give to them where they may pop off from strong winds. If they are attached and solid I don't see where this would be an issue.

Give it a try.
Except there aren't screws anymore. The Freedom panels rely on the clips to secure them between the windshield and the rear hard top. Without the rear hard top section, what would hold them in place back there?

See post #3

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except there aren't screws anymore. The Freedom panels rely on the clips to secure them between the windshield and the rear hard top. Without the rear hard top section, what would hold them in place back there?

See post #3
I have seen a few videos of the JL and when they removed those freedom panels they stated and showed a large circular handle attached to a threaded bolt in the center between the panels at the back of them. This was going into the sport bar I believe. Do you have that? What is the purpose of it?

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I have seen a few videos of the JL and when they removed those freedom panels they stated and showed a large circular handle attached to a threaded bolt in the center between the panels at the back of them. This was going into the sport bar I believe. Do you have that? What is the purpose of it?
Don't know those videos, but definitely no more screw. The outer clips attach to the rear section, whereas the inner (middle) clips attach to the sport bar. But, without the outers fastened, it just seem too unstable.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
After numerous studies in rooms with many blinking lights and doohickeys that arc electricity also years of animal testing and that guy running on the treadmill with all them tubes Jeep has discovered you don't need the damn Freedom Panels without the rest of it! Sure... would it be nice, maybe, but can they sell you something else that can do it??? Yes, yes they can! :like:

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I'll try to find the video, but some jeep reviewer said its "allowed" to run the freedom panels with no top and that its perfectly safe that way. I was trying to figure a time when I would want to do that. I mean if the Hardtop is off, the soft-top will be installed. Will I still carry my freedom panels with the soft top installed? I doubt it. I think if you need some shade, the spider shade seems like a better idea. (Or Soft-top up minus the windows, I think that is a cool look too. Someday I'll get my order and check it out for myself.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
By looks of this video it would be doable.. The L locks that replace the screws affairs that were in the JK appear to latch/lock into indents on the sound bar itself.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know those videos, but definitely no more screw. The outer clips attach to the rear section, whereas the inner (middle) clips attach to the sport bar. But, without the outers fastened, it just seem too unstable.
Yes I have seen those but also others where dealers are going over features of ones delivered on their lots. Somebody here with a JL in their hot little hands have a hard top that can say if this exists?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have the hardtop. I may be understanding your question wrong, but there are no screws involved with the freedom panels. The panels are just attached by four clips that need to be swung away from the frame. Takes about 10 seconds to do that and lift the panels out.

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
On an older JK, I only had the hardtop, so this was appealing for me to do. I would run like that for weeks at a time. I can't image there are any safety concerns doing so, if only half of the clips are latched. I even looked into the duster cover for the back and soft window behind the front seats, but was told there will be leaks because there was no good seal between the freedom panels and soft window. I would think there would be a small market for this capability. I like the looks of the hard panels with the rest of the top off and not everyone has the dual top option. I bet its pretty common for someone to only have the hardtop. I live in Michigan, so we really only have about 4 months of soft top weather...but I still went with the dual top option...

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
By looks of this video it would be doable.. The L locks that replace the screws affairs that were in the JK appear to latch/lock into indents on the sound bar itself.

Idk, it looks like the indents in the sound bar look like they're there to allow the latches to reach the back portion of the hard top. I don't think the freedom panels would be very secure without it.

upload_2018-3-28_7-35-46.png
Sponsored