Sponsored

Frame welds all rusted

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's slag, to which paint will not adhere. Wire brush + Rustoleum should work. POR-15 is another option.

Personally, I would never Line-X a chassis. If it chips and water gets in between that coating and your frame then you're effed.

I live in CT with salted roads and am not worrying about the surface rust on the slag.
Just like the undercoatings they used to force on new vehicles in the 80/90s; a lot of these coatings can cause more problems, than help.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is what happens when parts are welded on AFTER the frame has been galvanized. Has to be ground for we!d to penetrate, then it gets a kiss of cheap black coating. Result ? Poor Porous welds, rust.
IF the frame was galvanized AFTER all assembly, AND welding, would be as it " should ", proper welds, hopefully not 1/4" off target, no rust for YEARS

OP
OP

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
This is the type or stuff i expected on my 2004 in high school. We spend 50k and lift a vehicle that now has visible resemblance of puppy shit all over it.

OP
OP

MrFritz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sahara
This is what happens when parts are welded on AFTER the frame has been galvanized. Has to be ground for we!d to penetrate, then it gets a kiss of cheap black coating. Result ? Poor Porous welds, rust.
IF the frame was galvanized AFTER all assembly, AND welding, would be as it " should ", proper welds, hopefully not 1/4" off target, no rust for YEARS
NewIm curious how many other people in the world that spend 50k on a vehicle have to go underneath and spray paint it every year

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
i also have some of this, but i caught it a bit earlier, so it didnt get as bad. I cleaned the frams and went the POR-15 route, happy with results so far. I was very frustrated that it even required it though, pretty pricey vehicle to have to get under and paint 5 months after buying it haha

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
NewIm curious how many other people in the world that spend 50k on a vehicle have to go underneath and spray paint it every year
I agree. One would think that being an off-road marketed machine, the undercarriage would have an excellent protection coating of some kind.

I saw a few light scratches on the frame in one spot that are surface rusting. Once the weather breaks, you bet my ass will be under there taking care of all the rusty areas I can see.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
How is are the welds that can't been seen protected?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
@four low is there a good thread that goes into detail on this topic? I had no idea the frames were galvanized. Why would they paint the frame after galvanizing? Why would they weld on it after galvanizing? Is this documented somewhere? Like an employee told us that's what's going on? Ughhhh. I mean I want to laugh, but it's not really funny.

To the frame repainting crowd. I don't know a ton about galvanizing, I was always told don't weld on it without taking precautions, and I've used some special paint to touch up galvanized a few times. <<< That is about the extent of my galvanization knowledge until a few minutes ago. Ye olde internet says, when you paint galvanized steel the paint needs to be zinc enriched, so just a heads up.
Sponsored