Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 2018 in 2019 and have been driving it for a few months. Was under the jeep today and saw a lot of brown spots. Found this thread and saw what people call porous welds, what ever happened with y'all's cases?

IMG_20200119_230809.jpg
Your welds are fine. What you are seeing is the paint chips off the weld because the weld wasn't cleaned properly before being painted. That's all over the place on these Wranglers. The people with problems have porous welds that are rusting or spots where there should be a weld and there isn't one. A porous weld looks like the inside of a bone, if that makes sense.
Sponsored

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
So this track bar weld with the hole in it is okay?

IMG_20200120_092745.jpg

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's hard to see the hole it's in the back part. There are parts with a lot of splatter also. What am I supposed to do. I found some welds that had way more holes in them. Like they were bubbles that popped.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's hard to see the hole it's in the back part. There are parts with a lot of splatter also. What am I supposed to do. I found some welds that had way more holes in them. Like they were bubbles that popped.
That splatter is common as well. I can't really see any sort of hole in any of those pics. If you are concerned the best thing to do is take it to the dealer and point to the specific welds you are concerned about and see what they say. Also, and probably a better idea, is to go to a private welder and show them.
Maybe take some better pics and post here and see if anyone has more to add.

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a better one. What are those little holes in the weld? Is that what people refer to as porosity?

Screenshot_20200120-095336.png

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a better one. What are those little holes in the weld? Is that what people refer to as porosity?

Screenshot_20200120-095336.png
OK, that is porosity from my understanding and obviously that isn't supposed to be there. However I believe there is a certain amount that is tolerable and the weld is still considered safe. Personal I would take t to the dealer since there is a bruh ha ha over this and have them look at it.

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This one is more than 6mm of porosity, which according to their standard is too much.

IMG_20200120_124855.jpg

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is paint chipping in the frame also. This is the bracket that holds bumper to frame. Right side.

I'll be getting inspection on 22nd. I'll let you guys know how it went.

IMG_20200120_124247.jpg

DNNDRTY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cherokee, 2012 wrangler unlimited
Here is paint chipping in the frame also. This is the bracket that holds bumper to frame. Right side.

I'll be getting inspection on 22nd. I'll let you guys know how it went.

IMG_20200120_124247.jpg
How did your inspection go?

Would not be surprised if they told you the jeep meets safety requirements even if your jeep is well below weld standards. I personally hope they get reamed in the open NHTSA investigation. There should be zero weld issues in this decade. Their minimum/standard porosity index card they use is BS fluff that FCA created to cover their f*** up

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep dealership in my area had me leave the jeep there for inspection.
I showed them the FCA "bad welds" publication thing and pointed out I had on my driver side rear LCA frame bracket a bad weld. Their tech on site said they must send the pics to FCA. FCA told the dealer they are sending a Welding repair tech to "fix the bad welds".

I am in contact with the NHSTA investigator and he wants to see the repair job after the welds are "repaired". So when I get my Jeep back I will do photos and post here and to the investigator.

My Jeeps been at dealer getting warrenty work for 16 days already in less than one year at 6K miles. I have contacted a lemon law lawyer in my area. In California if the cars in dealer being warranty repaired for more than 30 days it's a presumed lemon. I have 14 more days to go at the time of this posting and the jeep jeep d has done their part and is now waiting on FCA Corporate welder repair man to come repair. It's been there for 4 days already no repair work has been done yet.

Between the frame welds, body cracks, steering issues, (wander + too much free play), leaking 3 piece hardtop on front passenger side I would like to say that I am dissatisfied with the level of Quality Control in the Jeep I received.

Previous issues that were dealt with alrdy. Dead ESS battery and Radiator Leaking.

Now I am even more sad that I won't be able to find a new Mojito. :(

Sponsored

DNNDRTY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cherokee, 2012 wrangler unlimited
Jeep dealership in my area had me leave the jeep there for inspection.
I showed them the FCA "bad welds" publication thing and pointed out I had on my driver side rear LCA frame bracket a bad weld. Their tech on site said they must send the pics to FCA. FCA told the dealer they are sending a Welding repair tech to "fix the bad welds".

I am in contact with the NHSTA investigator and he wants to see the repair job after the welds are "repaired". So when I get my Jeep back I will do photos and post here and to the investigator.

My Jeeps been at dealer getting warrenty work for 16 days already in less than one year at 6K miles. I have contacted a lemon law lawyer in my area. In California if the cars in dealer being warranty repaired for more than 30 days it's a presumed lemon. I have 14 more days to go at the time of this posting and the jeep jeep d has done their part and is now waiting on FCA Corporate welder repair man to come repair. It's been there for 4 days already no repair work has been done yet.

Between the frame welds, body cracks, steering issues, (wander + too much free play), leaking 3 piece hardtop on front passenger side I would like to say that I am dissatisfied with the level of Quality Control in the Jeep I received.

Previous issues that were dealt with alrdy. Dead ESS battery and Radiator Leaking.

Now I am even more sad that I won't be able to find a new Mojito. :(

The weld repair tech FCA sends out is a joke LOL. The tech will selectively "try" to fix some welds, but that is about it. He'll then tell you everything else is within standard. Bottom line the full frames should be replaced with new ones, but that is not going to happen as it will cost FCA plus I am not sure they even fixed the issue fully with their robots (I saw some shitty 2019's)

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping the repairman will be like , it's too bad we can't reweld this as it will overheat the metal and make it even weaker, so the responsible thing to do would be to replace the vehicle.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sahara 2017 subaru outback
I'm hoping the repairman will be like , it's too bad we can't reweld this as it will overheat the metal and make it even weaker, so the responsible thing to do would be to replace the vehicle.
I'm starting to go through this whole process as well. Looked under my jeep, and sure enough there is a bunch of questionable welds. SMH. The manufacturing processes of today should yield very satisfactory results.

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Jeeps been at dealer for a week still waiting on the welding repairman from FCA.

So far Jeeps been at dealer for a total of 17 days. Just 13 more days to presume it a lemon.
Sponsored