OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
That looks fantastic... I actually have that gear all in my online cart already - and seeing it on yours is a great help to making my decision, thanks!

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Bull bars ... that is so Canadian :)
Truthfully though, no point in bothering with a bull bar. A steel bumper with a hoop will suffice.
About the only things you can protect your jeep from, with a bull bar, are White Tails, Black Tails, and Mulies, and Sheep and Goats if you're going that high.
When it comes to Moose or Elk vs. your jeep, at speed they're coming over the hood and into the windshield.
If it's grizz, it's a dead stop, but he won't be dead yet !!! It is exceptionally rare to hit one in the first place, and even rarer that a car sized vehicle would kill one outright, even at speed. Heck, we don't even kill them outright if we hit them with a tractor trailer.

For our flatlander brethren, you remember what they say about seeing mountain lions in BC right? "If you see a mountain lion ... it's too late."
(That's not the same thing as seeing a cougar in Vancouver though ... LOL)

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the original plastic bumpers and replaced both front nd rear with Rugged Ridge steel units. Takes stock fog lights. Winch is on the way.
20201010_093829.jpg
Getting there :)

Jeep Wrangler JL For You, My Deer IMG_8838

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
My wife clipped her first deer of the season a week or so ago.. in her under-one-month-old JL (just the tire, no damage). I was planning on putting an ARB Classic on for her before the said incident, but she was balking at the $1100 price tag.

The biggest problem I had searching for a steel bumper for her was finding one that didn't look like something was missing without a winch installed (most recessed-winch-mount bumpers had no covers, just a big gaping hole in the top of the bumper, and most top-winch-mount bumpers had non-removable fairlead loops...).

I ended up ordering a RedRock 4x4 Avenger bumper... which looks suspiciously like a DV8 FS-1 with a slightly more conservative bolt-on hoop instead of the welded-on x-striker on the DV8. I don't have it yet... will report back on its deer-stopping-ability after the next one my wife hits.

RedRock 4x4 Avenger :
Jeep Wrangler JL For You, My Deer RRAVENGER

DV8 FS-1 Bumper (on a JK, most JK bumpers fit, DV8 also sells a bracket):
Jeep Wrangler JL For You, My Deer DV8fs1

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Here is mine, aluminum rockhard

IMG_0326.jpg

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the original plastic bumpers and replaced both front nd rear with Rugged Ridge steel units. Takes stock fog lights. Winch is on the way.
Jeep Wrangler JL For You, My Deer IMG_0326
Did you install the front bumper yourself?

If so I have a question...

When I removed the stock plastic bumper today, the wiring connecter from the fog lights to the Jeep was very taught...

Now that the fog lights are so much closer to the center of the bumper - did you have any problem getting the cable to reach from the fog lights to the one in the Jeep?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL For You, My Deer F25DAFB3-619C-4297-AFD0-8DDBCDC8094B
Jeep Wrangler JL For You, My Deer BB578FAF-F852-4A91-89E5-5BC230D1E541
Jeep Wrangler JL For You, My Deer E817CDE9-1210-4EA9-89FA-165700BAF42D
My wife hit an elk with her 3-1/2 month old 4Runner a couple of months ago, put the antlers through the windshield right in front of her face. No injuries but over 24k in damages

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I hit a deer with my then-new YJ on a snowy winter's evening. I was driving carefully, below the posted limit, but the event occurred with such speed that any defensive reaction was functionally impossible.

I briefly looked for, but didn't find, the animal after safely pulling over. A fair bit of gore was left behind on the steel bumper and front fender, so I'm confident that wherever the deer went, it didn't last long.

By the time I arrived home (the vehicle could still be safely driven), said gore had frozen solid...and it was still that way when I dropped the vehicle at the dealer for the insurance-funded repair. Three cheers for PA's cold winter climate. Let them deal with it.

I recall being quite grateful for the plain and demonstrably strong stock steel front bumper on the YJ. It absorbed one heck of a thump with no observable damage. The fender took one for the team, but that was the extent of things.

I do wonder how my JL would fare in identical or even similar circumstances. I do also hope that curiosity is never satisfied.
Sponsored