Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I go the opposite direction than most forum people.

I don't need to show off so I avoid using the acronyms to brag about what trim I have. I don't even usually call it a JL. I don't even usually bother with the "unlimited" part. It's a Wrangler.

If I'm asking a specific question, I'll be more concise so that people can give better answers. But that's about it.

Getting uptight about silly forum acronyms says more about the poster than the dealer they're talking about.
Sponsored

dooms

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2021 JLU
Asking for JLURD told me more about what the salesperson knows about wranglers. I didn’t waste my time and they could go back to kicking rocks in the empty parking lot.

Go to any Harley shop and model numbers are the norm. Most Harley salespeople know what a FLHR is. If Jeep salesmen don’t know their model designation of $60k+ vehicle they are trying to sell then they don’t know their product.
While I would agree that a salesperson not knowing the "model numbers" may certainly give an indication of that individuals current depth of knowledge - I personally wouldn't let that affect my purchase.

I have owned many bikes, including 3 Harleys - all of which were purchased new. As far as HD dealers, I tend to think the employees/sales folks are a lot more dedicated to the brand and knowledge than a Jeep dealership. When I purchased my last Harley, I have NO doubt every salesperson knew what a "VRSC/VRSCDX" was, however I didnt go in asking for a "VRSC/VRSCDX"....I went in and asked to look at a V-rod (specifically a Nightrod). Personally I would not have cared whether they knew the model # and doubt they would have cared if I did. JMHO

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I agree, they should know their product if they care about their career for in person. But for me, I can care less. Mostly because if I decide a large purchase is a feasible option for me and decide to move forward. I just need to find the dealer who has what I want or can get what I want at the best price. Agree on price, get as much paper work and payment done before I come in. I want to be in the dealer for less then 30 minutes.

Good salesperson should know their customer… I ignored the dealers who wanted me to come in or offered MSRP with markups as not being serious. For me, doesn’t matter if they know their product and should put those people on the internet side of things training them to be proficient. I feel my generation would appreciate this approach, rather then the old fashion spend half a day at the dealer like my parents did growing up.
That is one of the fortunate benefits of Covid. Less time at the dealership. Mist of my buying experience was done online with a trip in to put a deposit down then a return to sign paperwork electronically and pick up the Jeep.

The only aggravation was the first visit where the salesman tried to talk me out of a Rubicon since he had none on the lot and hadn't yet realized I was planning to order mine anyway. His reasoning was totally invalid because he had no idea of exactly what was included in the Rubi package as opposed to a Sport. Made him look really ignorant, but I leveraged that into a better deal than I would have even gotten driving to Virginia. Lack of product knowledge costs sales teams a lot of money over time. I was an account manager for years, but learned my product line completely which was much more complicated than a Jeep.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
When I placed my order with the sales manager (not a salesman) he kept pronouncing it Willies and I kept saying Willis through the whole conversation. He never asked me why and I never corrected him. Granted Jeep has taken the official position that it is easier to mispronounce it than keep correcting people so they do it top down since the official surrender. When I mentioned the Dana 44 he said that he didn’t know what that was.

Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
In my driving life I’ve bought several cars new and used. New ones I’ve bought have been Honda, Jeep and Lexus. I am in process of buying a new Jeep right now. By far the worst salespeople I have ever dealt with are Jeep. Sorry, had to say it.
I know there are some great Jeep dealers out there, I read about them here. But where I live in Florida, the Jeep dealers are all horrible. On my recent hunt for a new Jeep, my experience with Jeep salespeople got so bad it got to the point where I wouldn’t even bother to speak to the floor sales guys, I just went straight to the managers to try and deal. They weren’t much better, but at least they had the authority to negotiate. Most regular salespeople had no clue what it meant to negotiate or earn a commission.
When I buy Honda or Lexus I feel like a valued customer…buying Jeep I feel like an annoyance and like they’re doing me a favor.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
In my driving life I’ve bought several cars new and used. New ones I’ve bought have been Honda, Jeep and Lexus. I am in process of buying a new Jeep right now. By far the worst salespeople I have ever dealt with are Jeep. Sorry, had to say it.
I know there are some great Jeep dealers out there, I read about them here. But where I live in Florida, the Jeep dealers are all horrible. On my recent hunt for a new Jeep, my experience with Jeep salespeople got so bad it got to the point where I wouldn’t even bother to speak to the floor sales guys, I just went straight to the managers to try and deal. They weren’t much better, but at least they had the authority to negotiate. Most regular salespeople had no clue what it meant to negotiate or earn a commission.
When I buy Honda or Lexus I feel like a valued customer…buying Jeep I feel like an annoyance and like they’re doing me a favor.
This is why I ended up buying out of state. Getting service done here is just as bad then the buying experience…

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Huh - people still go into the dealership to ask questions, and buy a car?

Seriously though - any question you have can be researched online, or even better someone on here will know the answer. Anything you need to know about a vehicle at a dealer you can find online.

I’ll talk to the dealers who come recommended on here - just so more efficient. It pains me when you have to test drive the vehicle. Never had the time for the dealership dance.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Seems like some people here want to buy vehicles like it is the 1980s.

These days there is more information on-line about a specific vehicle of interest than any salesperson can possibly know. It is a waste of time to ask any dealer any question about a vehicle.

Similarly there is information on market conditions, discounts, which dealers in an area are good or bad.

You only set foot in a dealership to do the last bit of transaction paperwork and drive the vehicle (if you don't take advantage of remote delivery). In fact, if it were not for the stupid state franchise laws, I'd be buying my vehicles from Amazon and the warranty would simply be a reimbursement from the certified mechanic of my choice. Looking forward to that future.

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
When buying a vehicle I causally ask if they currently own the vehicle. I like to get personal opinions on certain features. If they say no, I dont ask many questions.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Forum talk I understand JLURD, but if you said it to me in a conversation I'd wonder WTF you are talking about. Use words. 4 door Diesel Rubicon. Unlimited Rubicon Diesel.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is why I’m not a Jeep guy. I only work on them and own one. When I need to do something to a Jeep, I just need to know the build date and some specifics. For example:

1. Is it a 2 or 4 door?
2. If a 4 door, is it a pickup?
3. What engine?
4. After that, a VIN if it’s not a run of the mill Jeep.

You see, I use lingo that anyone can understand. On the other hand, does that not make me qualified to work on a Jeep?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
When I bought my JKU in 2013 my salesman was a jeeper. He knew gear ratios, axles, and options of all wrangler models.

Today, it really helps to do your own research ahead of time.
The person to whom I was assigned when visiting the dealer for test drives volunteered that he was a Jeep JK owner. His general product knowledge was more than a bit lacking though, even after I purposely began to ask softball questions after hearing "I believe so" (a polite way of saying one doesn't know) more than a few times. This is why I'm hesitant to use the word "salesman" here, since doing so would suggest at least a minimum degree of competence.

I had of course attended to quite a bit of online research prior to driving to the dealer, but some questions came to mind while I was there. I just wanted a bit of additional intel; I wasn't purposely trying to test the guy. I wouldn't have minded if he said that he didn't know, but that he would get the information for me. When stated with the proper intonation of honesty and assertiveness, that can actually serve to reassure the consumer. It didn't happen.

I don't know what commission might have accompanied the sale, but he surely didn't earn it. It was the Sales Mgr that physically entered my vehicle config into FCA's order system, and co-signed the printed confirmation form. The Finance Mgr attended to the ppwrk on vehicle delivery day.

Some months later, I discovered that my seatwarmer (yes, that's better) is now, um, warming a seat at a different dealer across town.

There's still an element of chance with these things, and no amount of advance preparation will inoculate us from every undesired interaction.
Sponsored