Fold That Windshield!

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
315/70/17. They are the C load rated version.
They are good looking tires. They look like BF Goodrich's KO2's?

I hope you got approval to mount them on the factory wheels. Those tires, if the ones listed above, call for a minimum mounting wheel width of 8". The factory Rubicons's are 7.5". I know I was talking with Nitto about some 35" X 12.5" x 17" Ridge Grapplers for my factory Rubi wheels. A lot of folks here are mounting 35" and 37"s on them. Nitto told me that if their tire was mounted on a wheel that wasn't within their recommended width, the warranty would be void. It has to do with putting excess strain on the sidewall. The really bad news is if you had a defective tire and it blew out on you and it caused you to wreck your Jeep, the fact that it was mounted on a non-approved wheel would override any tire defect and that would excuse the tire manufacturer from any legal liability.

Not trying to be the bad guy here, just passing along what I was told. I would love to keep my factory wheels and mount the tires I want on them and save about $1300-$1600, but not worth the risk in my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They are good looking tires. They look like BF Goodrich's KO2's?

I hope you got approval to mount them on the factory wheels. Those tires, if the ones listed above, call for a minimum mounting wheel width of 8". The factory Rubicons's are 7.5". I know I was talking with Nitto about some 35" X 12.5" x 17" Ridge Grapplers for my factory Rubi wheels. A lot of folks here are mounting 35" and 37"s on them. Nitto told me that if their tire was mounted on a wheel that wasn't within their recommended width, the warranty would be void. It has to do with putting excess strain on the sidewall. The really bad news is if you had a defective tire and it blew out on you and it caused you to wreck your Jeep, the fact that it was mounted on a non-approved wheel would override any tire defect and that would excuse the tire manufacturer from any legal liability.

Not trying to be the bad guy here, just passing along what I was told. I would love to keep my factory wheels and mount the tires I want on them and save about $1300-$1600, but not worth the risk in my opinion.
Thanks for your concern. I'm aware of BFG's spec. It is 1/2" difference and I am perfectly fine with it. Discount Tire was fine with it, too. The tires are wearing and performing exceptionally well, on and off the road. BFG, btw, said it was more to do with the ideal contact patch. They said nothing about voiding the warranty or greater stress on the sidewall.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Thanks for your concern. I'm aware of BFG's spec. It is 1/2" difference and I am perfectly fine with it. Discount Tire was fine with it, too. The tires are wearing and performing exceptionally well, on and off the road. BFG, btw, said it was more to do with the ideal contact patch. They said nothing about voiding the warranty or greater stress on the sidewall.
Glad to hear that.

I know I called 2 Discount Tire stores about mounting the 35 X 12.5 X 17 Nitto's I want. They told me they would NOT do it, probably because the Rubi wheel for that tire is 1" too narrow.

This is good news in your scenario. I will have to consider the different tire that is almost the same size!

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Love having the glass down! I always want to do it on my JK’s when I had them but had to much crap in the way for them to drop lol
Dropped the windshield the first sunny day after I got my Jeep in January :CWL:

3294E1DC-9A28-48DB-AD9A-7F9050E4C4AE.jpeg

0F13CACC-79B9-4226-AADC-D432D458B812.jpeg

859F0365-0E4E-44D4-ABF8-D71439237262.jpeg

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Love having the glass down! I always want to do it on my JK’s when I had them but had to much crap in the way for them to drop lol
Dropped the windshield the first sunny day after I got my Jeep in January :CWL:

3294E1DC-9A28-48DB-AD9A-7F9050E4C4AE.jpeg

0F13CACC-79B9-4226-AADC-D432D458B812.jpeg

859F0365-0E4E-44D4-ABF8-D71439237262.jpeg
Lol, you get extra points for doing that in the winter! Yesterday was about 83 degrees and I thought it was chilly with all that wind coming in! Awesome looking Jeep, btw!

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Glad to hear that.

I know I called 2 Discount Tire stores about mounting the 35 X 12.5 X 17 Nitto's I want. They told me they would NOT do it, probably because the Rubi wheel for that tire is 1" too narrow.

This is good news in your scenario. I will have to consider the different tire that is almost the same size!
I’m curious if the shops are more worrisome of liability issues mounting tires on wheels outside of spec
Up here I’ve never had a shop express concern about mounting a 12.5 on a pen width wheel
My wife and few others in our group have been wheeling a 12.5 tires on stock width wheels for quite few years with any issue other than running a bit lower psi to achieve proper tread wear

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Lol, you get extra points for doing that in the winter! Yesterday was about 83 degrees and I thought it was chilly with all that wind coming in! Awesome looking Jeep, btw!
Hahaha the first time I just had my ball cap, was a little frosty on the ears

Thanks! Im really happy with this build, last 2 I cut corners and paid for it in the long run. Yours is looking great too! Love the red. My wife is a huge fan of the red on the JL as well but my ex got my red JK in the divorce so can’t really get another one hahaha

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Quick question. I almost had the windshield down but one of the wiper arms wasn't having any of it. One came off fine. Last thing I wanted to due was bugger it or the jeep up trying to pry it off. Any tips on pulling off a wiper arm without wrecking it?

Thx

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question. I almost had the windshield down but one of the wiper arms wasn't having any of it. One came off fine. Last thing I wanted to due was bugger it or the jeep up trying to pry it off. Any tips on pulling off a wiper arm without wrecking it?

Thx
raise it up at the joint, like you are folding it to wash the windshield. Mine are tough until I raise them like that and then they pop right off.

Daver

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Thx
I went to Auto Zone and borrowed a tool. See this video for the tool that worked and how I did it. I show the tool and how I used it starting at about 56 seconds into the video.

18JLSB

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Black

Thx
I loosen the nuts but leave them on a few threads then hit the nuts with a ballpeen...

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I loosen the nuts but leave them on a few threads then hit the nuts with a ballpeen...
I'm probably not alone in flinching every time I read "hit the nuts with a ballpeen."
Sponsored