Floor mat dilemma

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I recently purchased a set of JL floor mats. These are the ones with the red lettering. Doing a little homework I see there is a debate over the drain protrusion. On one hand, the suppliers are lauding this as innovative design. In reality, it appears to be a flaw. The mat flange will not properly seal into the precut floorboard hole, allowing water (in my case corrosive road salt) to enter the cabin and cause rust. A “fix” is to not remove the rubber factory plug and cut off the flange on the mat. Then seal the mat with another set of factory plugs. Has anyone had experience with this? Leaving them as designed, or modifying the mat?

A good YouTube on this subject:

20180812_091307_resized.jpg
Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
A “fix” is to not remove the rubber factory plug and cut off the flange on the mat. Then seal the mat with another set of factory plugs. Has anyone had experience with this? Leaving them as designed, or modifying the mat?
I bought these and it was the new "improved" design as in the video. They still don't really seal properly and aren't a very good fit into the drain holes, but I knew that going in. I bought them because I like the style of the mats, and frankly I could not find any others out there that had both front and rear that fit a 2-door. I ended up buying two extra floor drain plugs at the same time, and after a few days just cut the flanges off and put the new plugs in the mats. So no drain for me, but that's ok. I'll just remove the mats to clean them and not worry about any water coming up through the floor drain hole.

homebrwd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Jetta (JL in the Plans)
Unless you are driving through water that is higher than your floor pan not that much comes up into the holes. As the type of person that I am who generally gets caught with his doors off having the water drain is a better thing than worrying about inconsequential amounts coming up into the holes.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've had these for months. I think mine are not even the updated ones. And I've driven in torrential rain, street flooding, and I've played around in the Salt River with my Jeep (there are videos floating around somewhere) and I haven't had water in my cabin. So nothing leads me to believe that road salt or anything else is going to get into the Jeep either.

I love that I can wash out the mats without having to pull them out of the Jeep, which is the idea of these mats.

If people don't like these Jeep mats, there are lots of others on the market now.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I did the mod and couldn't be happier with the results. I feel that I have a very good weathertight seal now. Used this Butyl tape:

3M 08620 Window-Weld 1/4" x 15' Round Ribbon Sealer Roll

The 7" length that Brandon stated in his video worked fine. Remember to remove the foam seal if you have the new style mats.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I've had these for months. I think mine are not even the updated ones. And I've driven in torrential rain, street flooding, and I've played around in the Salt River with my Jeep (there are videos floating around somewhere) and I haven't had water in my cabin. So nothing leads me to believe that road salt or anything else is going to get into the Jeep either.

I love that I can wash out the mats without having to pull them out of the Jeep, which is the idea of these mats.

If people don't like these Jeep mats, there are lots of others on the market now.
Finally something upon which we can both agree. :like: Mine fit perfectly without modification.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I left them as designed. If you press down firmly on the mat it will snap right into place, and stay there.

If I intended to use my Jeep in a manner that would possibly cause salt to form around the floor opening like it sounds you will be, I’d leave the drain plugs in the factory holes, no question. It’s not worth risking body damage in my opinion.

No way would I call the design a flaw. It’s just a matter of weighing the pros and cons
Sponsored