Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
To test how well the inner tube was sealing, I cut a hole in a piece of plastic the same size as the drain hole and did a test fit on the mat drain.

Repost of inner tubed drain.
mat_drain_5.jpg

Test fit, looks like a good seal to me.
seal test 1.jpg

For comparison, here's how the drain plug fits the test hole.
seal test2.jpg
Looks good. Like this better than the Jeep informant's approach of using the windshield tape.
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Well, after accidentally letting all of my windows open during the torrential downpour yesterday/last night, I can report that the drain plugs in the Mopar mats definitely KEEP water inside the Jeep lol

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
These mats are a great example of an amazing idea that fell a little short. The aftermarket is going to mop up (pun intended) the floor mat market when they copy the design but improve upon the minor flaws..
The funny thing about this is that Jeep has already redesigned the mats to include a bridge and foam ring to the spout, but it still fails to seal properly according to the video.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
For anyone having a floor at leaking issue this may be of interest.
That entire video really puzzles me because it seems he never pressed firmly on the mats until they snapped securely into the metal hole in the Jeep floor. The internet is full of videos of people who didn’t take the time or inspect the product well enough to make sure they were installing it according to the way it was designed. I’ve had mine installed for a week and after hearing the clearly audible “pop” from the mat securing itself into place, things have stayed put.

To watch that video it makes me wonder what a giant mess all of that adhesive is going to make when just pressing firmly on the mats will snap them right into place. Try pulling them free to do your once or twice a year under the mat vacuuming. Personally, when I put on a clean pair of underwear I like to know I can easily remove them later to wash them.

Part of this should be blamed on the instructions that come with the mats. They’re about as awful as I’ve ever seen. A lot of people who purchase these mats won’t even know what the hole in the mat is for, let alone how to install them correctly.

Last edited:

thedoc29ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I ordered two more of the floor drain plugs and placed them in the floor and in the mats. The mats raise slightly over the plugs but it not noticeable if someone didn't know better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
To watch that video it makes me wonder what a giant mess all of that adhesive is going to make when just pressing firmly on the mats will snap them right into place.
Agree about the mess, the complaint is that even when they snap in place, they will not seal the hole in the floor and will allow water in when driving through deep water. That's what the pieces of inner tube are for, to seal the hole in the floor and still be easily removable.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Can you post a link to the plugs?
I ordered two more of the floor drain plugs and placed them in the floor and in the mats. The mats raise slightly over the plugs but it not noticeable if someone didn't know better.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Agree about the mess, the complaint is that even when they snap in place, they will not seal the hole in the floor and will allow water in when driving through deep water. That's what the pieces of inner tube are for, to seal the hole in the floor and still be easily removable.
The only thing I was saying is when he puts his fingers into the mats filming from underneath the truck it’s obvious that he didn’t snap the mats into the metal holes since the mat is moving freely. Perhaps they’ll leak some when they’re snapped in, only time will tell, but they’ll definitely leak if the installer, like that guy, doesn’t snap them in properly.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I FOLLOWED THE VIDEO TO A TEE, AND MADE SURE THEY SNAPPED IN WITH A RUBBER HAMMER.
THE BLACK SEALER ISNT ALL OVER EVRYTHING JUST AROUND THE HOLES. NO WATER ITS IN AND SEALS PERFECTLY.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I FOLLOWED THE VIDEO TO A TEE, AND MADE SURE THEY SNAPPED IN WITH A RUBBER HAMMER.
THE BLACK SEALER ISNT ALL OVER EVRYTHING JUST AROUND THE HOLES. NO WATER ITS IN AND SEALS PERFECTLY.
I’m curious. Pull the mats up and report to us what the hole and the mats, and maybe even your carpet, look like after the windshield adhesive comes free. My concern is it’s like swatting a fly wit your rubber hammer- perhaps overkill and not the best solution for the “problem”.

BlackSaharaJLU

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sahara JLU (hers) '15 Silverado LT (mine)
For those not interested in using the funnel, I used my trusty Dremel with a cutoff wheel to remove all but about 1/8" of it. I then purchased another set of plugs for the floor drains and reinstalled the original plugs in the floor mats. Living in the Northeast, they use all kinds of corrosive things to keep the roads clear in the winter and I didn't want that accumulating under the carpet and rotting out the floor pan. I saw 47Jeepster used an x-acto knife to do the same thing (his looked much nicer btw) if you do not have a dremel. After reinstalling, both the floor pan and the all weather mats are sealed and there is no bump underneath the plugs on the mats.

20181028_124636.jpg

20181028_124644.jpg

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
To test how well the inner tube was sealing, I cut a hole in a piece of plastic the same size as the drain hole and did a test fit on the mat drain.

Repost of inner tubed drain.
mat_drain_5.jpg

Test fit, looks like a good seal to me.
seal test 1.jpg

For comparison, here's how the drain plug fits the test hole.
seal test2.jpg
I've copied your inner tube improvement for the Mopar floor mats and I really like how they came out! On the passenger side this part snapped into place so well that it takes some effort to pull it out. On the driver side it doesn't feel as snug for some reason, and I can't figure out why. In any case, tomorrow i'm going to give it a real life wet test by spraying water to the bottom of the car to see if the driver side fitting seals well. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
I had problems with the above method fitting snuggly as well. So I did the following with a pool noodle.

B9A242B7-2A62-4C68-930F-0C2B038D3475.jpeg
01D779D6-DDD9-4954-B511-F0699DDB5137.jpeg
3C1391D1-DD2A-4F48-9BE7-A2186B4FDDDD.jpeg
A6D42A2A-1AA5-46BC-A66D-D183D47258C3.jpeg

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I've copied your inner tube improvement for the Mopar floor mats and I really like how they came out! On the passenger side this part snapped into place so well that it takes some effort to pull it out. On the driver side it doesn't feel as snug for some reason, and I can't figure out why. In any case, tomorrow i'm going to give it a real life wet test by spraying water to the bottom of the car to see if the driver side fitting seals well. Thanks for sharing this great idea!
Just because the passenger side snaps in doesn't mean it's a better fit. The pins that align the floor mat may be forcing it to one side or the other, causing a firm snap on one side, but a loose fit on the other. The driver's side may be centered bettered with a lighter snap all the way around. Or, the passenger side may actually fit better. Either way, the inner tube should seal against all the edges. I made this diagram to illustrate how it seals.

No inner tube on the top, inner tube on the bottom.
floor mat seal.PNG
Sponsored