Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I am attempting to improve the seal of the drain in the Mopar All Weather Floor Mats. This first attempt involved cutting a 2" section of 1.1" diameter bicycle inner tube and stretching over the outside of the drain. The 1.1" tube was a pretty tight stretch, a 1.5" might be easier. I think bigger than that would be too big.

mat_drain_1.jpg

mat_drain_2.jpg

It is a tight fit, but the drain still snaps into the drain hole in the floor. I think it will provide a better seal, but it is not something I will be able to test in the near future (unless the mall floods). I will check on it after a week or two to see how it's holding up.

Another idea is to use an O ring (1.75" by my calculation) on the drain that would get compressed between the mat and floor when the drain is snapped in place.

What do you think?
Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I think we are all better off trimming the mat "funnel" a bit and then snapping the drain plug in place as if the mat was never there. Thats what I'm planning on doing.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am attempting to improve the seal of the drain in the Mopar All Weather Floor Mats. This first attempt involved cutting a 2" section of 1.1" diameter bicycle inner tube and stretching over the outside of the drain. The 1.1" tube was a pretty tight stretch, a 1.5" might be easier. I think bigger than that would be too big.

mat_drain_1.jpg

mat_drain_2.jpg

It is a tight fit, but the drain still snaps into the drain hole in the floor. I think it will provide a better seal, but it is not something I will be able to test in the near future (unless the mall floods). I will check on it after a week or two to see how it's holding up.

Another idea is to use an O ring (1.75" by my calculation) on the drain that would get compressed between the mat and floor when the drain is snapped in place.

What do you think?
Jeb: Just throwing this out here.

First off, just to make sure we're on the same page, are you basically "here" : moving the placement of the factory rubber grommet from the JL's chasis to the top of the cargo mat?

If so, consider that the water problems you are experiencing may not be "you." I believe the grommet may not hold out water as well when moved to the top of the MOPAR rubber mat from where is resides in the factory in the chassis.

Would you consider leaving it "factory?"

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I think we are all better off trimming the mat "funnel" a bit and then snapping the drain plug in place as if the mat was never there. Thats what I'm planning on doing.
Thinking of doing the same as my passenger side will not stay in place. Only difference is buying a 2nd set of plugs for the mat holes as I still do not want winter slushy going onto the floor.

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ultimately what I believe i will do as well. Currently they seem secure and I can see they are filling the hole and extending out the bottom of the floor boards but as i do not want any water intrusion I think I am going to double down sort of speak and purchase another set of plugs for these holes and plug both the floor board and the mat. It's worth the $9.00 bucks to be safe and dry....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To clarify, I have not driven through deep water and have not had any leaking. I do want to keep the mats installed as intended with the ability to drain, but I don't want excessive leaking if I happen to drive through deep water. What I found after comparing the rubber plug to the floor mat drain was that the soft rubber plug conforms/seals to the floor in a way the the stiffer floor mat can't. Also, just because the drain snaps in place firmly doesn't mean it's water tight, it isn't. The inner tube provides a softer surface to seal against, seals against the sides better and helps seal to the top of the floor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After being installed for a few days, I pulled the mats to inspect the drain. The inner tube stayed in place, held up fine and from the indentation the drain hole left around the entire circumference, it looks like it sealed pretty good.

mat_drain_3.jpg

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

mat_drain_1.jpg

mat_drain_2.jpg

What do you think?
Order a second set of drain plugs from your dealer - 1 set in the floor - 1 set in you floor mats

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I would recommend this also but it appears OP is trying to use the drain through feature as designed. I applaud him for his effort.
I agree, it would definitely be nice to have water seal and drain. I do some water crossing from time to time and when I put my mopar mats in I just left the drain plug in the floor board. When crossing to keep the a plug or grommet in place it has to grab the bottom and top of the floor board or else the force of the water will just push it up through the floor board and allow water in. The force of the water on the bottom of the Jeep would push his drain back up through the floor board if it doesn’t encapsulate the hole on the top and bottom.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is it possible to have 1 set in the floor and 1 in the floor mat at the same time?
I didn’t have any problems, never removed the one from my floor - just wanted something to fill the holes in the new mats. The other option out now would be to leave the factory plug alone and get a set of weather tech

Edge1075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is it possible to have 1 set in the floor and 1 in the floor mat at the same time?
I bought the the second set of plugs and put them in the mats and they fit fine while leaving the ones in the floor board.

Deleted member 18624

I bought the the second set of plugs and put them in the mats and they fit fine while leaving the ones in the floor board.
With the drain plug in the floor, my mats don't sit flush. I'd like to use the mats as they were designed but don't want water coming in the vehicle.

I don't plan to do any water crossings, just general driving if it rains and roads are wet.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
After the Afton Cyn. water crossing my carpet was damp. I think water seeped in thru the doors. The water line on Jeep was halfway up the doors! Anyway, I removed the carpet on return and let it dry. No problems, reinstalled super easy. So easy, next time out on long offroad adventures (water, dirt,whatever) I'm leaving the carpets home and going with the all weather mats.
Sponsored