Sponsored

Flat Towing with Installed Winch

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I intend on flat towing our Jeep JLUR behind an RV. I also want to install a winch. I purchased a Warn Zeon 8S winch and Warn winch baseplate, which I haven't installed yet. It looks like the mounting points for the winch baseplate (http://www.northridgenation.com/warn-jl-rubicon-winch-mount/) and the flat tow baseplate (http://www.blueox.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/BX1139.pdf) use the same factory mounting holes. Can a flat tow baseplate AND a Warn winch baseplate be installed on a JLUR at the same time?
Sponsored

Reactions: RC3

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
No experience but I would imagine you could stack the plates?

Why do so many flat tow vs pull a car hauler with it loaded?

Brett

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
No experience but I would imagine you could stack the plates?
Why do so many flat tow vs pull a car hauler with it loaded?
Brett
Convenience.
Connecting a flat tow is far faster and easier than loading a car in/onto a trailer and strapping it down. Then, if you stop at an RV park, finding a trailer storage location can be difficult where-as most places are designed for a flat-tow to be parked in your RV space.

As for the OPs original question, I can help as I installed a RockHard aluminum bumper, with a built-in winch mount and tow-bar connection points, on our JLU.

OP
OP

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Convenience.
Connecting a flat tow is far faster and easier than loading a car in/onto a trailer and strapping it down. Then, if you stop at an RV park, finding a trailer storage location can be difficult where-as most places are designed for a flat-tow to be parked in your RV space.

As for the OPs original question, I can help as I installed a RockHard aluminum bumper, with a built-in winch mount and tow-bar connection points, on our JLU.
I have the factory steel front bumper group and intend to stay with that. Are you saying that both the winch and flat tow baseplates will work at the same time?

dfram

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2014 Ram 1500, 2011 Ram 3500 SRW
Occupation
Retired
upload_2018-11-24_16-14-1.png

I installed a Blue Ox adapter plate, Warn winch plate and a warn Zeon 10s winch at the same time. The winch plate bolts on the inside of the frame rails and the blue ox bolts to the outside. The only modifications was to the skid plate to accommodate the base plate, I had to cut some slots to fit around the base plate. The JL tows very well behind my class c.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hinxster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL

I installed a Blue Ox adapter plate, Warn winch plate and a warn Zeon 10s winch at the same time. The winch plate bolts on the inside of the frame rails and the blue ox bolts to the outside. The only modifications was to the skid plate to accommodate the base plate, I had to cut some slots to fit around the base plate. The JL tows very well behind my class c.
That's good to know. Thanks. I plan on installing the winch way before I get around to purchasing the flat tow baseplate. Can the winch remain in place when the flat tow baseplate is installed?

dfram

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2014 Ram 1500, 2011 Ram 3500 SRW
Occupation
Retired
That's good to know. Thanks. I plan on installing the winch way before I get around to purchasing the flat tow baseplate. Can the winch remain in place when the flat tow baseplate is installed?
Its been about six months since I installed them, but I believe you could install them separate.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Or you could go this route. Bear in mind I have yet to hook it up to the RV so I can't comment on the differences between these (Maximus-3 Tow Loops) or they typical base plates on the market. What I will say tho is that this is a much cleaner install which omits the sightly bar below the bumper.

IMG_1155.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
CC58B65B-CDA6-44E6-820E-92D354F312C6.jpeg
I’ve thought about this too. The Smittybilt XRC bumper will mount a winch and BlueOx sells adapters that will let you flat tow with a BlueOx tow bar. You can get the adapters on etrailers. They must be pretty proud of them. I think they are $250 or something like that. The bumper is around $700. The adapters fit where the red hooks go. I assume you’d hook your safety chains to those triangular holes over the red hooks. The only thing missing I can see is the additional safety straps between the bumper and the Jeep frame. This is t my Jeep, so I’m not sure exactly how it’s installed.

RC3

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 392 - '20 JTR - '21 GCL

That's a pretty nice setup. I went through this a few months ago myself but did not even look into Blue Ox because I already had a Roadmaster Towbar. The Roadmaster baseplate would not work with the Factory Steel bumper anmd winch. It was either the baseplate or the winch. I ended up getting a new bumper (LOD) and selling my steel bumper. This was a bummer - I really like the front steel bumper. The rear is another story!
20180819_193259.jpg

Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I also went with the aluminum Rockhard. It is being delivered on tuesday along with the warn winch. Now if only the Rubicon would show up. Not all RV's are limited to 5k lbs towing. My last 2 were 10k and 15k respectively. I also ordered my jeep just for flat towing. I will drive it around town some also, I tend to drive something different every day. Although in the winter I am limited to about 5 because I'm not taking some of them out in the snow.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
;)Ok, move aside everyone, move aside. The big guy is coming through. Flat towing with wenches is what I do every weekend at the Renaissance Festival. I've got one in front and back.

The "store's open." I'll tell you everything you need to know, just ask.;)

wranglerwench.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
:puke:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
No...I get it @Rhinebeck01, I really do. Two women happily posing with a Wrangler in Renaissance custom inviting a play on words between winches and wenches disgusts you because you prefer your women to be of the blowup kind.

Yours words, not mine.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what’s-on-your-christmas-hanukkah-list.18437/#post-448804

(In case you erase it, it said as your holiday wish a:

• Blow up doll named Mandy
  • Blow up doll named Sandy
  • Blow up doll named Pam
)

Sometimes your satire (I'm assuming that, rather than the ladies you found repulsive in mine) I don't like. I consider others might disagree and leave it alone.

Last edited:

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
;)Ok, move aside everyone, move aside. The big guy is coming through. Flat towing with wenches is what I do every weekend at the Renaissance Festival. I've got one in front and back.

The "store's open." I'll tell you everything you need to know, just ask.;)

wranglerwench.jpg
Love it! Let the fireworks begin...
Sponsored