Sponsored

Flat tow behind a Motorhome - instructions when unhooking?

Jake21

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi
Hey Guys. Anyone here flat towing? The instructions for an auto when you go to unhook is to:
1: Start engine
2: Shift to neutral
3: Turn off engine
4: Transfer case to 2H.
5: Shift to park
6: Unhook jeep
7: Start engine

Why would I need to start the engine to do these steps? Couldn't I just shift to neutral and put the TC into 2H?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jake21

Jake21

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi
I haven't tried in a while, but don't you need to start it to get it out of park?

I assume you're talking about an automatic, of course.
Yes. it is an Auto. I hadn't thought about needing to start the engine just to get it out of park. Gonna go try that now.

Thanks,

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
Hey Guys. Anyone here flat towing? The instructions for an auto when you go to unhook is to:
1: Start engine
2: Shift to neutral
3: Turn off engine
4: Transfer case to 2H.
5: Shift to park
6: Unhook jeep
7: Start engine

Why would I need to start the engine to do these steps? Couldn't I just shift to neutral and put the TC into 2H?
You don't need to turn anything off.

I hook up.
Turn engine on.
Put parking brake on.
Put tranny in neutral.
Put transfer case in neutral.
Put Tranny in park.
Release parking brake.
Turn engine off.

Done.

Why are you putting the transfer case in 2H? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Over 2500 miles flat tow on my 24.

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat tow behind a Motorhome - instructions when unhooking? 20231124_090049

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jake21

Jake21

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi
I was asking about unhooking.

Thanks,
JJ

You don't need to turn anything off.

I hook up.
Put parking brake on.
Put tranny in neutral.
Put transfer case in neutral.
Put Tranny in park.
Release parking brake.

Done.

Why are you putting the transfer case in 2H? Sounds like a recipe for disaster

OP
OP
Jake21

Jake21

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi
Ok. So start engine, shift to neutral, then shift transfer case to 2H while engine is running?

Thanks,

Missed that.

Reverse instructions.

No need to turn engine off at all.

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
Ok. So start engine, shift to neutral, then shift transfer case to 2H while engine is running?

Thanks,
Yes sir.

I never understood why the instructions ever said to turn engine off. It's not needed. Nobody shuts their engine off offroading and shifting the transfer case. So why would it need to be done while hooking or unhooking for flat tow.

OP
OP
Jake21

Jake21

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi
Ok cool. Appreciate the advice. I thought it was dumb also, but I didn't want to screw it up and then I would be the dummy.

Yes sir.

I never understood why the instructions ever said to turn engine off. It's not needed. Nobody shuts their engine off offroading and shifting the transfer case. So why would it need to be done while hooking or unhooking for flat tow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jake21

Jake21

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubi
HAHA. That probably looked like the inside of my TJ transmission once. After about 6 years Full time and pulling my TJ over 75000 miles, I made the bone head error. Late getting out of our campsite and the incoming was waiting for us to leave. Hooked up the jeep and put the shifter in neutral. Got distracted and drove off. 6 hours later pulled into a rest area for the night. Did a walk around and thought, that smells weird. Looked inside the jeep and had that , oh shit moment.

Wednesday was the first time towing the JL. Checked and rechecked. Had the wife outside as I pulled the jeep about 2 feet to verify wheels were spinning. As I was leaving, still turned the MH left and right so I could see the jeep's wheels in the mirrors. San Diego to Tucson and then back yesterday without any issues.

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
I find it easier to get in 2H if I leave the engine running.

OldNavy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Ok cool. Appreciate the advice. I thought it was dumb also, but I didn't want to screw it up and then I would be the dummy.
I believe that this discussion is only relevant to certain models. I have a 2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited that was previously owned by a leaser that we assume NEVER moved the transfer case out of 2H. I say that because we tow our Jeep behind our RV. First, the owner’s manual states the process for preparing to tow is:

1) start engine
2) transmission to neutral
3) engine off
4) transfer case from 2H to N

For our Jeep, there was NO WAY the transfer case would even move without doing this first. Now, after 9 months of towing, it’s starting to loosen up.

After detaching from the RV, the process begins with starting the engine, moving transmission from Park to Neutral, then shutting the engine off. At times, you can shift the transfer case directly from N to 2H. However, most of the time this fails and I have to start the engine then move the transfer case from N to 4L. After that, the only way to get the transfer case to 2H is to move the transmission to Reverse, then back up (or move forward if you have room) at a speed of about 3 MPH. WHILE MOVING, shift the transmission to Neutral, then the transfer case from 4L directly to 2H. This was recommended by the dealer and usually works but, if not, start the process over again.

As mentioned earlier, my transfer case is starting to loosen up but the separate procedures are required for connecting (transfer case to N) and disconnecting (transfer case back to 2H).

I know this sounds complicated, but that’s what’s working for me.
Sponsored