Sponsored

First JL problem - door limiting bolt

Sting Gray Heel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sport S, 2018 JL Sport S (on order)
I figured it out.... no way to pull it out without just a ton of leverage. Couldnt get it out at all with a pair of pliers. The problem is that I must have pulled the door when it was not all the way open, meaning the arm was still mostly in the door. Had to snake another hex bit in there to get it threaded a bit, then opened the door more to get the arm to extend, then when i pushed the door open it came out to where I could finish screwing it in. Going forward I will make sure that the door is at the widest open point before pulling it. I recommend everyone else do the same.
Okay, I ran into this problem this weekend as well. I saw a YouTube where a guy said he threaded a shoelace through the eyehole of the door-check (where the bolt goes) and created leverage to pull. That seems like a PITA to me.

I'm not really following your solution, dwood. Did you actually thread the bolt through the door-check eye hole and into the door frame a bit, then open the door wide (pulling the arm out of the door), and then finish bolting it in? I tried to do that but my door-check was so far in the door that I couldn't even get my fingers between the door jam and the body frame to try to start threading it in by finger. How did you manage to get a hex bolt in there? Maybe yours wasn't as far in as mine? Or am I just misunderstanding?

Any other suggestions/ideas? (I guess I could just skip it and rely on the tether, which I'm used to from my former JK.)
Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Okay, I ran into this problem this weekend as well. I saw a YouTube where a guy said he threaded a shoelace through the eyehole of the door-check (where the bolt goes) and created leverage to pull. That seems like a PITA to me.

I'm not really following your solution, dwood. Did you actually thread the bolt through the door-check eye hole and into the door frame a bit, then open the door wide (pulling the arm out of the door), and then finish bolting it in? I tried to do that but my door-check was so far in the door that I couldn't even get my fingers between the door jam and the body frame to try to start threading it in by finger. How did you manage to get a hex bolt in there? Maybe yours wasn't as far in as mine? Or am I just misunderstanding?

Any other suggestions/ideas? (I guess I could just skip it and rely on the tether, which I'm used to from my former JK.)
this just happened to me yesterday!!!

How did you fix it? Still driving with the door-check disconnected? Lol.

Sting Gray Heel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this just happened to me yesterday!!!

How did you fix it? Still driving with the door-check disconnected? Lol.
Actually, yes. I had a JK before the JL and I'm accustomed to driving with just the tethers, so it's not such a big deal. I really haven't tried very hard to get them out, actually. Doors are off at the moment anyway. But since I ran into the problem, and not really seeing a great solution here, I've just left the door-checks unbolted when I put the doors on. I still haven't taken the back doors off, and when I do I'll be sure to do it with them fully open to try to prevent it from happening.

khanson63

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Actually, yes. I had a JK before the JL and I'm accustomed to driving with just the tethers, so it's not such a big deal. I really haven't tried very hard to get them out, actually. Doors are off at the moment anyway. But since I ran into the problem, and not really seeing a great solution here, I've just left the door-checks unbolted when I put the doors on. I still haven't taken the back doors off, and when I do I'll be sure to do it with them fully open to try to prevent it from happening.
What I found works very well, and takes about 2 seconds. Grab the plate where the bolt goes through with a vice grips, give it a quick tug. Pops right out! Very difficult with regular pliers, quite easy with vice grips.

Sting Gray Heel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I found works very well, and takes about 2 seconds. Grab the plate where the bolt goes through with a vice grips, give it a quick tug. Pops right out! Very difficult with regular pliers, quite easy with vice grips.

no issue with damaging the plate with the vise grip pliers?

Sponsored

First Name
antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl wrangler unlimited sport
Just happen to me and i somehow managed to get a few threads of the stock bolt thru and pulled it out

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
This problem is shitty. I want to keep that door check strap unbolted all summer, just like I do the hinge bolts. I bet it's fixed in gen 2 or 3 of the JL

cork

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2DR
I figured it out.... no way to pull it out without just a ton of leverage. Couldnt get it out at all with a pair of pliers. The problem is that I must have pulled the door when it was not all the way open, meaning the arm was still mostly in the door. Had to snake another hex bit in there to get it threaded a bit, then opened the door more to get the arm to extend, then when i pushed the door open it came out to where I could finish screwing it in. Going forward I will make sure that the door is at the widest open point before pulling it. I recommend everyone else do the same.
I found an extra long hex bolt, got it to bite, and this worked like a bloody charm. The "door catch" (as Chrysler Jeep refers to it) goes down as one of the more ingenious Wrangler upgrades. No more mirror dents. Next we need to get that sticking issue resolved.

mvtiger03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Had the same problem. Finally figured it out. I got in the jeep (sitting in the seat) so I could barely open the door just enough to give me room to put the bolt through the door limiting hole and start threading it by hand just enough to let me open the door and force the door limiting bar to pull out.

MOABGuy

First Name
Som
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MOAB'19
Ran into the same problem, your solution fixed it. Thank you!

Sponsored

JoeRubi

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
WHew! Did the same thing this weekend on my passenger front door. Good idea that they recess so you don't have to use them in the summer if you take the doors off a lot, but they should pop back out so you can re-attach for winter months (I am in MA).

Going to try some of these ideas tonight to fix mine. Thank goodness for this forum!

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
So beyond the issues with getting these to pop back out, you can let them suck into the door and not have to mess with them, correct?
Do they recess enough that they don't hit the door frame at all when the door is closed?

Magpie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Well thank god I found this thread. I accidentally pushed my door check into the drivers side door this weekend when taking the door off and thought I had royally f****ed up. Sitting in the seat I closed the door as much as I could and thanks to fairly small fingers I was able to thread the stock bolt in just enough for it to grab and then pushed the door open to pull the door check out of the door. Glad to know I’m not the only one to have done this and glad you guys already had solutions!

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
This problem is shitty. I want to keep that door check strap unbolted all summer, just like I do the hinge bolts. I bet it's fixed in gen 2 or 3 of the JL
FYI... it is not. 2020 JL and it’s happened 3x in the few months Since I bought it. It only happens to passenger door for me.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It's hardly even a problem, you just need to pull hard on it.
Sponsored