Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
Shit, now something else to worry about. I wonder if the dealer can just give me the supplies and i do the service at home myself. Torque specs correct, parts correct, everything done right.

I've never been burned by a dealer oil change but they definitely are lazy. Spilled oil, slightly overfilled, etc.
Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I did the first oil change the other day, at 2750 miles on the odometer. Used Motul 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40 and Mopar filter. It’s only within the last month or so that Motul’s website shows MS-12991 for this gen2 version.

My drain plug was not leaking, but was kind of scary how loose it was. Barely needed the wrench to move it. And I mean barely.

I followed the recommended draining procedure where you loosen the filter housing just till air can enter below the o-ring, giving it 5-10 mins to drain. This done to prevent the ”dirty” oil (on the outside of the filter) from mixing with and entering the engine through the center hole.

I used an oil extractor (a Pela hand pump model) to suck out the oil pooled up in the oil filter cavity. It must have been a cup or two in the cavity on the dirty side and down the center hole combined. I poured fresh oil back in those two cavities, thinking that would be a good idea to minimize the seconds where bearings are not receiving pressurized oil on the first start.

I was curious what metal the filter element caught, so took it all apart. As others had mentioned, there’s a bypass valve at the bottom of the assembly (or top, as mounted on the engine). The element took just a twist and a tug to get it out of the housing. It seals to the valve housing with a blue o-ring. After seeing how it’s constructed, I feel a new element could be reliably changed out in the housing with a little care taken. I understand the public isn’t able to buy just the element. Is that correct?

I stretched out the entire folded element, looking for metal bits large enough to see, and took the attached pic of the one area having as much or more than other areas. I found less metal than any other 1st-change filter I’ve dissected.
Jeep Wrangler JL First Diesel Oil Change 70DE5D52-365A-489A-BBFE-E4E97D7EB3BC
Jeep Wrangler JL First Diesel Oil Change 2A55F75D-6A50-45A4-A2BF-4A8C0089227D
Jeep Wrangler JL First Diesel Oil Change 02CDADBF-011A-4DB7-A870-658C6D3583FC

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Does anyone just change the oil out at a mid-cycle interval, then another oil change with filter at the normal cycle?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I do it more often than that: 1st Oil change at 1,000 miles and then every 3,000 miles thereafter. Certainly an overkill, but it makes me feel warm & fuzzy.

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
That's what I figured I'd do for the normal post break-in life of the engine.

For the break-in, I'll most likely do an oil and filter change at 500-1000. Then Oil only at 2500, 5000, 7500, then oil and filter at 10k. After 10k start the oil only then oil/filter cycle mentioned early.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
That's what I figured I'd do for the normal post break-in life of the engine.

For the break-in, I'll most likely do an oil and filter change at 500-1000. Then Oil only at 2500, 5000, 7500, then oil and filter at 10k. After 10k start the oil only then oil/filter cycle mentioned early.
I'd suggest always changing the filter with the oil. They're frightfully expensive at the dealer, but Amazon has them for $50:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G8K3Q42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, may be overkill, but my dad always said frequent oil changes are the best insurance you can buy.
Sponsored