Sponsored

Fire Extinguisher...Element or ColdFire?

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I want to buy a Fire Extinguisher, and I thought I had decided on an Element E-50. However, I just heard about ColdFire. In addition to extinguishing fires, they can supposedly protect a person or objects from burning.

Does anyone have any experience with ColdFire extinguishers?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fire Extinguisher...Element or ColdFire? element_e502_540x

Jeep Wrangler JL Fire Extinguisher...Element or ColdFire? 1610139640727

Sponsored

Last edited:

Retlaw

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 f150
I have a couple of both,
One of each mounted in the back and an element up front

thankfully haven’t needed to use either yet but have digested all the info on them and I think they each have their place.
My thinking is element for a fire thats just starting, in or under vehicle that doesn’t need an aggressive assault

And cold fire for something alittle more involved or Occupant trapped etc

I think they are both good and not really one or their other kinda thing

OP
OP

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a couple of both,
One of each mounted in the back and an element up front

thankfully haven’t needed to use either yet but have digested all the info on them and I think they each have their place.
My thinking is element for a fire thats just starting, in or under vehicle that doesn’t need an aggressive assault

And cold fire for something alittle more involved or Occupant trapped etc

I think they are both good and not really one or their other kinda thing

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Retlaw; I might buy both as well. That way I'll have one for my Jeep and another for my Wife's car. When we are out on the trail, I can bring both of them.

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the Element extinguisher. Element extinguisher is rated for Class A, B, C, and K. ColdFire is rated for Class A, B, D and K. IMO Class C (electrical) protection is more important than Class D (combustible metal).

Sponsored

OP
OP

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Food for thought. Put a BlazeCut T200E under the hood.
Very cool! I like that it's automatic. I might eventually consider getting one.

I need to get a standard extinguisher, as it's required to participate in most of the organized off-road events in my area. They want us to be able to put out our own fires or assist others if needed.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I've got an Element E50 in my Jeep.

The Cold Fire extinguisher looks interesting because of its size and price, but I couldn't find any information regarding the discharge time for any of the sizes they offer.

The Element E50 has a discharge time of 50 seconds, that's 4 times longer than a traditional 5 lb fire extinguisher, and the larger Element E100 has a discharge time of 100 seconds.

IMG_20200726_200928.jpg

IMG_20200728_165322.jpg

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Which mounting works best for the Element E50? Does the roll bar mount work well in the JLs?

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Which mounting works best for the Element E50? Does the roll bar mount work well in the JLs?
I think the roll bar mount sold by Element Fire is meant for an ATV or something with a much smaller diameter roll bar than the JL.

The Element E50 comes with a single plastic clip for mounting, but you can purchase a second plastic mounting clip of about $4.

The additional plastic mounting clips were out of stock when I bought mine, so I picked up the Rugged Ridge 1.5" Flashlight mounting brackets (Rugged Ridge 11238.06) from Amazon and used those to mount my E50 to the sound bar. One whack with a rubber mallet got them to the right diameter for the E50.

You could also use some velcro to mount the E50 pretty much anywhere since it only weighs about half a pound.

Sponsored

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
I think the roll bar mount sold by Element Fire is meant for an ATV or something with a much smaller diameter roll bar than the JL.

The Element E50 comes with a single plastic clip for mounting, but you can purchase a second plastic mounting clip of about $4.

The additional plastic mounting clips were out of stock when I bought mine, so I picked up the Rugged Ridge 1.5" Flashlight mounting brackets (Rugged Ridge 11238.06) from Amazon and used those to mount my E50 to the sound bar. One whack with a rubber mallet got them to the right diameter for the E50.

You could also use some velcro to mount the E50 pretty much anywhere since it only weighs about half a pound.

Thanks for that awesome suggestion. I've been looking at fire extinguishers and this looks like a good one that I hadn't heard about.

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Last I looked, the E50 will fit into a Maglite flashlight mount. I think Ace Engineering makes one that mounts not he drivers seat rail between the door and the seat.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the roll bar mount and have two Velcro straps holding it to the roll bar above the driver side door. It is out of the way and easy to get to as I get of the Jeep.

0C3B9D61-F315-4314-9E62-F4D2DB8A5809.jpeg

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Many thanks for your suggestions. Will order today.

Last I looked, the E50 will fit into a Maglite flashlight mount. I think Ace Engineering makes one that mounts not he drivers seat rail between the door and the seat.
I bought the roll bar mount and have two Velcro straps holding it to the roll bar above the driver side door. It is out of the way and easy to get to as I get of the Jeep.

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
I was wrong about the seat rail mount being made by Ace. I was thinking of the one that is made by Maximus 3, except theirs isn't a seat rail mount. Theirs bolts in above the door to the roll bar, similar to the Element one shown above that is attached with Velcro. Personally I like the idea of the roll bar location because of the faster access if my window is down, which it usually is.

Here is the actual seat rail flashlight mount I saw pictures of. https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/flashlight-holder-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-gladiator-jt

And the thread I saw it in originally. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-for-my-element-e50-fire-extinguisher.51300/
Sponsored