Sponsored

PowerTank - suggestions or recommendations?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Fellas,

Do any of you have a PowerTank yet? I'm looking to buy one off Craigslist. It's a basic 10lb tank that is only a few months old. Is there anything I should be looking at before I buy? What are your thoughts on the Powertank in general? Should I consider a compressor instead?

Thanks
Sponsored

SouthTexasJLU

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
To each his own. I have several trucks/toys and on board air isn't something I want on all of them. So I have a Power Tank, I can throw it in whatever I'm taking and have air. I will be installing on board air on the JL at some point.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Smitty-built tank system and it works okay.

Doing the 4th tire, it gets REALLY cold, but airs it up quickly.

Got it for a great price as well.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Hey Fellas,

Do any of you have a PowerTank yet? I'm looking to buy one off Craigslist. It's a basic 10lb tank that is only a few months old. Is there anything I should be looking at before I buy? What are your thoughts on the Powertank in general? Should I consider a compressor instead?

Thanks
Would love to hear more input also

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Hey Fellas,

Thanks
I've got a 10lb CO2, though it's not specifically a PowerTank that I got in a trade for a soft top years ago. On the whole I like it, though admittedly CO2 systems have pro's and con's. On the plus side, you've got one system that can both air up your tires quickly and run an impact gun so if you need to change a tire or work on your vehicle that's a plus. The down side is that it takes up a fair amount of space and only offers a finite amount of air. For a weekend trip where you may only be airing up once, not a big deal. If you're doing an extended trip where you may need to air up many times, that could prove an issue. Then you have to deal with finding a place that can refill the the bottle and the ongoing cost of refilling it once it's empty. For me, I found a semi-local place that services fire extinguishers to refill it for around $15-$20. The other thing to consider, though I think it's supposed to be less of an issue with the PowerTank kit is the regulator freezing up. The issue can be somewhat mitigated by not cranking the valve and regulator all the way to the max.

If you can pick up the system at an affordable price I'd say it' a win and go for it. If it's still pretty expensive, maybe rethink it.

Of all the portable air solutions I have (Portable ARB Dual kit, Cramer Decker 10lb CO2, fixed ARB single compressor and Slime compressor) my Cramer Decker CO2 is probably my second favorite after my Portable ARB dual kit.
Sponsored