Sponsored

Finally fixed my death wobble!!

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That's why I think this issue is tricky. Maybe it was just my set but my factory ball joints didn't show signs of wear based on the normal ways we look for looseness or play. I feel stupid now after going through all this pain when a few hundred bucks and a few hours would've solved my problem.
Similar issue here. Metalcloak 2.5" lift is where it all started. Just a minor nibble between 40 and 50 mph on stock wheels and tires, not any better on 37's and beadlocks. Installed a Rusty's brace and all Metalcloak steering and no change. Eventually I started getting straight up death wobble. Replaced the ball joints and I've been mostly happy ever since. The stock ones passed the crowbar test and didn't feel particularly loose when I yanked them out, but the crappy stock ball joints were the issue for sure.
Sponsored

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Do you get the forum discount in addition to the sale price?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had DW on my 15 JK after lifting it and putting on 35s. A shop I know and trust recommended starting with upgrading to a HD steering stabilizer and next trying an adjustable track bar. They looked at the ball joints but said they were still in spec and didn't think that was it.

I tried an interesting experiment though. I had 2 people I know use "Remote Viewing" (the pen and paper method that the military trained people in to be psychic spies) to see if they could diagnose the root cause of my issue. These two people had no idea what they were being tasked to "view". Their sketches strongly resembled the ball joints and their accompanying castle nuts.

Despite my trusted shop telling me they thought the ball joints were good I decided to pursue the RV data and try replacing the ball joints. I told them that if that didn't work we could try their suggestions. I got a set of synergy HD ball joints and the shop did the work. No other changes were made. Low and behold, it worked.

Yeah, I know this probably sounds weird to a lot of folks but I know people with all kinds of interesting backgrounds. It was kind of cool to use people trained in US government psychic spy techniques to diagnose my Jeep's DW and actually have it work. Perhaps I can start a new automotive root causing business around this concept... Anyway, thanks for reading. Cheers!

OP
OP
DexterJeeper

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I had DW on my 15 JK after lifting it and putting on 35s. A shop I know and trust recommended starting with upgrading to a HD steering stabilizer and next trying an adjustable track bar. They looked at the ball joints but said they were still in spec and didn't think that was it.

I tried an interesting experiment though. I had 2 people I know use "Remote Viewing" (the pen and paper method that the military trained people in to be psychic spies) to see if they could diagnose the root cause of my issue. These two people had no idea what they were being tasked to "view". Their sketches strongly resembled the ball joints and their accompanying castle nuts.

Despite my trusted shop telling me they thought the ball joints were good I decided to pursue the RV data and try replacing the ball joints. I told them that if that didn't work we could try their suggestions. I got a set of synergy HD ball joints and the shop did the work. No other changes were made. Low and behold, it worked.

Yeah, I know this probably sounds weird to a lot of folks but I know people with all kinds of interesting backgrounds. It was kind of cool to use people trained in US government psychic spy techniques to diagnose my Jeep's DW and actually have it work. Perhaps I can start a new automotive root causing business around this concept... Anyway, thanks for reading. Cheers!
@SecretAgentMan, that's definitely the most interesting story on how to solve DW issues I've ever seen! Almost like you hired the precog's from Minority Report for Jeep related issues! Glad it worked out for you and thank you for sharing!

OP
OP
DexterJeeper

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you get the forum discount in addition to the sale price?
If you're referring to the ball joints, I believe it's just a black friday sale that @Northridge4x4 is running. I actually missed it by a week myself. There's a pretty old thread talking about their forum discounts that you may want to try on top?

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@SecretAgentMan, that's definitely the most interesting story on how to solve DW issues I've ever seen! Almost like you hired the precog's from Minority Report for Jeep related issues! Glad it worked out for you and thank you for sharing!
Thanks, and I do like that movie. The real thing is much less sensational though as it just involves sitting down at a desk or table with a stack of paper, writing down a set of encrypted coordinates, and you start describing/sketching what pops into your head. It's incredibly interesting how this has all been declassified since 1995 and yet remains one of the best kept secrets. The coolest thing is that anyone can learn to do it.

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
Good stuff, thanks for the detailed write up!

I'm also posting this here so I can easily reference it in the future, if needed :)

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Hulk has picked up DW. I'm self-diagnosing as the ball joints, as I'm hearing an occasional clicking when turning the wheel as well. It went from a bit of shimmy to full-on near loss of control in a couple of weeks that I noticed.

Taking it to the dealership to see if warranty will cover it, and if they will let me cover the difference between stock parts and third party. If not, it goes into my local 4x4 shop, and I'll get the joints, track, drag, tierod and knuckles done simultaneously.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
What front trackbar are you using?

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

What front trackbar are you using?
Right now, stock. If I get it swapped, I'll get Teraflex joints and an adjustable trackbar, the RPM steering kit (tierod and drag link), and maybe reid knuckles at the same time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
OP, I would love to hear an update one year later. Still no DW?

OP
OP
DexterJeeper

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I would love to hear an update one year later. Still no DW?
Still drives completely solid! I'm at 65k miles now and there's zero hint of a shimmy or wobble. Hitting expansion joints and pot holes are not things I worry about anymore.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Right now, stock. If I get it swapped, I'll get Teraflex joints and an adjustable trackbar, the RPM steering kit (tierod and drag link), and maybe reid knuckles at the same time.
Hopefully they cover you though I don't have much hope for me with my aftermarket track bars, controls arms, steering stab etc.

The few times I've experienced it was a failed aftermarket trackbar (or tire issues) on prob 5 HD trucks and 2 jeeps. I swapped to a different manufacturer trackbar and added an aftermarket trackbar bolt with a wider/tighter fit shoulder then torqued it to gorilla spec lol. That solved it.

I've had shops check my frontend when it got the gears swapped and have a guy who changes my trans/transfer case fluid due the messy job I don't feel like doing in the driveway. They all said my balljoints and the steering linkage is tight, no issue. It's the trackbar bushings every time. I guess the trackbar bushings take most of the abuse up there in front keeping the axle in check. I've been through 3 in 50k miles. They just seem to fail with the 37'' tires and stiff shock damping.

I'm now using a rock jock johnny joint TB so hopefully it lasts a little longer than the flex/soft type joints.

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
Thank you OP. Not sure the quote is working??

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
hello I'm Italian and I use the translator to read you I can't understand what you changed to solve the vibration can you send me a forum thanks
You posted your reply in the wrong part of the quote.
Sponsored