Sponsored

Fiat Diesel, lol don't do it.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Unfortunately it looks like the EPA is putting a hard stop for aftermarket to sell tunes and kits to delete emissions on diesels. PDI was already heavily fined (link below) and I have heard that GDE will no longer sell tunes to bypass emissions...The primary reason I was looking to buy a diesel was the potential power/reliability/mpg obtained by removing emissions and adding a tune. I'm a diesel nut but I don't think I will bite the bullet on it now...sucks because I have been wanting a diesel Wrangler for years. I will wait to see how everything plays out now.

Cheers

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw25Mw200l0KwYGxaA38CIA-&cshid=1573055125074
Ever heard of America’s hat?
Sponsored

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
America's hat has more tp loose as if they run afoul of the EPA it won't be as gentle as they treat American companies. Notice with PDI the fine was limited and spread across a couple years due to ability to pay.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
America's hat has more tp loose as if they run afoul of the EPA it won't be as gentle as they treat American companies. Notice with PDI the fine was limited and spread across a couple years due to ability to pay.
Luckily the EPA has no jurisdiction outside the US so until the CEPA does something similar it sounds like a potential option. Sounds like a weekend road trip if I get the diesel ;-)

Cheers

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Luckily the EPA has no jurisdiction outside the US so until the CEPA does something similar it sounds like a potential option. Sounds like a weekend road trip if I get the diesel ;-)

Cheers
The EPA can and does put significant pressure on CEPA to follow their lead and can also ban import of products known to be cheat/defeat products. The Audi diesel gate was interesting to watch play out as Canadians got royally screwed as they didn't have legal recourse.

Always worth giving it a shot, and as you mention a road trip to Vancouver to smoke some legal weed and visit a tuner is the best bet versus trying to ship it across :LOL:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The EPA can and does put significant pressure on CEPA to follow their lead and can also ban import of products known to be cheat/defeat products. The Audi diesel gate was interesting to watch play out as Canadians got royally screwed as they didn't have legal recourse.

Always worth giving it a shot, and as you mention a road trip to Vancouver to smoke some legal weed and visit a tuner is the best bet versus trying to ship it across :LOL:
Or just ship the ECU.

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
98,000 miles on our Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee, and it has been absolutely faultless. Also, the diesel in here is NOT a FIAT diesel.
Glad to hear! Just ordered a loaded up Ram 1500 Limited diesel today. Trading my SRT Grand Cherokee for it!

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not gonna work. I spoke to GDE....unless you REGISTER your vehicle in Canada, they are not selling you anything.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not gonna work. I spoke to GDE....unless you REGISTER your vehicle in Canada, they are not selling you anything.
I can just about guarantee that most of their tuners will take an ECU from the mail and modify it.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
98,000 miles on our Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee, and it has been absolutely faultless. Also, the diesel in here is NOT a FIAT diesel.
Our '16 EcoDiesel GC has been stellar as well. It's the reason I ditched my JKUR for a JLUR EcoDiesel. I know some folks had issues with them, so I'm not saying they're perfect. But for me, the EcoDiesel is tried and true.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The issue with tuning is, I won't trust some dude in a basement programming ECUs on his spare time to mess with my $60,000 vehicle, and companies that KNOW what they are doing, like Green Diesel, won't touch a USA vehicle. So yes, Im sure you CAN get a tune for your diesel, but IMHO, it wont be from a company you WANT.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue with tuning is, I won't trust some dude in a basement programming ECUs on his spare time to mess with my $60,000 vehicle, and companies that KNOW what they are doing, like Green Diesel, won't touch a USA vehicle. So yes, Im sure you CAN get a tune for your diesel, but IMHO, it wont be from a company you WANT.
At a minimum, companies like Banks will be creating EPA compliant tunes that get rid of lag and add power/torque. If the Canadian garage tuners do enough volume with reliable success, I’m sure people will warm up to the idea of flashing the ECU on a $60,000 rig.
Sponsored