Sponsored

FCA Merger effect on Jeep?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I've always tried to buy "American" vehicles, but the reality for quite a few years is that no company is truly only American anymore. What would be the closest? Ford? GM? Honestly I don't know. But car companies have done so many acquisitions and so many collaborations and parts come from all over the world, that it's really been mostly nominal to say " I only buy American cars" for quite some time now.

So, the FCA merger again just is what it is. Another merger that, hopefully, will raise quality and customer service while keeping as much of the DNA for jeep as possible.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
1610029259517.jpeg

New Bronco vs Old Bronco

1610029371274.jpeg

Bronco Sport

Clearer for you @calemasters?

How about now?
1610029874521.jpeg

1610029909707.jpeg
The Bronco Sport is based on the Ford Escape. I do not consider the Bronco Sport a "Bronco". Also the Jeep Renegade is based on the Fiat 500x platform. I do not consider the Renegade a "Jeep". A Fiat, maybe. And while I am on the subject of names, I do not consider the Mustang Mach-E a Mustang. However, it is a very nice electric SUV. And the Ford Mustang II was never a Mustang. It was more of a Pinto.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I've always tried to buy "American" vehicles, but the reality for quite a few years is that no company is truly only American anymore. What would be the closest? Ford? GM? Honestly I don't know. But car companies have done so many acquisitions and so many collaborations and parts come from all over the world, that it's really been mostly nominal to say " I only buy American cars" for quite some time now.

So, the FCA merger again just is what it is. Another merger that, hopefully, will raise quality and customer service while keeping as much of the DNA for jeep as possible.
https://www.cars.com/american-made-index/

OP
OP
bullfrog3459

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
6 months for a RHD? Seriously? That is just absurd. In that case, hoping this India move helps out the folks living in the Commonwealth or wherever they drive on the left side of the road. Sorry, I did not know that a RHD Jeep has a lead time that long!
I will have to defer to our RHD vehicle owners, but my understanding is yes ... the lead times are horrid. They are only sent partially assembled from the Toledo factory, shipped over to where they are going, and then assembled by a third party, then delivered to the dealer, and subsequently to the customer. Not only is the quality not the greatest since it left Toledo, but then you have a third party assembling the unit and you lose quality there as well.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

Believe it or not but I think the most "American" cars these days are Nissans. They build in TN and tend to source most components from within the US. Our Jeeps are not very American. Your transmission can be from Aisin if it is a Manual (Japan) or German (the 8 speed). The engine can be Mexican (Pentastar) or Italian (Turbo 4 and Ecodiesel).

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I've always tried to buy "American" vehicles, but the reality for quite a few years is that no company is truly only American anymore
Same boat. So I try to buy the things that employ the most Americans. That was a huge benefit to buying Jeep, vs buying a Camry which would have been more practical and employs thousands of my fellow Kentuckians, or Ford which employs hundreds of people in my city, but ultimately Jeep won.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
i would rather see Mahindra get involved that Tata. Mahindra has Jeep experience, albeit under Willys, and has built them for decades. Look what Tata has done with Range Rover/Land Rover. The new Defender is really just a somewhat ruggedized crossover based on a Jag platform.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I’ll offer this note of encouragement. When I bought my first two new Jeeps, a six cylinder CJ-7 in 1977 and an 8 cylinder CJ-7 in 1980, Jeep was owned by AMC, an awkward amalgamation of two loser car companies (Nash, Hudson). The company was a complete sh1tshow, responsible for some of the fugliest cars ever made. (Google AMC “Pacer” and “Gremlin” for two examples of fugly) And yet, through it all, including subsequent mergers with other loser car companies, like Renault, Jeeps CJs and Wranglers retained their identity and remained functional and fun.

I think the coming partnerships look much better than the old ones we survived. (Not a high bar to meet!) :CWL:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, I don't know if they will ever really change the look of the wrangler too much. It's gonna be the guts and electrification for the next model that will really be interesting to see how they handle.

My plan is to just wait and see but be ready to buy a new JL right before the next model if things are looking weird lol

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Carlos Tavares, head of PSA and CEO-elect of Stellantis, brings a stellar résumé. He turned around money-losing PSA in record time. He then took over money-losing Opel-Vauxhall from GM and had them turning a profit within months, something GM was unable to do for 20 years.

FCA is profitable but has many issues: 70% to 75% of global profits come from North America, namely Jeep and Ram; Fiat USA is an embarrassment; Chrysler and Lancia are almost dead and Dodge keeps losing significant market share; the Alfa Romeo relaunch stalled; CDJRF reliability and customer service remain at the bottom of the industry; FCA lags behind the competition in electrification, etc., etc.

Tavares turned around PSA by focusing on quality and customer service, and these are the areas where FCA lags.

PSA has been plotting a return to N.A. since 2015. My guess is Chrysler and Dodge provide an easier and cheaper path to the N.A. market without the time and expense of bringing Peugeot back.
I hope Peugeot has become a little more worldly with its big picture. It hasn’t sold cars in the US since the 1980s. It’s main product then was the 505 which was a nice, conventional sedan, but still didn’t sell. French cars, being interesting and a tad odd (see 1960s Citroen sedans) have never done well in the US. Now you have pretty much polar opposites in cultures—Peugeot and Jeep)—coming under one roof. I’d guess the French don’t really understand what Jeep’s all about, so I just hope they leave it alone, as others have done. Or they get up to speed for their inherited, very successful product, and still leave it alone.