Extra Key FOB - Proximity Key

Djeman2569

First Name
JLU S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
The key is a bit massive in size. In my infiniti the keys very small and still has the same functions.

I'm wondering if there is an after market key fob that is ONLY for proximity entry and start. I've seen these small tabs but wonder if they can be programmed for the key-less entry

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/keyfob-tag-17104752791.html

Anyone know of something tiny that can act as your "key" for the proximity entry and remote start?
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The key is a bit massive in size. In my infiniti the keys very small and still has the same functions.

I'm wondering if there is an after market key fob that is ONLY for proximity entry and start. I've seen these small tabs but wonder if they can be programmed for the key-less entry

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/keyfob-tag-17104752791.html

Anyone know of something tiny that can act as your "key" for the proximity entry and remote start?
So I’m not a computer/electronics engineer, but from what I’ve read most remote start fobs work on a frequency of 315 MHz. These fobs (at least the ones in you link) only work on two frequencies and neither one is 315 MHz. Now if you could find one of these with the right frequency, the other problem would be that these types of fobs can only be read at really close ranges. So in order to unlock your doors you would have to hold it right up to the sensor. And then to start the Jeep, you would have to use it like you use your OEM fob when the battery is dead.

And finally...do you really want someone to be able to steal your Jeep with one of these? If I did the conversion right, each one of these costs 30 cents. At that price thieves could buy hundreds of them and take a brute force approach with each one programmed with a different code.

But again...I only understand the basics of this stuff...so I could be way off the mark.

OP
OP

Djeman2569

First Name
JLU S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
So I’m not a computer/electronics engineer, but from what I’ve read most remote start fobs work on a frequency of 315 MHz. These fobs (at least the ones in you link) only work on two frequencies and neither one is 315 MHz. Now if you could find one of these with the right frequency, the other problem would be that these types of fobs can only be read at really close ranges. So in order to unlock your doors you would have to hold it right up to the sensor. And then to start the Jeep, you would have to use it like you use your OEM fob when the battery is dead.

And finally...do you really want someone to be able to steal your Jeep with one of these? If I did the conversion right, each one of these costs 30 cents. At that price thieves could buy hundreds of them and take a brute force approach with each one programmed with a different code.

But again...I only understand the basics of this stuff...so I could be way off the mark.
So you're right about the brute force approach ...and thats why a lot of little dont like the system at all.

But what does that have to do with me getting an extra key? Just because I have single chip keys doesn't effect soneone trying to brute force my proxy key.

Anyway, thanks for that info, made it easier to pinpoint .what in looking for

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So you're right about the brute force approach ...and thats why a lot of little dont like the system at all.

But what does that have to do with me getting an extra key? Just because I have single chip keys doesn't effect soneone trying to brute force my proxy key.

Anyway, thanks for that info, made it easier to pinpoint .what in looking for
I didn’t mean to say that one of these wouldn’t make a great extra key...I was just trying to point out that the OEM fobs are expensive and these little fobs are dirt cheap and so I feel that if these would work, it would make it easier/cheaper for thieves. (And yes...I know thieves now can use a laptop and transmitter so maybe they wouldn’t bother with these) But you are welcome...and if you find something that’ll work, please keep us updated!

OP
OP

Djeman2569

First Name
JLU S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
I didn’t mean to say that one of these wouldn’t make a great extra key...I was just trying to point out that the OEM fobs are expensive and these little fobs are dirt cheap and so I feel that if these would work, it would make it easier/cheaper for thieves. (And yes...I know thieves now can use a laptop and transmitter so maybe they wouldn’t bother with these) But you are welcome...and if you find something that’ll work, please keep us updated!

Right, I see what you're saying.

I'll solve this one. That brick of a key is just way too big if you want to go on a hike or festival. On my GMC I can unlock the doors from my phone through satellite so I always lock my key in the car. I ordered my JL so I wont have it for another month or so but do you know if you can unlock it through Uconnect via phone?

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I ordered my JL so I wont have it for another month or so but do you know if you can unlock it through Uconnect via phone?
I only have the 7” screen in mine so I’m not 100% positive, but I believe you can if you have the 8.4” screen. I remember reading that somewhere.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase

I'll solve this one. That brick of a key is just way too big if you want to go on a hike or festival. On my GMC I can unlock the doors from my phone through satellite so I always lock my key in the car. I ordered my JL so I wont have it for another month or so but do you know if you can unlock it through Uconnect via phone?
I have the 8.4 screen, not sure if that is a qualifier, but yes, I can unlock it remotely from my phone with Uconnect. As long as there is a cell signal!

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito

Yes, but the app is mediocre at best. A lot of times, it doesn't work and when it does work, it takes 30-60 seconds to get the car to react.

OP
OP

Djeman2569

First Name
JLU S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
Yes, but the app is mediocre at best. A lot of times, it doesn't work and when it does work, it takes 30-60 seconds to get the car to react.
Yeah, I don't like the feel of having a key with me. Especially if there's no need to use it (touch start, proximity entry). There's really no need to have something in your pocket.

If it takes 30-60 seconds to work then it's not a good everyday thing but if you use it for special events like festivals and races, it's a great addition.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Djeman2569

First Name
JLU S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu

Bet2018JL

First Name
Bethany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Can this feature not be added to the Jeep? I have push start & fob entry already on my Jeep.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Can this feature not be added to the Jeep? I have push start & fob entry already on my Jeep.
Good question. I do know the door handles are different and that lock button comes in handy.

Bet2018JL

First Name
Bethany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Good question. I do know the door handles are different and that lock button comes in handy.
I was told by my Jeep dealership’s parts dept that the door handles for the proximity entry are $180 each. Thinking I’d need 3 in total. One for each driver door and one for the back tailgate. That is $540. The actual proximity entry package is only $495 but I didn’t special order my Jeep so it’s an extra $45 so no biggie. I was then transferred to
service dept for a price to actually add the door handles to my Jeep & wire it. I was then told that it would cost $15,000 to $20,000 to add this feature due to the fact that my Jeep would have to be rewired to add the feature!!! Really hoping someone finds an alternative. My salesman told me I could have the feature added later but unfortunately, he told me wrong. Very disappointing!

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by my Jeep dealership’s parts dept that the door handles for the proximity entry are $180 each. Thinking I’d need 3 in total. One for each driver door and one for the back tailgate. That is $540. The actual proximity entry package is only $495 but I didn’t special order my Jeep so it’s an extra $45 so no biggie. I was then transferred to
service dept for a price to actually add the door handles to my Jeep & wire it. I was then told that it would cost $15,000 to $20,000 to add this feature due to the fact that my Jeep would have to be rewired to add the feature!!! Really hoping someone finds an alternative. My salesman told me I could have the feature added later but unfortunately, he told me wrong. Very disappointing!
Dealer = no clue.

The actual price for the door handle is $90 for the tail gate and $86 for each front. MSRP is like just $130 or something. You also need replace the "cap" - the part that remains stationary when you pull the handle. This is an $8 part. $24 total. So, $286 for the handles plus shipping. At least one reputable on line parts dealer offers free shipping.

Rear Handle (All Mopar Parts)

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem...4JnQ9dW5saW1pdGVkLXNhaGFyYSZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz

Front Handle

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem...4JnQ9dW5saW1pdGVkLXNhaGFyYSZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz

The tailgate requires a jumper harness. This is $12. $298 total. From my research the front doors already have the required wiring. The existing jumper plugs the camera, power lock and rear center brake light to the main tailgate harness. This jumper includes the connection for the passive handle.

There are Five (5) low frequency antennas required for operation. These, along with the door handles, talk to the RFH module. My JL - an Unlimited Sahara already has the LF antennas in place and they are wired to the RFH module. RFH module is behind rear quarter (tailgate area) trim panel, driver side. LF Antennas are located in B-pillars, behind dash, near radio, and in rear quarter area left, and right. They are wired to the RFH module already (on my JL). Most of this I confirmed with the Chrysler Tech-Authority (online service manual).

I ordered the rear handle pieces and jumper to see what/ if I can make this work. This set me back just under $100. They appear to be available in the parts system, and I should have them in the next few days.

I do believe, similar to a DIY AUX wire install, the uconnect settings that control this will need to be enabled. This might be something the Tazer JL will add in future updates. An understanding dealer might do this, maybe. Swapping out the handles is a DIY job. Door panels do NOT need to be removed for this. They just need to be open, and there are access ports to turn torx set screws that release the handles. Connecting the jumper (at least for the tailgate) requires removing the trim panel. Also a DIY job. Removing the door panels is not that big of a deal either. Truly for a dealer to do this, this would be under 1 hour labor for the manual part, and whatever they charge for the enablement ("flashing") of your Uconnect system. If you have a Sport, or Sport S their may be additional wiring that would make it cost prohibitive. Probably not $15-$20K cost prohibative, more like $2K, most of which would be labor. But honestly, I cannot see any dealer doing this. Also, the LF antennas, if they were needed, were not that expensive either. $30 or so if I recall.

If you have a key fob and push-button start, your fobs are already programmed and readable by the RFH module. The challenge/response is the same for the push-button start as it would be for the doors. The door handles only send capacitive signals (Unlock, grab handle) or button push (lock) signals to the RFH module. RFH module then looks for a fob nearby via an LF transmission from LF antennas. If a valid (registered) key fob is within the allowed range, fob will respond to challenge, RFH will tell BCM to unlock/lock doors. Like I said, key fobs are already programmed to RFH module, some Jeeps (at least mine is) are pre-wired. All that's left is enabling the feature.

I've posted this all in another thread. I may be wrong, but at this point this is not a $15000-$20000 option. The only real issue is whether or not the feature can be easily enabled. And I would argue it CAN be easily enabled, just find someone willing to do it. Or wait for Tazer update.

Once I have the rear handle installed, I'll post my findings. There certainly could be something I'm missing, but I've read most of the material in the service manual on this
Sponsored