Key Fob Proximity Unlock

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
I like and use the hitch safe. I had it on my RV for a couple years and am moving it to my Jeep. The ginormous Jeep fob does fit inside, but with little room to spare i.e. other keys / rings / cc's don't fit inside with the fob. Do whatever fits your needs, of course.
Sponsored

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
I like and use the hitch safe. I had it on my RV for a couple years and am moving it to my Jeep. The ginormous Jeep fob does fit inside, but with little room to spare i.e. other keys / rings / cc's don't fit inside with the fob. Do whatever fits your needs, of course.
If you put the fob in a hitch safe, what's to keep someone from walking up, pulling on the rear handle and opening the Jeep?

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you put the fob in a hitch safe, what's to keep someone from walking up, pulling on the rear handle and opening the Jeep?
Check out post #14 in this thread. . . it prevents the action you describe.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully you remember to do that action!
You're right! It's kind of unique occurrence for me, so I think it will trigger my memory to change that setting. While I haven't used the hitch safe a ton, the times I did use it I found it quite handy. You asked the right questions, glad you brought it up.

Edit: I had not yet put the hitch safe in the Jeep, so these posts reminded me to do it. Curious about the proximity aspect, I put the fob in the safe, closed it up and. . . nope, the proximity feature did not work; I tried the gate and both doors. Removed fob from the safe and the proximity worked again. Repeated a couple times just to make sure, but it appears the thick steel of the hitch receiver blocks the signal (Faraday-grade steel? :fingerscrossed:). I'll still probably turn off the proximity anyway when I use it, but this was good exercise to see how it would behave. Maybe others can try it to see if they get the same results.

Last edited:

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
You're right! It's kind of unique occurrence for me, so I think it will trigger my memory to change that setting. While I haven't used the hitch safe a ton, the times I did use it I found it quite handy. You asked the right questions, glad you brought it up.

Edit: I had not yet put the hitch safe in the Jeep, so these posts reminded me to do it. Curious about the proximity aspect, I put the fob in the safe, closed it up and. . . nope, the proximity feature did not work; I tried the gate and both doors. Removed fob from the safe and the proximity worked again. Repeated a couple times just to make sure, but it appears the thick steel of the hitch receiver blocks the signal (Faraday-grade steel? :fingerscrossed:). I'll still probably turn off the proximity anyway when I use it, but this was good exercise to see how it would behave. Maybe others can try it to see if they get the same results.
I did the same thing in response to a similar thread a while back. When fob was in the receiver, I could not unlock the rear by grabbing the handle. As soon as I took the fob out and held it just outside the receiver the door unlocked fine.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
@jimmyzwheelz

A lot of guys/gals are swimmers, divers, bicyclists skydivers, joggers/runners, nudists,have etc... Such active people prefer not to or can't carry a Fob.
So i guess they go and hiking without a phone and if they get hurt hiking where they cant walk what do they do ? i know people who have broken their leg mountain biking and luck they had a friend with them and cell phone or they would have been in trouble. some bike trails here in Texas you can go 25 miles in one direction around Lake Grapevine and you better have a friend and a cell phone because you are so far in there its a long ways for someone to find you if no one else is around you on that day. I would NEVER go biking or hiking without a cell phone even if i have a friend with me. you could bleed to death if t was a bad wreck. why take the chance just because its a little uncomfortable

OP
OP
shannond12

shannond12

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
So i guess they go and hiking without a phone and if they get hurt hiking where they cant walk what do they do ? i know people who have broken their leg mountain biking and luck they had a friend with them and cell phone or they would have been in trouble. some bike trails here in Texas you can go 25 miles in one direction around Lake Grapevine and you better have a friend and a cell phone because you are so far in there its a long ways for someone to find you if no one else is around you on that day. I would NEVER go biking or hiking without a cell phone even if i have a friend with me. you could bleed to death if t was a bad wreck. why take the chance just because its a little uncomfortable
Primarily for watersports - swimming, surfing etc., but plenty of times I felt better by locking the key in truck (Raptor) and using keypad to open when returning from hiking or cycling. One less thing to worry about losing on the trail. Still carried my phone on terrestrial ventures.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jammer

We are talking leaving the fob for the JL stashed in the JL.

No one, to include myself said anything about leaving their cellphone in the JL and not taking it with them while hiking, biking and such.

Again, we are talking fob in this thread..

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one that the government put a tracking chip in when I was born? :captain:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Am I the only one that the government put a tracking chip in when I was born? :captain:
No, you’re just one of the few that knows about it.
Sponsored