Exploring North Carolina

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you are interested in the chat group where we plan outings in/around NC just message me. Include your full name and cell phone number and I will get you added. Really good group of guys/gals. All experience levels welcome.
Messaging you now, thanks.
Sponsored

zeroquanta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
I already added 315/70/17 BFG KO2's to the stock wheels and got a Tazer Mini to correct the speedometer and tweak a few other things.

I have a set of Bronze Venomrex VR-501's on order, as well as a 2.5" lift. Looks like you're running the same wheels? Hopefully they will be here in the next week or so. I went with Rough Country spacers because they're cheap and I'm not sure if I want to stick with 35's or go to 37's. But I ordered a Steer Smarts front adjustable trackbar, a rear trackbar relocation bracket, and a set of longer Mopar lower control arms. So even though it's just a cheap spacer lift it should drive and steer pretty well.

I plan to change the front bumper and add some side steps. I'm fine with getting in but the kids were struggling at stock height, so I don't know if they can get in/out when it's lifted on 35's. I guess I'll wait and see, but I have a feeling my next mod will be side steps šŸ˜…
Sounds like we have similar taste, yup those are the wheels that I am running. Absolutely love them! Finally got them in last month. I will also be doing a spacer lift for now, was going to buy synergy lower control arms to match my trackbar/brace. Ultimately I want the lowest lift possible to still clear my 35's. Low cog and biggest tire appearance being the goals.

No kiddos for us yet, though we have gotten a kick out of putting my niece and nephew in the jeep for mini road trips. They love it with the roof and doors off. They also get a kick out of climbing into the jeep, no help is accepted. We took my niece up to stone mountain a few weeks ago. I never knew how hard it was to keep a child interested in the hike. She just turned 3 so most of the hike she was just super interested in the stairs, the ice and whatever she could pick up. Pretty much zero interest in actually moving on the trail. We had a great time though.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@SG19JLUR
There are many hikes in the Wilsons Creek area and the Blueridge Trail area that are relatively easy but fun and great for kids

A couple of my favorite family hikes
Wilsons Creek Area: Harpers Creek, 1.5 miles each way, triple falls at the end
Colletsville Area: Woodruff Ridge 1 mile each way, hike along a small creek with lots of water falls

Blueridge Parkway:
  • Beacon Ridge. ~0.2 miles each way, great views of Grandfather & Grandmother Mnt. Also, behind the view of GM Mnt, are some really cool rock formations for the kids to climb on.
  • Ruff Ridge Trail. ~0.4 miles each way, great views of GF mnt and the valleys below
  • Price Park Lake: ~2.5 mile hike around the lake.
  • Julian Price Park: Lots of picnic tables next to a creek. Follow the creek to Hebron Falls, which is a series of waterfalls that the kids get to jump from rock to rock.
Saturday it was raining, which is a perfect day to go exploring the fire roads above Colletsville that go up to the Parkway.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina Water Fall

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina WoodRuff Ridge.Parking Area

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Was driving around on the fire roads near Grandfather Mnt and the Parkway. Found this little spot to get some mud on tires and an opportunity to climb this incline.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina JLR Climbin

To prove that video and pictures never do justice to climbs, this is what the dash says the climb was.
Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina Climb Rate

Looks as if I need to come back to this area with portable pressure washer and clean off the graffiti. Anyone like to go exploring fire roads and help me clean up this area?

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
This time of year, the Parkway is often closed. Today, the section with the Viaduct was closed. Normally, pedestrians are not allowed on the Viaduct. However, since there were no cars, there were people hiking the Viaduct. Our new dog Misty, who's a two year old cattle dog rescue, had a blast.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina ViaDuct Mysty
Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina Viaduct Do

Misty is an amazing hiker and climber. Never seems to get tired either. Really likes to ride shotgun in the Jeep too.

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Last week, I took the kiddos to Hanging Rock State Park and we hiked Mooreā€™s Wall Loop. We hiked it counterclockwise - which I donā€™t recommend as the ascent is much steeper. Regardless, we made the 4.7 mile loop and had a blast doing it.

E7B2591C-A370-4A39-A2B5-6542CE4B1EBA.jpeg

C20A0D61-C0DC-49AF-8505-7027E280E591.jpeg

18693BF5-7767-4751-8523-48ECE5B6DCE6.jpeg

4E5B8989-1918-491B-931E-B919C7867792.jpeg

34AA20DD-4666-4852-A65B-69F655B75FCB.jpeg
I live in this area and hiked these trails on Hanging Rock for over 30 years. Something most people don't know is that there are old native American trail markers in plain sight. But you have to know what to look for. I'm far from an expert, but they are there.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@Carolina Jeeper

Great to see the kids out hiking and enjoying the outdoors.
When our son would ask, how come we were hiking, biking, climbing, skiing, etc., we would respond because you are going to have fun whether you like it or not.
Now he's a champion snow skier and water skier at Chapel Hill and likes to drive the JLR off road too.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Was driving around on the fire roads near Grandfather Mnt and the Parkway. Found this little spot to get some mud on tires and an opportunity to climb this incline.

To prove that video and pictures never do justice to climbs, this is what the dash says the climb was.

Looks as if I need to come back to this area with portable pressure washer and clean off the graffiti. Anyone like to go exploring fire roads and help me clean up this area?
I don't have a portable pressure washer but I'd tag along. Always up for doing some good. I think I would just need some sort of water resource to hook to my washer

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
In the Wilson Creek NC area, there is a really cool road/trail off called Old House Gap Road near the Gragg Prong Creek

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina IMG_5360.JPG

Best to have at least 32's, but most stock JL's can make it (e.g., the white stock JK shown below). Stock Rubicons, no problems.

JLs with 37's, skids, trusses, winches, lockers, etc., way over kill (kind of like going to the drag strip with too much Hp :D)

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina IMG_5367.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina IMG_5370.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina IMG_5376.JPG

I was lucky enough to have found this at the end of June, just before they closed the road for repairs, as shown in the link below:

https://wataugaonline.com/grandfather-rd-old-house-gap-rd-fs192-closed-starting-6-28/

Hopefully, the trail will be opened back this fall.
Anyone up for checking out this trail in the fall?

Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Update on OHGR:

It appears that the work to Old House Gap Road (OHGR) was completed this fall.
However, the road has not been reopened and there are gates on both ends.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina OHGR

Rumor has it, the road may never be reopened.
Would like to get a bunch of people together and appeal to the Forest Service to reopen the road.
This is one of the best trails in NC were basically any Jeep Wrangler can have some off road fun.

Last edited:

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
Looks like it will be topless weather this weekend, looks like a beach day is in the cards, sat. I tried to start conversation to thirtyone, but apparently Iā€™m not doing something right . Let me know if anyone interested or pm me for my info to add to the groupme Iā€™m interested.

haligen

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Rubicon
So it looks like nothing interesting is going on in SC, mind if I jump in here for a bit? Uwharrie opens April 1st I think. Anyone making a run?

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
So it looks like nothing interesting is going on in SC, mind if I jump in here for a bit? Uwharrie opens April 1st I think. Anyone making a run?
You donā€™t need to be from NC to be on hereā€¦ @mgroeger comes on from UT (still) :giggle:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I drop in from time to time, to get my DIY fix from @chevymitchell or see what @Sean L is up to, or what @conFUcius and @mgroeger are arguing about, those two are hilariousā€¦ā€¦. šŸ¤£
Sponsored