Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I had introduced myself a few pages back, when we tried to move out to the ~Asheville outskirts a little over a year ago. Didn't pan out, bought a house in Texas.

Fast forward to today, one of the companies that my wife had applied to back then called her back and has a new opening, and well, she got the offer today. We need to be in Asheville by May 26th.

So, see y'all on the road soon?
Well looks like we'll need to drag you out to URE this summer...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'm In the Charlotte now but grew up and lived most of my life in the Asheville area. Have you found a house in NC?
Nope. We spent a frustrating 6 months in 2022 house hunting - flew up there 3 different times, physically walked through ~60+ homes.

This time around, we've got to get up there quick - her first day is June 3 - so we're planning to rent for the first year. It'll be MUCH easier to house-hunt when we're local anyways.

I really loved Leicester, but we'll probably wind up on the east side, Swannanoa, Black Mountain, etc, or slightly south.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Nope. We spent a frustrating 6 months in 2022 house hunting - flew up there 3 different times, physically walked through ~60+ homes.

This time around, we've got to get up there quick - her first day is June 3 - so we're planning to rent for the first year. It'll be MUCH easier to house-hunt when we're local anyways.

I really loved Leicester, but we'll probably wind up on the east side, Swannanoa, Black Mountain, etc, or slightly south.
I have a house in the Leicester area. It is currently rented out. Might be selling it before too long. My renters have been there several years but are now having trouble paying rent. II was wondering how the housing market is around there.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

It wasn't too bad when we were shopping in 2022, tbh. Our problem is we really need a 4th bedroom/basement (I WFH) and a garage is non-negotiable. Not a lot out there with those reqs in the sub-$500K range.

Admittedly, we're a bit spoiled in Texas when it comes to houses, though prices down here are getting insane. Texas' problem is that you can't escape what I call the "sea of shingles". Almost 90% of Texas is privately owned land, and with the population booming, they're throwing up subdivisions everywhere they possibly can. No green space, and the houses are all the same and so close to one another you could spit on your neighbors' house without even trying.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
It wasn't too bad when we were shopping in 2022, tbh. Our problem is we really need a 4th bedroom/basement (I WFH) and a garage is non-negotiable. Not a lot out there with those reqs in the sub-$500K range.

Admittedly, we're a bit spoiled in Texas when it comes to houses, though prices down here are getting insane. Texas' problem is that you can't escape what I call the "sea of shingles". Almost 90% of Texas is privately owned land, and with the population booming, they're throwing up subdivisions everywhere they possibly can. No green space, and the houses are all the same and so close to one another you could spit on your neighbors' house without even trying.
Absolutely the same here around Charlotte. Every bit of farm land is sold off to developers to condos or houses on top of each other. The population is booming here as well. There was a period of about a year that if you drove around Charlotte you would see about 20 cars a day with New York tags. Those folks were moving here.
That fourth bedroom is going to be tough. My house there is 3/2 no attached garage but a big shop. 30x20, I used to park my toy cars in there. Good luck on your search.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Absolutely the same here around Charlotte. Every bit of farm land is sold off to developers to condos or houses on top of each other. The population is booming here as well. There was a period of about a year that if you drove around Charlotte you would see about 20 cars a day with New York tags. Those folks were moving here.
That fourth bedroom is going to be tough. My house there is 3/2 no attached garage but a big shop. 30x20, I used to park my toy cars in there. Good luck on your search.
I figure Asheville is somewhat protected, since it's surrounded on a few sides by national forests that would literally take an act of Congress to sell off.

Plus, the DFW Metroplex is up to 7.6M people as of the last census - Asheville area is closer to 500K.

We currently live 30 minutes west of Fort Worth and it's still packed out here. I have a buddy who lives in Keller just slightly north of Fort Worth and I get claustrophobia just going over there for dinner.
Sponsored