Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Hi all -

We are headed to NC next month and was curious to know if anyone recommends staying near the National Forest by Highlands?

Would that be a good area to explore with our rented Rubicon?

Or would Silva be better?

Thanks in advance :like:
Sponsored

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
What company did you rent the Rubicon from?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
The area around Highlands is beautiful. There are lots of gravel forest service roads to ride in both North Carolina and north Georgia. Not much in the way of challenging trails though.

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
commercial and fine-art photographer
Hi all -

We are headed to NC next month and was curious to know if anyone recommends staying near the National Forest by Highlands?

You might be here already, but...

I live just down the hill from Highlands, in Franklin. While I don't have my Rubicon ordered (yet), there are plenty of dirt roads to explore nearby. Don't know if you're looking for intense off-roading though? There's actually a very short, but deeply rutted road that's right in Highlands and it ends at Sunset Rock, which as the name implies, has a great view of the town and the sunset. It's quite popular in nice weather. Other areas I've been to like Albert Mountain Fire Tower and Wesser Bald Fire Tower have some basic dirt roads that sometimes washout from all the rain we've been getting lately, and epic views from the towers. You can see those views on my website: https://www.johnmaclean.com/LANDSCAPES/NC-Scenics/1/thumbs

OP
OP
WAOLIFE

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
You might be here already, but...

I live just down the hill from Highlands, in Franklin. While I don't have my Rubicon ordered (yet), there are plenty of dirt roads to explore nearby. Don't know if you're looking for intense off-roading though? There's actually a very short, but deeply rutted road that's right in Highlands and it ends at Sunset Rock, which as the name implies, has a great view of the town and the sunset. It's quite popular in nice weather. Other areas I've been to like Albert Mountain Fire Tower and Wesser Bald Fire Tower have some basic dirt roads that sometimes washout from all the rain we've been getting lately, and epic views from the towers. You can see those views on my website: https://www.johnmaclean.com/LANDSCAPES/NC-Scenics/1/thumbs
Nice! Thanks for the info šŸ˜
We donā€™t get there for 2 more weeks.

Sponsored

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
commercial and fine-art photographer
Nice! Thanks for the info šŸ˜
We donā€™t get there for 2 more weeks.
Cool. Where in SoCal are you? I lived all over the Los Angeles South Bay beach cities twice for a total of 18 years starting back in 1982. I sure miss it there!

OP
OP
WAOLIFE

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Cool. Where in SoCal are you? I lived all over the Los Angeles South Bay beach cities twice for a total of 18 years starting back in 1982. I sure miss it there!
We live next to San Juan Capistrano

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

dirtydawgsrubi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLUR
If you are looking for challenging trails you can check out Beasley Knob OHV trails. Itā€™s a BOH trail and can be difficult depending on the weather. Itā€™s an hour to 90 minutes from Silva if I remember right but been a while since we were up that direction. We had an absolute great time after a solid rain, but Iā€™m still finding mud in places I didnā€™t know it could reach. Also found out that the crossmember installed in the middle is in a horrible place and it really sucks to have to winch yourself down a trail because you kept getting hung up on it. Thatā€™s where I found out the skid setup is lacking and went home and bought a set of skids. The trail down the middle was the worst and many people were winching up as it was extremely muddy. If itā€™s dry itā€™s not as bad and the surrounding trails were easier and lots of fun. Itā€™s closed through the middle of March so watch the timing.

If you are looking for a little less then you can check out the Cherokee National Forest. Lots of dirt and gravel roads with a couple more difficult ones that a stock Rubi wonā€™t have any issues with. Beautiful area too.

Hope you have a great time and if you need more info let me know as we live right around the area and my wife and I love exploring the places less traveled.

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Hi all -

It's a little farther out from Highlands but I've heard good things about Buzzards Roost. Might be a good day trip. I've never been but hope to this summer. Check out view at 3:45 mark:
Sponsored